Global solo volume control

Knobs McGee

Inspired
Hey yal’

Here’s an easy-to-build project that some of you might find useful.

With any effects/modeling processor I’ve previously owned, I’ve always wanted a way to globally control the level of my solo presets in relation to rhythm presets. The AX8 is the first to allow me to do this.

Have you noticed that the amount of boost you need for your solos is much higher in loud situations or in reverberant spaces? What seemed to be the perfect amount of boost for loud stage volumes is too much at quieter gigs and peels your ears back when playing along with recordings at home. This simple devise would allow you to control the level of all your solo presets with one knob.

It’s just a 100k pot connected to one of the “Pedal” jacks on the AX8. All the parts can be purchased for under $15.

Start by programing all of your solo presets with the maximum amount of boost you might need for a rockin’ gig. Just insert a volume block at the end of the chain on all your solo presets and assign the volume parameter to be controlled by the corresponding “Pedal” jack (1-4). Calibrate the pot as you would a controller pedal. I set the minimum level for the volume block(s) to be at an equal volume to the rhythm presets. That way, with the knob all the way down, the solo presets are the same volume as the rhythm presets. Turn the knob up for the amount of boost needed. I assume that this could be set up for those using X/Y or scenes for their solo boosts.

Note: I made a separate mounting plate so I don’t have to goop the AX8 with Velcro adhesive. It attaches using upper-left foot screw and flat head screw on the rear. You could put your controller anywhere depending on how long you make the cord. You might consider a 6’ to 8’ cord to attach it to your mic stand for easy gig access.

I hope some of you find this useful.

Knobs

Volume control 1 (2) (640x480).jpg Volume control 2 (2) (640x480).jpg

Yes! Very nice idea.
I completely agree with you. The amount of solo boost is different in different venue and also depends on the mixer and frfr system.
In axe fx II I use to put a global volume block at the end of all my patches and to activate it for solo..
Being global it's easy to tweak on the fly for all your patches in 5 seconds..
The problem is that ax8 doesn't have global block.
This could be a solution!

I use an expression pedal with an adjustable minimum level and attach it to the global volume. So the pedal down at the heal is rhythm volume and the toe position is max solo volume. This allows me to get some in between volume boost s as well as being global for all patches.

Thanks for your thoughts gents. I tend to like dedicated presets for solos as I can dial in just the amount of drive, EQ, FX, etc. for a solo. That's one of the amazing things about the AX8, there's multiple ways to do so many things, depending on the results you're looking for.

If i was to include a boost block within my signal chain within the Ax8, is it better to have it before or after the amp block?

Great thanks, its purely to get a few Db volume for solos etc

Then you want it later in the chain. In the end, with any kind of gain staging just think of what it would do to a real rig. The result of adding volume in front of an amp depends on if the amp is already clipping or not. Guitar players screw this up all the time with traditional rigs - so many run a boost pedal in front of a dirty amp thinking it gives them a solo boost when in fact all it does is compress the signal and more often than not will reduce the chances of the solo cutting through.

Back
Top Bottom