Gigbag/Case Duo 24 Question

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Happy Monday, people!

I was seriously checking out the "Let's See Those FM9's" thread and wondered how much I'd need to save to buy a Pelican Air 1615 travel case for my Temple Audio Duo 24. The two questions I'd need to ask are:

Would a well-insulated Studio Slips bag be better for local street or rail travel, or
Would the Pelican survive better if ever I needed to travel via air?

Cost for the Pelican with Combo Pouch and pick and pluck designed fitting foam with tax is about $665.
I can guarantee that the Studio Slips bag, even with bells and whistles, would be less than $325.

If it were you, would you enjoy the convenience of ABS-steel reinforced plastic, or consider a Studio Slips bag?

My concern is that I don't play at regular gigs, nor travel via air. Please consider the pros and cons of each before offering your suggestion.

Last edited:
For local stuff and flight carryons a decent soft case is fine, I’ve done both many times with the Helix backpack (helix originally, now FM9). If it's getting checked or it’s going in a trailer then pelican/SKB only.

Last edited:
Here we are: The Pelican V1650 series with green exterior/variety of handle color; pick & pluck 2 center foam inserts, 2 base and cover foam inserts. Eggshell lid foam. $422 plus tax. Scroll down to the discounted offer: Add a mesh divider lid compartment (Must add to cart to view discounted price).

Thanks for the encouragement up to this point, guys. I think the Studio Slips will be enough for local travel and with double padding, safe against mild dings to the gig bag.

Would have chosen the v1650, but my budget has enough moths flying these days...

That's where my search began. The 1615 models with foam and combo pouch top out about $610 without factoring in tax. Was wondering why someone who doesn't regularly gig or fly need a HC? Might prefer the quality gigbag in this instance...
That's the one he is already looking at...
Sorry I scanned the post really quick and thought about @rnjscooter post.

StudioSlips are great bag for those short trips! If you are worried about something penetrating the top you can always add the inside pocket and slide in something that is flexible but rigid like one of the flexible cutting boards you can buy on Amazon. I opted for the extra padding just for good measure.

A little OT from the OP but saw this online yesterday. How the heck does this happen with that case (not sure of the brand)?

Full article here.

Edit: For those skipping the article, this is the fine work of Delta Airlines.

IMG_5149.jpeg

Last edited:
That's where my search began. The 1615 models with foam and combo pouch top out about $610 without factoring in tax. Was wondering why someone who doesn't regularly gig or fly need a HC? Might prefer the quality gigbag in this instance...
got my 1615 air travel for $494.10 shipped and received in one day. Reach out if you are interested in where I got that price.

Sorry I scanned the post really quick and thought about @rnjscooter post.

StudioSlips are great bag for those short trips! If you are worried about something penetrating the top you can always add the inside pocket and slide in something that is flexible but rigid like one of the flexible cutting boards you can buy on Amazon. I opted for the extra padding just for good measure.
Thanks for the suggestion. There are several flexible plastic cutting boards residing on my kitchen counter. Will make use of one or more if necessary. The Studio Slips bag was just about $295, shipped. I don't have room in storage for a Pelican, now that I think of it, and will select the Studio Slips with bells and whistles.

A little OT from the OP but saw this online yesterday. How the heck does this happen with that case (not sure of the brand)?
Full article here.

View attachment 139676
That’s an SKB iSeries. I have 2 myself and we have several more with the artist I primarily work for. Hundreds of flights (mostly on Delta) since 2018, never had a scratch on any instrument we’ve checked in those cases. There’s no way that happened inside the case, this must have been done purposefully by TSA or an airline employee.

That’s an SKB iSeries. I have 2 myself and we have several more with the artist I primarily work for. Hundreds of flights (mostly on Delta) since 2018, never had a scratch on any instrument we’ve checked in those cases. There’s no way that happened inside the case, this must have been done purposefully by TSA or an airline employee.
Staged for the purpose of collecting insurance? Sigh. Why would anyone damage a nice instrument unless they had criminal intent?

Unless the guitar was already damaged and was being shipped to a luthier for repair. (I'll let myself out now...)

Now that I've read the article, it seems there are many Pete Townshend wanna-bees at Delta Airlines...

Back
Top Bottom