Good Marshall style amps; bridging the gap between vintage and modern?

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
What Marshall style amps do you guys like that bridge the gap between vintage Marshall and modern Marshall?

I haven’t ruled out the 800’s, but I think they might be right on/under the edge of what I’m looking for. The plexi’s and jmp’s sound fantastic, but I want a little more of the modern element with it. The Friedman’s tend to be a little too dark and wooly for me, even after adjusting the bass and depth, so looking for others. I think even the EVH Blue channel is great, and even the Bogner/Euro Blue is great, but just curious of other options. The JVM is cool too, but might be just a bit too modern/gainy/saturated. Revv could be neat too, but I know they are typically much hotter/saturated, although, they seem to be an amp model that still stays spongey when turning the gain to lower settings as opposed to getting “dry” sounding and stiff feeling as some other amps do.

For reference, I actually use the Shred Distortion pedal for a higher gain tone going into the Morgan AC-20 12ax7 treble, and with a YA 212 Mesa IR. It works great for that modern marshall style tone, and I generally run just that amp, and use different shades of drive pedals. But now with gapless switching, I wanna experiment more with different amps because I feel like I can cop that same sound, but much more dynamic and punchy with an actual amp model, so curious what could fit that bill and what you guys are digging!

So boosted marshall? try a few drives into a 2203 high, all knobs at noon and see how ya do. Real world, SD1 and ts808 etc do the trick. I’ve done SD1-big muff-plexi irl and it rules.
Got ya! I always associate those drives with those amps to be not as “brown” sounding. By that, I think I mean more modern, not the brown sound so to speak. Do those combinations you mentioned get you into that territory with more low and grunt?

Got ya! I always associate those drives with those amps to be not as “brown” sounding. By that, I think I mean more modern, not the brown sound so to speak. Do those combinations you mentioned get you into that territory with more low and grunt?
Grunt yes, low isnt something I try to get more of (bass tone + kick = great low end). Give it a spin!

Grunt yes, low isnt something I try to get more of (bass tone + kick = great low end). Give it a spin!
I’ll check some of those out! I play on in ears a lot, so it’s a good way to hear how this works. I may default to the input boost instead to keep it all contained. A little bit of lows connects the guitar to the bass, but I do agree; too much can make the tone not cut through!

do you have audio examples of what your are calling « modern Marshall ».
Cause I can’t picture it.

You mean more agressive? Scooped?

Cause in fractal world you can get so much tones out of a plexi.
Got ya! I see what you mean; those two words might be confusing by nature of their implied sounds. If I can figure out how to post clips, perhaps I can show where I’m at now.

I used to own a Lee Jackson XLS 1000 and that is one of my favorite Marshall / Modded Marshall sounds! I wish FAS would model it and all of the different modes you can run.

The Trip Tik is good. The Archon. The Spawn Quickrod models are good. CAE3+ is modern marshall vibe. The Soldano models are all great too. FAS Hot Rod. Lots of options in there!

Back
Top Bottom