"Go To" IRs when all else fails! (your top 3? higher gain)

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
Hello, sometime recent someone posted their go to IR. I cant find that thread but would like to introduce a thread similar, at leat for rock/metal heavy gain. Of course their may be 1 trillion answers. But even I with like 10,000 IR's still use mostly or many stock IR's (in Quantum) or combos. Or some free ones out there. Even feel free to list non free ones.

I like many Im sure are frustrated with the barrage of 'newer, better, perfect ' IR's. Often I try these, buy these and still dont get the ultimate result, which is? (to me of course)

A clear, non phased, full range, great highs lows and mids, UNTAINTED sounding tone. Too often its too this , too that, buzzy, scooped, phased, etc. It never felt this way when I turned on an amp and just heard great sounds, Sure I can adjust other parameters for my eq, but I dont want the IR changing all these qualities (Im sure there is some argument that what I ask is impossible, but its what we are all after no doubt)

I have a few mixes that I have made with OH IRs through the years. Just recently got the Justin York collection since I was using some of their really old ones and am really impressed. As far as factory, I will use a mix of 129/130 (Recto/Recto New Mix) or any of the Recto/USA cabs in the 170's (on an XL).

Cabir.eu Orange 4x12 with G12H30 Speaker. This Cab is perfect for any style.
Listen to the clips.

It's really hard to say because nothing too new can really be a "when all else fails IR" as it hasn't gone through the test of time right?

I still rely on the very first Cab Pack I ever did sometimes. Cab Pack 7 USA Trad SM57-MD421 01. That's the one I use for all my Petrucci type tones. It works for bunch of other stuff also.

Cab Pack 13 is another one. SM57-R121 03 seems to be the best one for me out of this pack. It's what I used for my YouTube intro f.ex. It just always sounds good in the mids and is never harsh sounding. Fat.

After that it gets more complicated. I know a lot of the Cab Pack 20 stuff will become such go-to when everything else fails type of IR's but it's still too early to say which ones so I won't even try to go there. Right now it's PR75 SM57-M160 01.

For everything Fendery I use the Cab Pack 15 ML SM57-MD421 1 or 4. Those just do the job so well and have a lot more depth than most Fendery IR's.

Cab Pack 19 is my go-to for all metal sounds. It has both the extremes. More mids = Citrus. More scoop = Angle but like I said it's still too early to say that it stands the test of time. I'm confident it will but it's still too early to say.

For high gain stuff (which i think the most important regarding IRs) I mostly gravitate towards Cab Pack 7 USA Trad SM57-MD421 01, Cab Pack 7 USA Trad SM57-MD421 02, Chocolate Cake

For high gain stuff (which i think the most important regarding IRs) I mostly gravitate towards Cab Pack 7 USA Trad SM57-MD421 01, Cab Pack 7 USA Trad SM57-MD421 02, Chocolate Cake
Yeah! That's like the tone for "Suspended Animation" and "A Dramatic Turn of Events" right there. :)

Yeah! That's like the tone for "Suspended Animation" and "A Dramatic Turn of Events" right there. :)

I'm always on this cab too, cheers dude!
If you were to try and get an earlier dream theater tone (eg images and words) would there be a certain cab from CP7 you'd recommend? Could never find any info about what mic(s) petrucci used early on, as per usual it's relatively easy to find out what amp and rough settings an artist will have used but a good chunk of people will leave out cabinet and even more so speakers + mics which are usually crucial!

Anyway some more cabs I usually jump to:

- Recto 57
- Basketweave TV Mix
- Citrus mix 57

Unfortunately cannot remember the specific numbers so I'll edit them in later, it's always great when you find a new cab you really like that works well with any preset

Pretty much anything Mikko did in his Fractal Cab packs works for me.

I gravitate towards any of the Cab IRs that use the SM57 & M160 Mic Combination or the Sm57 & R121 Mic Combination. The E909 + 421 Mic combo is a close 3rd if you're looking for some warm midrange tones without that that cutting (read 'present') thing the Sm57 gives. They're usually in the Ace Folder Pick your favorite speaker type and away you go.

My favorite speaker types:
Vox -The ML Class A
Classic rock - PR75
Classic Rock - PR55
Hard Rock/80s/90s tones - CL80 (ML 80s)

Still playing with the right speaker IR for modern/heavy rock. So that's changing all the time.

I know a couple heavy hitters in the industry using his cab IRs too. One day stars will align and Mikko can shoot some Port city cabs with scumback speaker IRs (*Wink wink*).

Pretty much anything Mikko did in his Fractal Cab packs works for me.

I gravitate towards any of the Cab IRs that use the SM57 & M160 Mic Combination or the Sm57 & R121 Mic Combination. The E909 + 421 Mic combo is a close 3rd if you're looking for some warm midrange tones without that that cutting (read 'present') thing the Sm57 gives. They're usually in the Ace Folder Pick your favorite speaker type and away you go.

My favorite speaker types:
Vox -The ML Class A
Classic rock - PR75
Classic Rock - PR55
Hard Rock/80s/90s tones - CL80 (ML 80s)

Still playing with the right speaker IR for modern/heavy rock. So that's changing all the time.

I know a couple heavy hitters in the industry using his cab IRs too. One day stars will align and Mikko can shoot some Port city cabs with scumback speaker IRs (*Wink wink*).
Rosh you are too kind. :) Port City Scumback pack is now officially on the to-do list. ;)

I don't have a single IR that I can always fall back on, but my starting point is usually a cab with Greenbacks in it.
Clean, low gain, high gain, the Greenbacks can usually handle it.
...and an SM57 for the mic because I'm superstitious! XD

I'll try to get my hands on these. :)
I have a Port City OS 212 loaded with Scumback M75s. I would offer to sell or loan it out, but I think Mikko does most of his work on a separate continent from where I live. If there is any interest in buying or borrowing my cab to shoot IRs though, let me know. The only reasons I haven't sold it already is because I am lazy and I want to get some good IRs of it first.

I have a Port City OS 212 loaded with Scumback M75s. I would offer to sell or loan it out, but I think Mikko does most of his work on a separate continent from where I live. If there is any interest in buying or borrowing my cab to shoot IRs though, let me know. The only reasons I haven't sold it already is because I am lazy and I want to get some good IRs of it first.
Where do you live? ;)

Back
Top Bottom