Gilmour rotary speaker emulation

spufuz

Inspired
I have spend a while today, trying to emulate Gilmours "liquid" lead tone.
He have/has been using everything from leslies to Yamaha RA-200 and Doppolas, mixed together with the WEM or Marshall cabs.

The RA-200 is my favourite sounding rorary speaker that he uses. It has three rotary heads spinning independently at an horizontal axis.
The sound from it is more shimmery with a chorus-sounding effect to it.

Its virtually impossible to emulate this 100% but I used two rotary blocks in parallel set at two slightly different speeds.
I actually think it captured a lot of that liquid in Gilmours tone im looking for!

The trick is not to let the rotary blocks be to loud. If I bypass them, you really hear the difference.
They should only add to the tone. Making it come alive. :)

Heres the matrix:
floyd+comf+numb.jpg

You can listen to a sample here if you like!
Remember im not trying to copy Gilmours tone completely, but I actually think the tone is somewhere in between Pulse, the wall, and Gilmour´s more recent tones. The tone needs a bit more bite, and I´ll share a preset when im happy with it!

Here´s an update!
This is an early attempt to emulate the Electric Mistress. Added a flanger and a detuner, slightly controlled by a couple of LFO´s sweeping some parameters.

Hope you like it! ;)

Attachments

• floyd comf numb.jpg
    floyd comf numb.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Very nice! Please do share that when you feel it's ready. What axe and pickup position was that played on?

Last edited:
Great sounding clips, Well played.
I prefer first sound clip, it's slightly more dark sounding to me, but I find the effects to be more in the sweet spot, one maybe just a bit more bright or slightly more bite...
Which amp/cab is in use?

Great sounding clips, Well played.
I prefer first sound clip, it's slightly more dark sounding to me, but I find the effects to be more in the sweet spot, one maybe just a bit more bright or slightly more bite...
Which amp/cab is in use?

I hear you! It all need some more work but im quite impressed with what the Axe can do! This unit is serious stuff!
I use the Double Verb into stereo cab with a Basketweave TV MIX and the 1960A (G12M).
Amp is kept clean and fed with two drive blocks. BB-preamp into Tube Drive.

You people are very kind!
I would not have posted a clip here without be willing to share the preset!

Ill post it on AxeChange when its "ready" and let you know in the Preset Exchange section.
Im planning on uploading a bunch of Floyd-presets when they are ready! :encouragement:

You can even the volume mix up. By messing with the rotary output level and mix . You can get the levels pretty close when you turn it off.

Excellent! Brilliant!
+1 for preset on AxeChange.
Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom