Global amp model bypass won't save

Axeman

Experienced
I discovered something and I'm not sure if it's a glitch or done on purpose.

If I bypass an amp model that is NOT a global amp, and then save, the amp shows it is bypassed. Then when I switch presets and go back to the preset with the bypassed amp, everything is ok.

BUT when the bypassed amp is a global amp it shows it's bypassed after the save. BUT when I switch presets and come back to the bypassed global amp preset, the amp is NOT bypassed.

Why is this happening? I need to bypass a global amp and keep it that way so I dont have to send a CC command every time to turn it off.

This is not happening with the cab models or any other effect. If I bypass and save, the stay that way.

The implementation of the Global amps feature is not as seamless as one would want or expect.
The bypass state of an Amp Block that use a Global amp is simply not saved with the Preset.

I think Cliff grafted the Global Amps feature into the Axe at a late stage in its a development.
It uses a separate area of memory for the Global Amps and certain things that you'd expect from the Global Amps feature simply don't work as expected.

Eg. The old unofficial Editor by Lars couldn't even edit an Amp block that was assigned to a Global Amp.
Not sure how the new beta Editor handles this.

Eg. When you do a firmware update that involves new amp Block parameters update the stored parameters for any Amp block within a Preset that uses a Global amp often go a bit wonky.

Still... I'm very glad that the Axe has Global Amps anyway.

This won't be very useful if you need that global amp engaged in other presets but I found a way to save any global as bypassed: bypass amp, press "enter" while anywhere within the amp edit pages, save the preset. Now any preset using that global amp will load with it bypassed. Engage amp & do the same enter/save process to go back to loading engaged.

Can your controller send a CC message automatically when you recall the preset? If not then you might have to set up a vol. or mixer block after the amp with an External attached to level(s) or just maintain the preset separately without using a global amp.

Thank you for replying. So it's supposed to work that way. Got it.

I guess I will have to go with no globals or cc changes (yes, my controller can do that).

The problem is when I'm manually switching between presets.

Perhaps there should be a separate option for saving bypass globally. I like the global function, but I dont need the bypass saved globally, just individually.

Again, thx!

Back
Top Bottom