Gig patch advice

Strike3

I am about 6 months in gigging Ax8 exclusively. I am still learning and trying to sound better live.
I included 2 patches below that sound very different to me, and I'm not sure exactly why. I know they are different amps, etc. but I mean just in clarity and fullness
The home made patch is one I created and use quite a bit. Sometimes I like it, other times it sound thin and small
Recently, I tried Mark Pritchard's small things patch ( thanks Mark), and to me, it sounds much clearer and overall bigger. I used it quite a bit last night at a gig and it sounded fantastic, much better that my home made patch.
If any of you get a chance, see what you think, sometimes I get some ear fatigue and what sounds great one day, sucks the next. If you have any suggestions on improving the one I made, please let me know. I need to really dig in and experiment, just haven't had a chance yet. Thanks a bunch

Attachments

• Home made.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 9
  • All The Small Things.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 12
Hi. There are so many variables that could be the issue - I would highly recommend loading the Austin Buddy Dream Rigs to obtain a consistently good range of tones. You could still keep any patches you like but the dream rigs covers every amp in a clean / low gain / med gain and high gain setting. It takes a lot of the guess work out of setting up your AX8.
You can choose a few favorite amps, add the fx you want (if they are not already included in the chosen patch). and you will be confident that your set up has had the input of a professional. Hope this helps!!

This is what I did real fast and it opened it up quite a bit!

By the way there was no cab block attached in the preset you posted so I added the V30 factory cab.

Attachments

• Gig Lt 1.syx
    12.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks Six! It does sound better. I was using a OH gnr cab, I forgot about that. I like the ultra you chose and had not used that one before. I noticed you also reduced the input gain. I gigged it last night and it was definitely an improvement. I'll look closely at your patch and see what else you adjusted. I also swapped out the zen for a fet preamp and that seems to sound a bit clearer as well. Thanks for taking the time

Your welcome!

I felt it had a bit to much gain and that tends to compress things, once I did that I was able to open up the input gate and that will allow things to open up. I believe the other things I moved were the speaker low resonance freq, the low cut in the cab block, input trim, Bass and Depth in the amp block.

You didn't mention the type of pups you are using (high or low output) so depending on weather you like a little more string in your tone that is a good place to play.

Rock it!

Back
Top Bottom