Glenn Fricker reviews the Axe-fx II

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is funny.... ok looking at this forum, check out the recordings section and the preset axe change and tell me what "by and large" is the majority of users of the Axe FX. ... but somehow this guy's Toronto underground metal scene is more relevant?

In fact the majority of pros signing on are using the Axe FX for metal and I guarantee that they are not simply using a 5150 model into a Mesa IR with a TS.

So his statement that sound guys are rubbish isn't at all sweeping Ben..?
unsure.gif

There is some truth in it, yes - no question of that... but in 1000+ gigs over the years, we've encountered 'sound men' about five times. The joys of being self-contained
thumbsup.gif

I assumed we were talking about his generalizations regarding the Axe FX.

As far as foh goes, I do think it is a bit risky to solely depend on the soundguy at a small venue for your sound.

This is funny.... ok looking at this forum, check out the recordings section and the preset axe change and tell me what "by and large" is the majority of users of the Axe FX. ... but somehow this guy's Toronto underground metal scene is more relevant?

In fact the majority of pros signing on are using the Axe FX for metal and I guarantee that they are not simply using a 5150 model into a Mesa IR with a TS.

I hate to break it to you, but this forums membership does not make up the majority of the users of the unit.

What a blow of a review.
The guy is a self righteous retard, all I heard was mumbo jumbo and lots of swearing.
He is not funny, not knowledgeable, gets the facts wrong - just another self proclaimed expert (that's another way of saying never-has-been and never-gonna-be), who hasn't been able to keep up with the times in any way.
He is a dinosaur, but not the kind you want show to or teach your kids about.
Am I to tough on the guy, I don't think so, maybe, but I'm hungry and the time I spend watching he's ramblings could have been far better spend making myself a sandwich :)
.......now where is that ham and cheese.....

Last edited:
What a blow of a review.
The guy is a self righteous retard, all I heard was mumbo jumbo and lots of swearing.
He is not funny, not knowledgeable, gets the facts wrong - just another self proclaimed expert (that's another way of saying never-has-been and never-gonna-be), who hasn't been able to keep up with the times in any way.
He is a dinosaur, but not the kind you want show to or teach your kids about.
Am I to tough on the guy, I don't think so, maybe, but I'm hungry and the time I spend watching he's ramblings could have been far better spend making myself a sandwich :)
.......now where is that ham and cheese.....
And yet you have to consider his target audience.. If you tell him something negative(the truth), he will reply that you don't understand Metal. He attempts to come off as an expert in his field and tells his followers exactly what they want to hear. Note the title of his video clip, "XXXX vs. The Real Deal". What did you think was going to happen?

And yet you have to consider his target audience.. If you tell him something negative(the truth), he will reply that you don't understand Metal. He attempts to come off as an expert in his field and tells his followers exactly what they want to hear. Note the title of his video clip, "XXXX vs. The Real Deal". What did you think was going to happen?

Yep I knew where it was heading within the first second

all I heard was mumbo jumbo and lots of swearing.

That's a major cause of the loudness war in music* today, it kills your ability to hear the things right and blows your brain out of your head - so all you can get is "mumbo jumbo" - poor you! :lol

* ="Death magnetic loud as fuck approved music"

So you are recording a song with your 5150 and decide the bridge really needs a different amp sound.

It sure is easier to spin the dial on the AxeFx than it is to flip the 5150 and buy the other amp (if the price comparison is to be accurately maintained).

That inconvenient-as-can-be solution, or it's more expensive alternatives, seems to have slipped out of all of his math.
I would think a producer would have latched on to that distinction....

Maybe he is the bass player?

Last edited:
I honestly don't get all of the bunched up panties about this. Despite the fact that he's a "dinosaur" he still said that the Axe sounded as good. That's much more than any tube snob will ever admit.

That's what I was thinking too.

To get a guy like that, so opinionated, to admit that he could tone match a real amp, is kind of a testament to the Fractal.

Albeit not exactly glowing review, but still, that dude would have never admitted in a million years any other modeler was even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom