Giving the CLR a try

Rick

Axe-Master
Most here know me to be a pretty happy RCF player. The NX12SMA has been a true road warrior, handling hundreds and hundreds of gigs, hundreds more rehearsals, and untold hours of practice and tweaking time in between. After six years of non-stop work, it still sounds great. I couldn't ask for a better user experience.

I want to add an FRFR speaker at home so I don't have to haul one between gigs and the music room, so after a profitable month of playing I decided to spend my spoils on a second top-line speaker. Having never played a CLR, but obviously hearing a lot about it here, I decided I would get a Neo Mk II and see what all the talk is about!

Any suggestions or tips on getting the best sound from experienced users are welcome. Also, I'll need a cover so if you know of a good one, pass that along!

Yes, I did some searches here and other sites, and several folks spoke very highly of Studio Slips. I've checked out their site and like the look of the Clamshell covers.

Your presets should translate very well over to it. The presets I create on mine translate very well to my XiTone’s and Friedman’s. If anything a couple of minor tweaks should be all that is needed.

Thanks @bishop5150 , that's good to know! I am also particularly interested in the two independent channel inputs as well. On some really tight stages, I thought it might be possible to run my vocal mix to it as volumes in those scenarios aren't too loud. I tried that once with an Eon, and it was less that spectacular for guitar tones!

That is a very convenient feature. That's how I practice our set at home. Run my iPhone into one channel and my AX8 or III into the other. Crank it up and practice. it's also been great for building my AX8 presets on the III. With an A/B box I can switch back and forth between the two to compare the sounds with the AX8 on one input and the III on the other. I leave my CLR's at home and gig with my XiTone's and Friedman's.

Last edited:
That is a very convenient feature. That's how I practice our set at home. Run my iPhone into one channel and my AX8 or III into the other. Crank it up and practice. it's also been great for building my AX8 presets on the III. With an A/B box I can switch back and forth between the two to compare the sounds with the AX8 on one input and the II on the other. I leave my CLR's at home and gig with my XiTone's and Friedman's.

I was doing this for a while but it sounded like it was not jetting enough level from my phone Galaxy S6 so I went out and bought a small mixer for this task. I wound up with a PreSonus StudioLive AR8! So far it's been a great little mixer for the money/task.

Very cool. I get plenty of signal from my iPhone. It can get insanely loud through two CLR’s The family loves it. LOL! On a side note, the Anytune app is fantastic for playing with and learning songs.

I'm learning all kind of handy things here!

The only other thing I can think of is properly gain staging the CLR.

With the Master volume on the CLR down, set the input volume on whatever channel you are plugged into until you get a red light. Then back it off until it goes out then adjust the master where you need it.

This was the main reason for the mixer, even with the volume on the phone all the way up it did not have enough output to accomplish this.

Looks like it'll be next Monday before it arrives so it'll miss the weekend's gigs, but that'll give me time to get a set up and (possibly) time for the cover to arrive from Studio Slips before the following week's travels. It'll be good to have a great sounding speaker at home now, whichever one that ends up being.

Good for you Rick - you are in for a treat !
When they were first released, I wrote a very long and in depth review of the original active mk 1 CLR wedge used in multiple scenarios, that made a lot of people aware of the CLRs, and I love them as much now as when I wrote that review.
I switched from a set of RCF NX10SMA that I really liked to the CLRs, and to this day I have not found / tried / heard any wedge <2.5K $ that can better the CLRs as a live wedge.

I've got the RCF and a CLR.
Patches will translate beautifully.

Don't put them side by side and crank them both.....because after you do, you'll want to take them both with you everywhere. :)

The wedge arrived today, and is a good looking, compact, and (relatively) light speaker. I am going to A/B it with the RCF this week and see how they sound.

Early impressions:
I'll be glad to get my Studio Slips cover in before gigging it. I have had speakers with this sort of finish, and if it is the same, mars relatively easily. As it sits, literally, at the front of the stage, it's important it looks good.

I can actually see the coaxial speaker mounting arrangement, and it looks substantial. It should hold up well.

