Glasgow kiss

Playing is excellent, but yeah- there's a high end bite that makes it a little sterile. Not sure what to dial back though... are you using 10.03?

Thanks guys!
Attached the patch I used. I downloaded it form another user a long time ago, made some own adjustments.

Rich G. said:
Playing is excellent, but yeah- there's a high end bite that makes it a little sterile. Not sure what to dial back though... are you using 10.03?
I agree, that's exactly what I'm struggling with on my patches. The highs always tend to be thin and sterile. I normally use redwirez cabs, but I switched back to the cali cab in this patch because I liked it better overall. The highs were very harsh so I cut at around 8k. And I'm actually at 10.0, don't really know why I haven't updated yet. Will do soon :idea:

Attachments

• Petrucci Lead 1.syx
    2 KB · Views: 189
Did you do direct recording? Or did you actually mic your cab?

If you did direct recording, any suggestion on how to get a good tone? When I tried doing direct recording, I couldn't get it to sound as good as listening through headphones.

Izzyprad said:
Did you do direct recording? Or did you actually mic your cab?

If you did direct recording, any suggestion on how to get a good tone? When I tried doing direct recording, I couldn't get it to sound as good as listening through headphones.
I'm not the right guy to ask, but I'll tell you what I do.

I record direct into Cubase through a Focusrite Saffire 6 interface. I used headphones for monitoring (DT770), though many people don't recommend using headphones as reference. Personally I don't think it sounds as good through headphones, not even playback. I also think it's harder to play this way, but most of the time I have to. When I playback through speakers it usually sounds better. I don't do anything special with the patches I use for recording, besides what I did with the PEQ to cut the high freqs. There's probably a lot more I could do to improve my tone.

What kind of setup do you have for recording?

Thanks for the reply.

Currently, I have Axe-fx going into Echo Mia Audio interface (planning to get TC electronics konnekt 6), then to Cakewalk Sonar.

I just got Axe fx couple days ago, so I tried recording with some High gain presets, but they didn't sound that good, sounded kind of muddy. But maybe I just need to do some post processing to get that high quality sound.

torkolort said:
I agree, that's exactly what I'm struggling with on my patches. The highs always tend to be thin and sterile. I normally use redwirez cabs, but I switched back to the cali cab in this patch because I liked it better overall. The highs were very harsh so I cut at around 8k. And I'm actually at 10.0, don't really know why I haven't updated yet. Will do soon :idea:

What guitar are you using and what pickups do you have in it? Your guitar tone is actually really good for the most part, but the "coldness" we're hearing sounds a good bit like the result I get when I plugged my Stock JP50 (Nasty sounding pickups.) into my Axe-Fx. Your pickups or guitar may be great, but they may not be ideal for achieving the sound that you seek.

I recommend trying an EQ at the very front of the signal chain (In front of the drive block, etc.) to see if reshaping the sound of your guitar helps.

Seriously, though, massive props for achieving the results that you did while monitoring through headphones. I have some Grado SR60i headphones and Adam Monitors, and even though the headphones are absolutely wonderful for casual listening and gaming, I can't see myself using them for mixing or tracking.

SOD_Nightmare said:
torkolort said:

What guitar are you using and what pickups do you have in it? Your guitar tone is actually really good for the most part, but the "coldness" we're hearing sounds a good bit like the result I get when I plugged my Stock JP50 (Nasty sounding pickups.) into my Axe-Fx. Your pickups or guitar may be great, but they may not be ideal for achieving the sound that you seek.

I recommend trying an EQ at the very front of the signal chain (In front of the drive block, etc.) to see if reshaping the sound of your guitar helps.

Seriously, though, massive props for achieving the results that you did while monitoring through headphones. I have some Grado SR60i headphones and Adam Monitors, and even though the headphones are absolutely wonderful for casual listening and gaming, I can't see myself using them for mixing or tracking.

Thanks, I'm using a Music Man JP6 (no piezo) with the original humbuckers. Not actually sure exactly which ones though...
I'll experiment with EQ as the first block, haven't done that before.

Thanks for your feedback!

Some files that came across from the old forum are corrupted I'm afraid. There are a few Petrucci lead patches flying around here and there. Clark Kent probably posted some so check out his posts.

Back
Top Bottom