Gift of Tone 2023 FINAL - Neal Schon!

I'm just chiming in to echo what others have said... I can't load the preset onto my Axe FX III. All of my updates have been installed and any time I try to load the preset it just gives me a blank preset. No blocks, no preset name, nothing.

Edit: my apologies. I THOUGHT I updated the firmware but it wasn't up to date. I'm dumb. I was able to update then load the preset. I do have a question though... I understand the effects are tied to an expression pedal, but I don't have expression pedals nor do I want any. How do I unassign the effects from the controller? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There is only 1 reason a preset will import blank:

The Firmware version is not the same or newer than the version the preset was created with. (Needs to be 23.05 or newer for this one).

There are 2 reasons why a preset will not import not at all:
  1. Attempting to drag-and-drop the preset from the zipped download folder. The downloaded preset folder needs to be unzipped/extracted.
  2. Attempting to drag-and-drop the unzipped/extracted preset into the grid in Axe/FM Edit. If using drag-and-drop for presets, which none of the instructions for importing the presets suggests, it must be dragged into the Preset name text box.

How do I unassign the effects from the controller?
1. Right click on the little yellow dot at the bottom of the "input gain"
2. Click the "Source 1" field, change the parameter to "none", close the window
3. Set the "input gain" value to your taste
1703523477495.png

This patch sounds amazing. I'll download it, but I am afraid to play through it as I don't think I can give it the justice it deserves. This whole 'gift of tone' is just pure awesomeness. The collaboration between Neal, Carter, Fractal, etc is second to none. You guys are all about giving the best tone possible at the fingertip of the masses. Thank you!!

This patch sounds amazing. I'll download it, but I am afraid to play through it as I don't think I can give it the justice it deserves. This whole 'gift of tone' is just pure awesomeness. The collaboration between Neal, Carter, Fractal, etc is second to none. You guys are all about giving the best tone possible at the fingertip of the masses. Thank you!!
Make sure to get the GOT files from last year also (noticed you're a new member).

This preset is amazing, and very insightful on how Neal uses his FM9. Thanks to Neal, Cooper and the entire Fractal team!

One question: It seems one constant in Neal’s rig for decades and still today appears to be a Boss CS-3 compressor sustainer. I was curious as to why this was left out of the patch ( I know that Neal uses actual hardware CS-3, but his hardware Fuzzface is included in the patch in virtual form.)

Also, any insight as to how Neal uses his CS-3? I always thought that it was his main lead boost, especially with the settings he uses based on photos, but I could be wrong. Any clarification would be appreciated.

On the FM9 version the reverb block doesn't contain the Stratocumulus channel. Is it possible to update the download? Thank you!
Same issue here. I added it and copied what settings I could see on other YouTube videos but would like to have the correct version

Reactions: rog
Thank you Neal, FAS, and Cooper ! Always hoped for this one... Since it's a "Gift," would it be too much to ask for Neal's fingers and a LP with a Floyd !? ;-) Seriously though...Thank you guys !!

This preset is amazing, and very insightful on how Neal uses his FM9. Thanks to Neal, Cooper and the entire Fractal team!

One question: It seems one constant in Neal’s rig for decades and still today appears to be a Boss CS-3 compressor sustainer. I was curious as to why this was left out of the patch ( I know that Neal uses actual hardware CS-3, but his hardware Fuzzface is included in the patch in virtual form.)

Also, any insight as to how Neal uses his CS-3? I always thought that it was his main lead boost, especially with the settings he uses based on photos, but I could be wrong. Any clarification would be appreciated.
I was curious how his solo boosts were being handled live as well. He does use pedals along with the Fractal so hopefully @Cooper Carter can tell us.

anyone else surprised the low cut in the cab is sub 40hz? sounds flubby to me.

also surprised how much reverb/delay he incorporates considering quite a few here use very little reverb.

what i really love about this GoT series is it helps me realize which of my presets i need to revisit and tweak.

anyone else surprised the low cut in the cab is sub 40hz? sounds flubby to me.

also surprised how much reverb/delay he incorporates considering quite a few here use very little reverb.

what i really love about this GoT series is it helps me realize which of my presets i need to revisit and tweak.
They probably dialed that 'Low Cut' in to Neal's personal preference for his monitoring setup. FOH is very likely cutting some lows.

I am a self-proclaimed Reverb-oholic. That expression pedal attachment allows for controlling the wet effects levels. But I was a bit surprised about the Reverb length though. I would have suggested that the Delay 'Feedback' and the Reverb 'Time' also have been tied to the expression pedal to shorten them at the lower effect level ranges.

Is there anyone with enough technical savvy to somehow convert the lead tones here into something that would work in an AX8? This is killing me...Schon's lead tone is my dream tone...and here it is...but can't use it!!!

Is there anyone with enough technical savvy to somehow convert the lead tones here into something that would work in an AX8? This is killing me...Schon's lead tone is my dream tone...and here it is...but can't use it!!!
There are a few hurdles with that.
  1. The Reverb model used doesn't exist in the AX8 or Axe-Fx II. Could likely find/tweak a reasonable substitute?
  2. The Preset uses three different channels. Could break it up into 2 presets. One Green (Clean) channel, and one Orange (Rhythm) and Red (Lead) channels?
  3. The Modelling has changed quite a bit over the years. Even using the same Amp and Effect "models" and settings (where available), it will sound different. Manual tweaking can get it closer, but a 'Live Tone Match' using the Axe-Fx II might be useful in bridging the final gap, if necessary?
I may take a stab at this when I get time and see how close I can get? I will include Neal's expression pedal attachments for the Delay and Reverb.

Last edited:
  1. The Reverb model used doesn't exist in the AX8 or Axe-Fx II. Could likely find/tweak a reasonable substitute?
  2. The Preset uses three different channels. Could break it up into 2 presets. One Green (Clean) channel, and one Orange (Rhythm) and Red (Lead) channels?
  3. The Modelling has changed quite a bit over the years. Even using the same Amp and Effect "models" and settings (where available), it will sound different. Manual tweaking can get it closer, but a 'Live Tone Match' using the Axe-Fx II might be useful in bridging the final gap, if necessary?
Yes, I think #3 would be the biggest hurdle as there could be suitable workarounds for the other points.
1708108202316.png

I may take a stab at this when I get time and see how close I can get? I will include Neal's expression pedal attachments for the Delay and Reverb.
I mean, honestly, if I could get the parameters I could probably 'rebuild' something close in the AX8...I don't use cab emulation because I'm using a tube power amp through a 2x12 open back cab.

But listen...even if it's in the BALLPARK close you will be my new hero!!!

Yes, I think #3 would be the biggest hurdle as there could be suitable workarounds for the other points.
View attachment 135177
You don't know how badly I wish I could. I'm a just retired high school teacher married to a recently retired middle school band director with a disabled 23-year old daughter at home...the only reason I was able to spring for the AX8 was I found one online that had been pawned and got a really sweet deal on...otherwise I'd still be running with my Eleven Rack.

Reality, at times, sucks. Oh well!! It could always be worse!! I'm thrilled with the AX8 overall...does everything I need it to do (other than handle the Schon presets!).

Back
Top Bottom