Gonna pull the trigger...

Dino334

Inspired
And finally get an axe fx. Let me give a quick back story. Played for many years, studios, stadiums to small bars. Always been a tube amp kind of guy. I use Mesa primarily, have quite a few of their heads and cabs, along with a rack full of goodies. Also use the 6505+ once in a blue moon. My other guitarist uses the axe fx ii, as well as expensive guitars, into a power amp, frfrf, and Marshall cabs. He told me I'm one of the only other guitarists to make him look frugal when it comes to gear...as I'm always getting something.

I'm impressed with his axe fx, but to be honest, I truly love my tone and set up more. Honestly it's hard to beat the true sound of a full on Mesa and midi rig. My other guitarist has been nudging me for quite some time to get an axe. He knows I'm as big a tone chaser and tweeker as he is when it comes to guitar gear. Well, I actually got a pod hd 500x and made a few patches, running directly into my effects return, no cab sim. I'm not joking here, this thing sounded KILLER! I was almost embarrassed by the fact this $500 thing made such awesome tones, running through a $2500 head. My other guitarist was equally impressed.

So here's where it gets interesting. As great as the pod is, there's a discernible (at least) quarter second delay when changing patches. In my book and in a live setting, unacceptable. So I talk with my other guitarist about his axe, asking if he experiences the lag in his patch changes. He said none whatsoever (please tell me he's right). He then told me to quit screwing around with the pod stuff and just get an axe already. He said I'm a "top shelf" kind of guy and I'd end up much happier with the axe. After looking at all the amp models and everything else the axe has to offer, he's absolutely correct.

So with that, I am anxiously awaiting my email from Cliff and the gang, letting me know the axe fx ii xl is ready to be ordered (I've actually been in the list since it was announced, at least since Mid-February or so I believe). I was also on the list for the standard axe ii, but opted to wait for the xl. Now I'm totally gassing for this thing and the anticipation is driving me nucking futs! Anyway, there it is. Can't wait to get this thing and explore the heck out of it. Also can't wait to interact with more of you on here and exchange patches! Sorry for the novel here.

Btw, I plan on keeping my Mesas, running either 4cm or into the effects return and thru a real cab.

To OP, enjoy the ride!
For me the Axe II is a really useful tool, but not the whole toolbox. Not yet.
And you will now hear many other opinions ;)

@Scary, We are both very accomplished players...I usually do for the eye candy and gear up there, as well as comments on the mean full tone from my rig.

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear the hi gain axe fx in my rig then..even more! Have heard some great hi gain stuff from fractal on a bazillion YouTube vids. And yea, the Mesas will make for a great power amp section as well as flexibility with 4cm. Fwiw, I'm using dual recs/roadsters, tc electronics and others thru the rack. Hope to squash the rack to a 4 space with the axe (Fuhrman, G90 wireless, and the axe with my midi switcher in the back)

For me the only tube amps worth using anymore are ones that a) are affordable, b) single channel and c) give me serious nostalgia goggles... I've never really craved the high-gain heads or Plexis that I've tooled around with over the years after getting the Axe-Fx. YMMV. Keeping a RectoVerb or something around to use as a power amp isn't the worst idea in the world though.

Thanks for the great advice! Now I just need that email to come in, telling me to order (I checked and I sent the "wait list" email for the xl on February 28).... C'mon Cliff...like I said, I'm ready to pull the trigger on this hot one!

Yeah... I'd keep the Dual Rec just because it's a solid, nice-to-have amp but for the money I'd seriously consider ditching the Roadster. No need for a 4-channel monster like that. If you did it'd fund the purchase of the Axe in and of itself and you could just use the Dual Rec as a power amp if you don't feel like ponying up for a Matrix or what have you. And the TC... I don't have firsthand experience with the G System/Force but the G Major DEFINITELY can't hold a candle to the Axe and from what I've heard the other two are only barely in the same league as the Axe if at all. I'm tellin' you... the Fractal unit can't replace tube amps entirely (despite what I thought after 19 year old me blew his savings on a Standard) but it can pare your collection down from many to one and make 90% of your rack gear redundant in the process.

Back
Top Bottom