Good high wattage poweramp for axe that's cheap.

Gamedojo

Power User
I'll eventually get a matrix, but for now I need to replace my unhealthy power amp that's driving an srx712m. These Guys sound best when you have 1000+ watts to feed it

Any suggestions?

That looks really good! I'm scratching my head wondering what advantage the Matrix amps would have over this.

I don't know. Maybe. Tone? Feel? All the other stuff guitarists go bonkers about and can't be put into stats?

:D

I have the Carvin DCM200L that I had used with Atomic passive cabs and also a Mesa 2x12 Recto and it’s a great sounding amp! But for me not enough power when running the FRFR system in stereo. Running bridged/mono to my Mesa cab I found it more than adequate. So I was just going to buy the 1540L: thinking it’s one of the big brothers to the 200L and also class A/B, so it makes sense. But at the time there was the buzz over the GT800 and as you can see in my signature that’s what I ended up with and very happy BTW. Curiosity got the best of me.
What kind of drew me to it was yes the added power but I also wanted to stay with-in a one rack space unit, if I felt it was not sacrificing anything as far as sound. Did not A/B the Carvin and the Matrix and study it. However both amps are pretty neutral, when the matrix was wired up did not have to touch a thing on my patches, it did sound a bit better to me especially in the high-mids and high’s. BTW never had complaints about the Carvin in the first place. However have to keep something in mind the Matrix is 250 watts aside at 8 ohm’s and the 200L is 60 watts, could it be as simple as the added power making it sound a bit more pleasant? Maybe I really don’t know. Or is it the GT800 has a MOSFET design? Again I don’t know or maybe even both factors. All in all the voicing’s are pretty similar.
With my experiences with the 200L (which I still own) and running what your considering (1540L + SRX712). I can totally see you being happy with that set-up. With no need to upgrade in the future (agree with t0aj15 ). The only upgrade you will need is that other SRX712 :mrgreen

Writing about this, I'm temped to go retrieve my 200L since I have never had it running with the AF II or the SRX712's.

John

I don't know. Maybe. Tone? Feel? All the other stuff guitarists go bonkers about and can't be put into stats?

:D

No doubt. So how do they compare? ;)

I take it from your sarcasm you know the one to be superior to the other with regard to those qualities. If so, I'm happy to be educated. :)

If you read my post. I'm looking for over 800 watts of power. The sla is only 200

Sorry... but your post says "These Guys sound best when you have 1000+ watts to feed it any suggestions" nothing in your post said I'm looking for 800 watts or more. Also the ART SLA-2 bridged @ 8 Ohms will go 560 watts just say'n. I thought you might be on a tight budget and for what I'm asking for the ART your not going to a better bang for the buck.

Anyway If cash isn't an issue get the Matrix.

Last edited:
I'll eventually get a matrix, but for now I need to replace my unhealthy power amp that's driving an srx712m. These Guys sound best when you have 1000+ watts to feed it
1. Do you have 1 or 2 SRX712M? Because in the first sentence, it sound's like you've got 1, but the second sentence suggests otherwise.
2. What do you mean by "cheap"?

An SRX712M is rated 800 W RMS @ 8 Ohms. It would be crucial to know if you've got one or two monitors since it is a huge different to suggest one/two poweramp(s) with > 800 W bridged @ 8 Ohms or one poweramp with > 2 x 800 W @ 8 Ohms. Nevertheless, the Matrix GT1000FX, as Sixstring suggested, is a very decent, albeit quite an expensive choice.

Back
Top Bottom