Good budget studio monitors for Fm9 editing?+

Dregsman

Hello everyone I am a new Fm9 user coming into modeling amps out of necessity for fly gigs. I want to have the ability to create sounds at home that will transfer well to the stage. Any suggestions on some budget friendly studio monitors that will give good results for dialing in sounds? I plan on just running my sound thru pa monitors on the live stage with one monitor behind me possibly.

Last edited:
QSC CP8's. Better reliability than the K 2.1 series, less cost as well. 800W RMS. Excellent quality and plenty volume for a small venue with 50-75 people. Sports a variable room setting adjust (default, default w/ sub, DJ, DJ w/ sub, Floor, Speech). Absence of LED screen = fewer OS issues that can go wrong.

Depending on your budget, Presonus Sceptre S8s are powerful and accurate. They don’t “pretty up” the sound by accentuating frequencies, they just give you what you send them. They translate well to any fairly neutral speaker system.

If you’re in a small or untreated space also consider the iloud MTMs (not micro). I swapped from HS5s a couple weeks ago and they sound a ton better since the EQ takes out a lot of the low frequency resonance I had before

At $360 for the pair, the Behringer Truth B2030A monitors are hard to beat. I used them for years with the AX8, FM3 and Axe III, presets translated very well live.
This is probably the best bang for the buck you can get. I use the Truth B2031A with a SVS SP-2000 Pro along with the DCX2496 DSP. I used REW and the ECM8000 measurement mic to make many, many measurements to get a very good response in my room. REW was also very helpful in figuring out where to place additional sound treatment in my space. I have 25 2'x 4' x sound panels ranging from 3-4" deep loaded with 2" Rockwool RHT80 and SoundSafe. The 3" panels use RHT80 and the 4" panels use SoundSafe.
This is my last measurement with the correction from last year. It is not supposed to be flat. I am using a target curve that has a bit of a rise in the low bass response and a slight roll off of the upper treble around 6K.
My target curve is more like this... (measurement and target curve are attached below)

The DCX2496 does the EQ and crossover for the mains and sub. Although, the SVS SB-2000 Pro has programable DSP built-in.
Anyway, the main point is that the Truth B2031A monitrs have a lot of power. And the woofer actually measures closer to 8 and3/4".

I have done a bunch of tests and my conclusion is that modest speakers + acoustic treatment (rockwool or compressed fiberglass) + a home theater sub will yield results that are far more accurate than a pair of $4000 monitors and nothing else.
Home theater subs (like SVS or Monolith) are so much better than any "studio sub". They go far lower and louder with distortion that is extremely low.
Finally, checkout this review of the Truth B2031A. ... Actually, I can't post the link because the anti-spam forum bot thinks links are spam. Google NoAudiophile and Behringer Truth B2031A. You'll find it.

Attachments

• 1677595703393.png
    1677595703393.png
    206.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1677595907725.png
    1677595907725.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 10
I'm using a pair of Yamaha HS7 as my main studio monitors (FM9 => mixing desk => HS7), really happy. These are used in a room of 4 m x 9 m, and I have them room adjusted for any resonances in the room. The room is also treated with 2 bass traps and a low-mid-range absorber The HS8 may have more bass, but maybe too powerful and more difficult to keep in check if your room is smaller than what I have ... I have added an old yamaha subwoofer which I only turn on (very lightly!) during rehearsals to add a bit of oompf to bass and drums. For mixing it stays off. I never exceed about 90 db (makes for relaxed rehearsals).
YMMV!

Back
Top Bottom