Gift of Tone 2023 FINAL - Neal Schon!

One bizarre moment really defines Schon in my mind.

What always surprised me most about him was the 900 hour solo section of Stars by Hear-n-Aid. All of these virtuousos were trading measures, and it was Schon's section that actually hit me. I thought, "this is somehow much more awesome, tougher, and more badass." Eloquent description, I know. It was just his attitude in the guitar coming through with pure feel and fire, and every time I've heard it I felt like I could see a rare direct comparison of what makes him special as a player. Not to deride any of the other players at all, but consider this, he wasn't pushing to make his band dark or tough or metal, but, playing with a gaggle of metalheads, he truly sounded more metal than any of them.

I think we all cannot help but to respect the hell out of his musicianship, taste, writing, and phrasing, but that one little section of that bizarre collaboration is what defines him to me, in the best possible way, even if it has nothing to do with his musical career.

So anyway I'm beyond excited to get a small glimpse into his current thinking about tone, and I'm not surprised if it's a simple preset. Tone is all in the mind. To paraphrase what Matt put so eloquently, it takes more than the gear to sound like this motherf**ker.
Well I guess it's official, I'm really not metal (not news!).
Never heard that song or saw that video before, never even heard of it.
Even more, I didn't recognize more than a very few of those faces, just their names in the credits.
Decent song though, and some good playing.
Learn something new every day...

Schon joined Sanata's band when he was teenager in the early 70's.
I joined Santas band as a teenager. It was a great gig until Grandma got run over by a reindeer.

P.S. all, I think if I recall correctly from a rig rundown with Cooper, Neal uses a dedicated expression pedal (EXP 2 it looks like.) to control his wet mix in case you are wondering why these scenes are super dry.

Last edited:
I have just tried to listen to this with my headphones, but it seems that every time I put them in my ears my wife decides to talk to me! So it is on my YT watch list for later!
Lol, You won't regret it. The first time I listened to it way back when I couldn't stop for awhile. At least for me it just felt so emotionally in tune to me an still does.

All his solo stuff is really good, my preference(if I had to choose)is 'Electric World' from 1997, methinks it kinda fusiony...

It’s the final GoT?!? Bummer. They were all really cool appreciate you guys sharing these sounds with us. Wes’ was immense.

I am new to Fractal, but I have had ZERO success downloading these presets into my FM3 version 7. No go on this new Neal Schon gift.
Presets tab at top--import preset---choose (unzipped?) preset as syx file...no go.
Any insights? Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom