Go to amp models for 90’s Rock/Grunge

I'm stuck on the Fryette D60 More for just about everything these days. Killer Nasty ass amp. After 5 years tweaking fractal gear I have a pretty good understanding of all the controls in the amp block to tweak that sucker from clean to mean. Just went through 50 cover songs for a new old project and used the D60 for 98% of the songs. I'm not talking close enough tones I'm talking oh hell yeah thats it. Also using a custom IR I shot of a V30 greenback 212 I have. Funny thing is I now realize after using that custom IR for a year the mic I used is Shit needs a new element but it's more aggressive than anything Ive found from too many cab packs Ive bought.

That's a GREAT amp. I owned a VHT-era Deliverance 60 for a few years.

You have me wanting to mess about with the model of that. :)

Been hung up on Marshalls and blown away by how good they
sound and often forget to even explore more.

I mostly use a JCM800 live for 90s stuff. I use the Hairy Brown Eye for AIC. I like the Bludotone too for stuff that needs smoother drive. Not really period accurate at all, but it sounds good and that's all that matters.

I mostly use a JCM800 live for 90s stuff. I use the Hairy Brown Eye for AIC. I like the Bludotone too for stuff that needs smoother drive. Not really period accurate at all, but it sounds good and that's all that matters.
Mind sharing your JCM 800 settings?

Same here. Kind of have to pick an option and then make it work, and the JCM800s in the Fractal
work great. I have a Preset with the Brit800, the Mod800, and the BritMod#34 in different scenes.
Put a boost in front for a little more, leave the boost off for a little less, and roll the guitar volume back
for slightly broken up clean tones.

You could get more exact with several different amp models and some well-chosen drives, but my experience
playing live with multiple different amp models (meaning different types) is that the differences are far too stark.

I bet a Bogner Blue/Red would be a good fit, too. Not as dark as the Shiva/Shiver which I find too thick.

Late 80s / Early 90s Melvins generally used Marshalls with a Proco rat in front. I've not tried to do that sound on my FAS actually but I will try it. Drop the gate right down on the input as you will want plenty of feedback.

Same here. Kind of have to pick an option and then make it work, and the JCM800s in the Fractal
work great. I have a Preset with the Brit800, the Mod800, and the BritMod#34 in different scenes.
Put a boost in front for a little more, leave the boost off for a little less, and roll the guitar volume back
for slightly broken up clean tones.

You could get more exact with several different amp models and some well-chosen drives, but my experience
playing live with multiple different amp models (meaning different types) is that the differences are far too stark.

I bet a Bogner Blue/Red would be a good fit, too. Not as dark as the Shiva/Shiver which I find too thick.
Yup that’s the key. Just pick something and go with it. I use 2 main amps for 90% of the songs I play. JCM80 and Ojai. I get a lot of mileage out of those 2 presets. I might try out the Blue/Red just to see how it goes live.

@Dirty145

When I get home, maybe not until next week, I will upload my patch I use for Grunge stuff. I am less about absolute emulation though, but the JCM patch works well for me.

I can’t since it’s from the Austin Buddy Live Gold pack. I can look later tho to tell you the cabs used. I think the only tweaks he does is on the authentic page though.
I own the Austin Buddy Live Gold pack as well. Do you just plug and play with one of his scenes?

I own the Austin Buddy Live Gold pack as well. Do you just plug and play with one of his scenes?

I don't know what the original preset was called (now it's called PRS Fuck Yeah Man because I'm a child), but I found one in Live Gold that is PERFECT for my PRS, perfect in the sense that if I were in a cover band, I'd probably stay on that preset all night and cover all the ground I'd need. It's using a Friedman BE 2010 in each scene, but the cabs change up. With the split coil on the PRS and the variations in gain, that one preset covers a LOT of ground.

Looking at AxeEdit, I have an EMPTY spot between the Small Box AX3 and the C45 Brown Eye AX3 presets, so it's safe to assume that the preset is the one between those two, because I just dragged it over to where I keep my main presets.

If anything, I'd just tweak the EQ. The preset on it's own can do the STP/Soundgarden/Foo Fighters thing easily, but maybe for some AIC stuff I'd drop some mids a little bit or maybe even some of the highs, depending on which song/era it was from.

Last edited:
What I loved about the "Grunge" period was the revitalization/rebirth of what is known as "vintage" gear.

Just like the thrift store clothing that became synonymous with what became known as "Grunge"
there was a pawn shop mentality to the gear. They literally played the crap no one else wanted
because it was the peak of the shortlived Rack Heyday along with them there pointy headstocks
and wang bar thingies. ;)

We do a ton of 90’s stuff - Pearl Jam, STP, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Collective Soul, Weezer, etc. and my go to is the Small Box with the gain on 6-7, and switch over to the 5153 Blue Channel for the heavier stuff, with gain around 7, but the input gain dialed back to 0.6 or so. I also use the BE C45 on a few songs.

I am playing through a EBMM Axis SS with Suhr Thornbuckers and really like the attack and note separation with some of the overall gain reduction. YMMV.

VTM was called a Mississippi Marshall though, I think. And I think Chris Cornell liked to blend the Recto with an old JMP for his Super Unknown tone.

I play a lot of this stuff and the Brit 800 and Recto1 Orange Modern get it done for me.

This is pretty cool and related to the discussion here on SO many levels. Never get tired of sharing
and resharing content like this.

I recommend watching the entire thing. Huart's Produce Like A Pro series/channel on Youtube is some
life-changing stuff.

Beinhorn talks about the importance of finding complimentary tones between the guitar and bass and
how a clean bass tone is not ideal. Great stuff! :)

Last edited:
We do a ton of 90’s stuff - Pearl Jam, STP, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Collective Soul, Weezer, etc. and my go to is the Small Box with the gain on 6-7, and switch over to the 5153 Blue Channel for the heavier stuff, with gain around 7, but the input gain dialed back to 0.6 or so. I also use the BE C45 on a few songs.

I am playing through a EBMM Axis SS with Suhr Thornbuckers and really like the attack and note separation with some of the overall gain reduction. YMMV.
Would love to see your presets!!! That’s all the bands we cover as well. I have an EBMM Sabre and also a 60th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul V3.

This is pretty cool and related to the discussion here on SO many levels. Never get tired of sharing
and resharing content like this.

I recommend watching the entire thing. Huart's Produce Like A Pro series/channel on Youtube is some
life-changing stuff.

Beinhorn talks about the importance of finding complimentary tones between the guitar and bass and
how a clean bass tone is not ideal. Great stuff! :)

Awesome share!!!

Back
Top Bottom