Global Volume Setting - Getting presets at equal volume?

RobertR

My apologies if this has been discussed before, I did do a quick search and didn't find what I needed.

I got my Ultra a couple weeks ago, its amazing. However, for now, I'm just trying to get a handle around all the presets and the volume difference from one to the next, even two right next to each other in order, is vast. I can go from being too quiet to way too loud. Is there any way to go into global settings to get the preset volumes all at basically the same level?

Some background:
I'm using playing through a yamaha wx7/vl70m set up (wind controller and rack mount synth) mostly. I run it through a mixing board and then into the ultra. I also have a bass going through the mixing board and a microphone through which I play flute and sax. I then run the ultra directly into a powerd mackie board with EV speakers.

Thanks!

Robert

Oh yea...it's been discussed before...
After much hand wringing and consternation...I found that the best way to do it is to assign an external controller (button not pedal) to the Volume INC/DEC
Press the I/O button.
Page over to CTRL
Scroll down to Volume INCR
Press ENTER
It will say LEARNING
Press a button on your midi device (Use one you're not using for anything else)
Then do the same thing for Volume DECR

When you're playing...change patches...if it's too loud...tap the button for DECR...it will drop your patch output volume by, I believe 3dbu.
If it's not loud enough, in comparison to previous patch...tap the button for INCR.
These changes will be permanent in the patch.

If you're a live performer and you play venues where they have house production (sound)...you may encounter situations where different systems are higher or lower at different places and if all your patches are completely level in venue A...it may not be that way in venue B...these buttons are real time change so, you can fix on the fly for separate locations.

Thanks! I will give it a try. I was hoping there would be some simpler solution. Any idea why the preset patches have such different volume levels, I've never encountered this problem on other devices before.

The other solution I was thinking of would be to just copy the patches I like to user banks and adjust all the volumes individually.

The stock presets are all over the place volume wise. With my patches I just went into the mix and just tweeked the level til I got my patches to be the same volume. Actually, from my rhythm to my lead there is a small boost on the lead. Very simple.

I know what you mean though when scrolling through the stock presets. All of a sudden....BAM, 150 db's

Cliffs Tips - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki
I think this had some info on levelling.
I appreciated the info in this link and checked the wiki to see if there was a section called Cliff'sTips or something like that but had no luck finding it and couldn't even locate this link directly on the wiki home page. Maybe there's a section I'm missing. Do you know how you would get to this link directly from the wiki home page? Thanks ...

Yes, they're all over the place - kind of dangerous if you're not careful, you could easily blow a speaker.

Oh yea...it's been discussed before...
After much hand wringing and consternation...I found that the best way to do it is to assign an external controller (button not pedal) to the Volume INC/DEC
Press the I/O button.
Page over to CTRL
Scroll down to Volume INCR
Press ENTER
It will say LEARNING
Press a button on your midi device (Use one you're not using for anything else)
Then do the same thing for Volume DECR

When you're playing...change patches...if it's too loud...tap the button for DECR...it will drop your patch output volume by, I believe 3dbu.
If it's not loud enough, in comparison to previous patch...tap the button for INCR.
These changes will be permanent in the patch.

If you're a live performer and you play venues where they have house production (sound)...you may encounter situations where different systems are higher or lower at different places and if all your patches are completely level in venue A...it may not be that way in venue B...these buttons are real time change so, you can fix on the fly for separate locations.

Would this work for this method? BOSS U.S. - FS-6: Dual Footswitch

what exactly does the volume INC/DEC change in the patch? How does it save if you dont hit Store>Enter>Enter....I may have to program a few buttons before the next show.

Could this work with a single TRS cable? Can the Axe differentiate the A/B switch in it's expression pedal jacks? This would be an AWESOME solution if it does...anyone?

Just for clarification, do you mean into the back of the Axe-FX unit itself or into an MFC-101? The answer is 'Yes' for both but slightly different cables.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom