Gig report

sskkmm

Power User
First real gig here in VA with the Police tribute band. We played a simple 30 min set as part of a tribute band night. Nash TC63 -> AX8 -> Friedman ASM12. Had the AX8 set for output 2 to go to FOH. We were only given like 10 min to setup after the band before us, but it only took me about 5 min given the simple setup. I went to grab the XLR / Mic from the previous band's amp as the sound guy was busy with the other side of the stage. He saw me unwrapping the cable from the handle of the Fender Deluxe (yeah was just laying down on the grill) and FREAKED out...DON"T TOUCH MY STUFF and grabbed it out of my hand.

Well, just trying to be helpful. Wasn't even a great mic - some un-named beat to hell thing duct taped to the cable...but anyway, kept my cool and explained I don't need the mic - I have an XLR ready to go from my processor. He wouldn't have any part of it...insisted on laying the mic across the Friedman. Sigh. Tried to explain that it would be far easier and better sounding to go out of my AX8 but said no way - I am not re-equing the board for you.

Ah well.

No idea what it sounded like FOH and didn't really care but if I get some video /audio that is decent I will share. ;)

The AX8 was great...I had no issues and was fairly happy with my sound on stage. A few minor tweaks of amp EQ, but that was about it. So nice.

this is a case of " bad sound guy " to his best. too stupid to turn a knobs.
( I am a 10+ years FOH guy I can complain about that ;) )
but don't let him do next time,tell him he will have to use it, to don't change his precious EQ, he can simply bypass it as you absolutely need it flat ;)

Here you can see the excellent mic technique on the ASM12. Heh.

Even more telling is the mic work on the previous band's Marshall cab. Wondered why his guitar sounded so crappy in the house...

wapT4b6.jpg

Even more telling is the mic work on the previous band's Marshall cab. Wondered why his guitar sounded so crappy in the house...

wapT4b6.jpg

Lol this sound guy needs a new career. The Marshall cab mic job had me rolling on the floor. That is either ignorance, laziness or both. Who mics the baffle of a cab???

wapT4b6.jpg
This must be a top of the line FOH sound engineer since he put the PA stack behind the the vocal mics stands..... :) and put the mic on the Marshall logo in the middle where there are no speakers..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom