Going Full Circle

tomc3084

Experienced
Well, I have completely gone full circle back to the Axe FX II, and thought I would share my story. I originally went from the Eleven Rack to the Axe FX II, and was completely blown away. At the same time, I really didn't know how to dial a tube amp in properly, so I didn't know how to use the unit to its fullest capability, for my use. I really mainly used the factory presets, and maybe three of my own presets. Nothing special about my presets, and if they were to be lost, I would have not lost sleep over it.
So, I sold the Axe FX II. Not because I wasn't happy, but because I wanted a PRS really bad. Got the PRS, and am STILL in the honeymoon phase every time I pick it up, that's how happy I am with it. So I saved up some cash, and had enough money to buy a used Mesa DC-5. Delivered to me used from GC, it came damaged, but I was still able to power it up and tell that I liked what I heard. By the time I returned it, and got my refund, I saved up some more cash, so I got a Mini Rectifier. Awesome little amp, but just not my thing. Returned it, and got a used Mark IV. Delivered to me used by GC, they(or UPS) managed to damage this one too. I liked what I heard. By the time I returned it, I know exactly what I wanted. I wanted a Marshall tone and a Mark tone. So, I got a Mark V combo and a JVM 410h with a 1960 slant cab. I was told both of these amps would be great for my setup, which is at home. They couldn't have been more wrong. Both sound amazing, but not at the volumes I use them at.
So fast forward to right now, I have a new Axe FX II coming tomorrow. I feel like I needed to go the tube route to know what I was missing, and I don't miss it. I feel like I will be using a new machine all over again, because now I know how to dial in an amp properly, and really know what I am doing. I absolutely cannot wait for tomorrow to get here! Thanks for reading!

Awesome! It's amazing how you can do all your research, read thought tones of opinions, tutorials and specs and still it all comes down to personal, first-hand experience. I've gone through quite a bit of gear too. Did all the research, bought what I thought was the best and sold it again later that week. As you said, you definitely end up learning a lot.

That all makes sense to me.

I think while not required, if you do have some knowledge about tube amps, the AxeFx is a little easier to grok and also makes an awesome first impression too!

I think the thing about the axe is that Cliff too knows how an amp should sound and feel in a way that is not easily quantifiable.

Welcome back Tom!! I had the 410H and 1960B running with a G-System, Hot Plate, ProrackG, Sunday Driver, multiple pedals, cables everywhere, swapping speakers, tubes and more pedals before I bought the AFX2. After playing one day, turned it off and decided I'm done with all this, tore it all down right then and sold it off to go the AFX2-FRFR route and will never regret it.

I have owned so many amps and other gear things over the years.... I love my Axe-FX II. I have only had it a month or 2, but I literally want nothing else. Hell, I usually dont even tweak it. I put it on a preset and just usually end up playing that preset until I am done. I dont know if I have ever done that. I still have a Mesa Rectifier, and I dont think I have turned it on for months.... THAT is saying something because that amp is basically my dream amp I have owned for years....

It's an awesome feeling to not GAS for any amps, it's like I got a huge monkey off my back. As soon as I got a Marshall I was GASing for a Mesa. Then I was GASing for a Fryette Sig X. I then had it in my head that I would someday own a Fortin Meathead. Now I have no urge to have any of those amps, I have all the awesome ones in one box! I feel like I can finally focus on learning more theory, working on my technique, and writing music. Life is good.

Yeah when a look around my practice space and see my dream amps-Mesa Dual and Fender Princeton-just sitting there unplayed since I got the A2 and CLR wedges. If I had purchased the Axe first would I have still bought those amps-? Or would I have always wondered which was best for me.

Welcome back! I'm glad you decided to give the AxeFX II another try as well as have a new #1 guitar.

I always try to keep in mind when working with the AxeFX II that it *is* capable of just about any tone I can think of. If I'm having trouble dialing something in, chances are I just haven't perfected the right combination yet. For instance, I'm not a rock player, but lately I've been wanting to dust of my sorely out of date rock chops and add them to my guitar toolbox. I've been really looking for a classic metal tone, ala Heaven and Hell era Tony Iommi. Lead tones were coming pretty easy, but getting that "just right" rhythm tone was proving more elusive. On a whim I went and check out some of the factory metal rhythm presets to get a feel for how Fractal was dialing these tones in. It turns out I was maxing the master volume on the Cornford sim (Corncob) and it was making things too "brittle" sounding when turned up. I switched the master volume to noon and it really helped give me a more rich, thick and meaty rhythm tone. I was making an incorrect assumption for the amp model I was using. So, the moral is that persistence is the key. Have faith that the AxeFX II is capable of being the foundation of your tonal nirvana.

Gear is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the journey and you'll be okay.

I will agree to disagree with this statement Scott. I loved the journey that I have taken... fully admit to that but I have found my destination and that is the Axe FX thanks to you ;). I have had some serious gear bondage's broken because of this machine, I may not have all the pieces that I want yet but as far as a tone generator is concerned I truly can say I no longer need a tube amp.

Welcome back.
I was in a similar situation but from the other side, I was in pursuit for the perfect (perfect for my ears) tone for years until I reached the Axe.
I knew exactly what I'm looking for, I knew exactly the features I need.
In the last 5-7 years I went into serious gear acquisition, went through tons of gear, all kind of combos, heads, cabs, pre-amps, multi FX, amp modelers, pedalboards, whatever you can think of.
@ the pick, I was running a 12U rack, loaded with top stuff, brand new TriAxis, brand new Mesa 2:90, t.c stuff, Carvin pre, 2 x ADA pre…and much more and that was on the tube side, I was also debating analog vs. digital so I was testing every new amp modeler coming out, I had all POD's…actually owned every POD ever was.

Then I decided I had enough with tubes and sdecided to try the Axe so got a used ULTRA and was blown to pieces, it took me only 4 months to understand that THIS IS IT! And I sold it and got a II + MFC and the rest is history…
As for today, I've sold all my gear! The 12U rack is gone, the PODS – gone, everything but the Axe.
It's simply has it all!

Back
Top Bottom