Good recording article that mentions modelers.

Good read...echos my own thoughts that guitarists cannot generally tell a modeled vs a tube sound in a mix; it's when your in the drivers seat that that becomes more distinguishable.

I used to think sending a tone to the board/FOH that didn't require EQ-ing on the strips and monitoring the same tone was some sort of holy grail. For years now I just dial up an inspiring tone (usually fatter then it needs to properly fit in a mix) through my CLR's and monitor that, and either let the board EQ it as needed or use the Global EQ (I monitor from output 2 and send output 1 XLR to the FOH and 'copy 1 -> 2').

A lot of the time a tone that really mixes well is absolutely horrible and uninspiring to play. I've used the looper and adjusted an amp/cab to where it sounded great when mixed with the band, but there was no way I could play through it. Recording is a different story....

Great article, thanks for sharing! It's so true what Joe says about how we as guitarists have created a false idea of what good tone is because we are so used to playing on our own right next to our amps, so we don't actually hear what everyone else a few feet further away hear. A lot of guys are trying to dial in this false perception of a great tone on their AxeFx's when really what they should be aiming for is that tone that will sit in the mix the best.

If I had a nickel for every guitarist I’ve interviewed who uttered some variation of the words “I play for the song, not my ego,” I’d have … well, somewhere between 15 and 20 dollars.
Awwww, my coffee! :(

Back
Top Bottom