At first glance, the cabinet appears to have two angles available to use (not counting the upright, backline arrangement) which is something I love and often use on the RCF when I am closer/further away from my rig based on stage width. On closer examination, this isn't so, as the second surface houses the controls and heat sink. I will make some sort of wedge to place under when I need more than the factory wedge angle, but less than backline or stand mount. If you haven't used a dual-angle speaker, you'd be surprised how handy that is!

Everything else looks clean and well fitted. I am looking forward to the tests!

Ok, set them up side by side, used a dB meter to get them to the same volume level (loud :confused:), connected them to an A/B/Both switch and let fly with patches from the Double Verb, Triptik Classic and Tucana Lead, Solo 100 Lead, Friedman BE. Let's say it right out, both speakers sound killer! Articulate, punchy, all those positive descriptors we use to say "sounds good." The 6 year old RCF stands up just fine, the CLR sounds as good as I thought it might, given the players here that rave about it. Punched up to 108-110 dB average, which is about as loud as you want to listen to these things at 5 feet away from the speaker face, everything sounded wonderful. You really get a sense of how the Axe FX sounds when you get the volume up in an enclosed area. Authoritative comes to mind.

Prefacing the conversation with the fact the patches were all dialed in on the RCF to start with, I came to these observations in my quick play test:

CLR: Probably the most balanced speaker I have heard. Lows, mids, highs don't overwhelm each other and that helps keep everything easy to hear. Side by side, it's brighter than the RCF. Not bad brighter, but different brighter. I really couldn't tell if it was more highs or less lows, or both. And, as for the 200 watt difference, it was no concern. They both get louder than I will ever use. The CLR wins on feature set by virtue of the second channel and master. It's a touch taller, but narrower than the RCF.

RCF: Frankly, I'm glad to say my favorite of many years did not disappoint. It produced a rounder, fuller bottom end that filled out chords and made the crunchy karang of the Friedman really growl. The top end seemed a bit less transparent than the CLR, giving a slightly less defined sound in the upper end. Again, not unpleasant at all, just different.

I had to do it:

Don't put them side by side and crank them both.....because after you do, you'll want to take them both with you everywhere. :)

RCF and CLR together: @BBN was right... that's just mind-altering. The RCFs lows with the CLRs highs, and every patch sounded great! I put a few stereo sounds on and (for a long-time 1 speaker guy) it is hard to explain how alive it sounds. In reality, I won't be using two speakers, it just isn't needed for what I do. But man, does it sound nice.

Opinion: Just what I thought. I'm used to the RCF after 6 years of gigging it, so it sounds more familiar. The CLR has a slightly different, but really appealing, sound that I liked right away. They sound different enough that you can easily tell which is on without looking, but I am quite sure either will do just fine without even changing my patches. I have a feeling, due to the high end projection, the CLR may cut through on a louder stage better. The RCF is warm and personal, and works great on the non-arena sized stages I normally frequent. So I am keeping both, will gig the CLR and get a feel for it in the real world, and report back sometime in the future. My NX12SMA will get a well deserved break doing music room duty for a while, and I'll decide later which to gig with.

With these speakers (and others like the Xitone, etc) and the Axe FX III, this is a great time to be a guitar player. The options are amazing. The sheer volume you can get from such small packages is staggering, and the quality of the sound is spectacular. This is pure fun.

I am warming to the sound of this speaker as I play on it more. Very clear, very articulate. Found out, somewhat unintentionally, that it sounds great playing back recorded music too! Punched up some Monte Montgomery and the Axe III was set as playback device. Sounded very nice!

Keeper.

I am warming to the sound of this speaker as I play on it more. Very clear, very articulate. Found out, somewhat unintentionally, that it sounds great playing back recorded music too! Punched up some Monte Montgomery and the Axe III was set as playback device. Sounded very nice!

Keeper.
It really is a great sounding speaker. It lives up to the hype.

Some of the roundess could be due to speaker break in as well. maybe put some music on the clr on loop and let it run for a few days.

I am curious as to the differences in dispersion between the two. Any thought along those lines as you compared?

Back
Top Bottom