Gigging and flying: guitar as checked or carry on baggage?

I have one not-very-pleasant story that involves Sydney International Airport and Korean Air. This was maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I was returning to Korea from Australia. Went to the airport check-in with a Steinberger GM4-T in a small gigbag - had a boss GT-8 in my check-in suitcase. I never had problems with the guitar before that because it was small and didn't ever draw attention but this time I got a, "What is that item on your shoulder?"..and so it began...

Australia had apparently introduced a regulation preventing passengers from carrying items that could be 'used as weapons' onboard international flights - including tennis rackets and small guitars. I heard the check-in woman and this other staff member she called over talking about the strings and how they could be used to hurt somebody. The silly twat at the counter was neither impressed by my sarcasm directed at her lack of intelligence nor the stated value of the guitar and insisted that if I wanted to escalate my irritation she would call security. Finally after much appealing and arguing, a flight crew member got involved who said they would personally carry the guitar on and off the flight for me to prevent it going in under the plane. I had to sign a waiver though saying KAL would not be responsible for any damage. "Don't worry...I will look after it for you" said the sweetly smiling cabin attendant. I felt secure, at that point.

Arrived in Incheon. Got through immi and I started to walk to the carousel as I wasn't sure where to collect the guitar but figured it would be near there somewhere. As I'm about 20m from the carousel I see my guitar, all alone in a bucket, running up towards the top of the bag drop off at speed and then...CLUNK. It slammed down onto the conveyor belt, into the steel rim and copped a fractured neck joint. Korean Air denied responsibility and refused compensation. I paid to get it fixed myself. I was very angry about it.

After this episode, I never ever assumed I'd be able to carry on a guitar. But I came and went from Korea many more times guitarless and a couple of times saw people of 'non-western appearance' carrying acoustic guitars at Incheon pre-immigration arrivals coming off the same flights as myself - always from Sydney. I have to wonder...

Since then I try to fly Asiana but it's hard to beat Korean Air for convenience.

On the positive side though, I flew Incheon to Sydney last year (Korean Air - again...mileage trip) with my Axe FX II in a 2-unit Gator backpack with a semi-hollow electric guitar in a hard case and they tagged my guitar with the condition that it 'maybe will get checked in at the gate' - no issue. No issues with the Axe-FX except at X-Ray time when the security lady asked me what it was and I simply told her, "it's like a computer for making music" - straight through. Didn't attempt to take any of my gear back to Korea though ;) Never had issues getting out of Korea with gear - just Australia can be difficult.

Domestically, there was the time in 2005 (Sydney to Melbourne) when I was sent back out from X-ray because I had a tremolo bar in my gig bag. Had to check in my tremolo bar! Fortunately, my luggage was still at the check-in area so I just added it to my suitcase. Weird world we live in.

The silly twat at the counter was neither impressed by my sarcasm directed at her lack of intelligence nor the stated value of the guitar and insisted that if I wanted to escalate my irritation she would call security.
And that my friend is why it always pays to remain friendly and composed with dealing with officials. Even if you think they are complete morons. I've had a few run ins with the police for speeding and traffic wardens for wrong parking, but by remaining friendly, composed and completely agreeing that I was wrong I managed to get out of a few tickets.

Venting at them may feel like a huge relief but it will never help your case.

Hi Folks,
Did anyone had issues with neck after a checked luggage flight? Due to temperature/humidity/pressure variations?
If so, any suggestions to minimize these impacts?

Thanks!
No such problems on my side. More problems when arriving in a tropical country with a "non-tropicalized" guitar. I live in France. I have one gtr I don't bring anymore to Asia or Africa because in such humid countries the neck gets torned out badly. Now I only bring gtr with double truss rod.

Tampa based, flown out to NY, Mexico X2, Texas X2 all in the last 12-14 months, always carried on my Mono Dual case with 2 guitars and accessories in it. Never a problem. Fits in most overhead compartments, not small planes, yet most reasonably sized planes.

No such problems on my side. More problems when arriving in a tropical country with a "non-tropicalized" guitar. I live in France. I have one gtr I don't bring anymore to Asia or Africa because in such humid countries the neck gets torned out badly. Now I only bring gtr with double truss rod.

Thanks for your feedback. I bought most of my guitars over here, Hong Kong, and the few I brought has been settling for over 10 years now so I think they are ok.
Was mostly worried about the changes in temperature, pressure etc when checked in.

Tampa based, flown out to NY, Mexico X2, Texas X2 all in the last 12-14 months, always carried on my Mono Dual case with 2 guitars and accessories in it. Never a problem. Fits in most overhead compartments, not small planes, yet most reasonably sized planes.
Good to know your peaceful experience ! I never dared to fly with my Mono dual bag as hand luggage. It's big as a hardcase for an acoustic, which they refuse usually. I have already enough check-in problems with one solid body gtr in a softbag. If I fly with 2 gtr, one will be checked.

Wow nice - I fly a couple times a year for corp. gigs and usually its a larger boeing and everytime I'm very tempted to try bring the Mono Dual but its a bit thick and I'm always scared they'll make me check it.

Last year I had to fly out of a small airport with my PRS in hardcase and it would never have fit overhead so I had to check it. Literally filmed them loading it off on the tarmac. They set my prs case on its side on the edge of this motorized cart with no rails or sides to stop it from just tipping off. I was screaming and they were yelling at me to stay back. Finally one worker figured out it was a guitar and grabbed it for me. Out of 10 or so flights that was the only time I was that nervous. Other flights its just dealing with some crabby flight attendants who forget their written rules about it going overhead. If it fits, first come first serve. Last time I had a very flamboyant flight attendant who was pissed at me by just seeing the guitar on the plane. Not much you can do with that haha

Wow nice - I fly a couple times a year for corp. gigs and usually its a larger boeing and everytime I'm very tempted to try bring the Mono Dual but its a bit thick and I'm always scared they'll make me check it.

Last year I had to fly out of a small airport with my PRS in hardcase and it would never have fit overhead so I had to check it. Literally filmed them loading it off on the tarmac. They set my prs case on its side on the edge of this motorized cart with no rails or sides to stop it from just tipping off. I was screaming and they were yelling at me to stay back. Finally one worker figured out it was a guitar and grabbed it for me. Out of 10 or so flights that was the only time I was that nervous. Other flights its just dealing with some crabby flight attendants who forget their written rules about it going overhead. If it fits, first come first serve. Last time I had a very flamboyant flight attendant who was pissed at me by just seeing the guitar on the plane. Not much you can do with that haha

Yeah, it is always hit or miss with the flight attendants. Yet when there's 5 of us walking on, it's kind of obvious what we do. Actually one attendant made an announcement to the plane that we were onboard and the whole plane cheered, LOL. Then we invited everyone to the show. It was a free festival in NY, so no biggie...still a fun thing to do.
Anyway, as long as it fits (and I've not had a problem) it IS first come first served. It's not the thickness, it's the length. No thicker than most carryon bags these days.
Although the tiny plane that hopped from Phoenix to Mexico wasn't full and they actually had us belt the guitar cases in the seat next to us. Never heard of that before, but better than a noisy neighbor and I knew my babies were safe.

Back
Top Bottom