GIFT OF TONE 2023 #4 - Chris Baseford

I don’t have a whole lot of other preset packs Austin Buddy I think is only one
But I would definitely be interested the presets you have shared have been great

-I have an FM9 at present
- tones I gravitate to are more in the modern hard rock
Like Shinedown , Daughtry
Stapp , Nickelback , Hinder
I also dig country stuff cleans and edge of breakup
But I am a rocker at heart

- I would prefer Dyna cabs although a few custom IRs is cool as well.

-some amp model presets I would like to see perhaps Rectos
Bogner XTC red, Marshall Silver Jubilee , Dr Z, /13

Thanks

Hi Chris

Dynacabs for sure - there’s more insight and learning to be gained from how you would dial them in than an IR selection! There was a lot to learn from your presets - and I’d like that to continue with how you dial in the cabs.

It’s the heavies for me - your Morgan Ac20 sits perfectly in a mix - as does your revv - so more high gain amps - the hot rod Marshall’s and your take on some boogies

On FM9

1) what Fractal unit do you use (Axe III, FM9, etc.)?
FM3

2) what type of sounds do you need/want (rank in order of importance): clean, edge of breakup, crunch, heavy, lead/solo, special fx?
Medium gain like Green Day and those type of sounds

3) what other packs have you purchased in the past? What do you like/dislike about them?
None

4) do you prefer preset packs that utilize stock IRs/DynaCab, or include/require add-on IR's
DynaCabs prefered but with some add-on IRs or Dyna Cab packs as well

Hi Chris

Dynacabs for sure - there’s more insight and learning to be gained from how you would dial them in than an IR selection! There was a lot to learn from your presets - and I’d like that to continue with how you dial in the cabs.

It’s the heavies for me - your Morgan Ac20 sits perfectly in a mix - as does your revv - so more high gain amps - the hot rod Marshall’s and your take on some boogies

On FM9
Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with your comment about the DynaCab vs. IR. Although I have some IR's that I love, I've always found them to be so confining to 'that' particular sound. Sometimes no matter how much you tweak the amp, the IR just makes everything sound the same. By giving DynaCabs instead, I could allow the player to tweak it for whatever fits in the track best. If that means moving it a bit one way or another. Just gotta get Fractal to give us some more DynaCab options ;)

Will this work with the FM3?
to be completely honest, I have no idea. I would assume there are limitations as you move through the various devices. Maybe someone else can chime in and let us know. Once I know what the limitations are, I can start making new presets in such a way that they're easier to adapt to each device. Or if someone wants to volunteer to "port" them to the various units, that would be awesome.

Will this work with the FM3?
Not with the two amp blocks. The layout would also need to be reworked to fit into the FM3 grid, simply importing into the FM3 would result in a lot of breaks in the chain and misplaced blocks. It would be great if someone other than Chris would work on it, if it hasn't been done when things settle down for me in a couple of days I'll take a crack at it.

You’ll only get one amp block, and you’ll have to move the chain around and remove some thing’s because of CPU limit, but you can use on FM3.

I realized I may have overstepped by not checking with Chris to make sure he was okay with someone tweaking and sharing his preset. While it is a free preset, one does need to sign up on his website to get presets via email. I've DM'd Chris and am waiting for his reply.

Ended up not needing to 'work' tonight so here's an attempt to create FM3 friendly presets. The Axe III preset has 4 scenes for each 'VH4 Channel; Silver 1-4, Blue 5-8. In the FM3 Blue preset, Scenes 5-8 were duplicated in scenes 1-4. The Silver preset, Scenes 1-4 were duplicated in scenes 5-8. I checked both presets on my FM3 non-turbo and they run @75-85% across the scenes.

A bonus with Chris' presets is getting effects he's dialed in on each of the channels in a block. You will notice some blocks are missing in one preset but present in the other. This is to give you his effect(s) settings for those blocks. The only blocks not in either preset is the GEQ, Vol/Pan and Wah block. These aren't used in the Axe III preset and don't have different types or settings in the channels.

Each preset has a Drive block, but there are two in the Axe III preset. Both Axe III Drive blocks have different drives and settings in each channel. The FM3 Blue preset has the Axe III Drive 1 block, Silver has the Axe III Drive 2 block.

In the CAB Block of the Blue preset, the Axe III preset has the Condenser, Dynamic 2 and Ribbon mics selected. Since the FM3 only allows for 2 IRs in the block, the FM3 Blue preset has the Condenser selected with the Dynamic 2. The settings for the Ribbon mic are the same as the Axe III so try it to see if you prefer that tone. The panning in the OUT 1 block has been reset to default.

EDIT: I'm attaching the other Cab block from the Axe III preset, the 4x12 1960TV Dyna Cab. It's not used in any of the scenes for the VH4 preset but thought I'd add it to give you Chris' settings for the CAB.
No worries at all :). Thank you so much for doing these conversions and I'll get them sent out to everyone subscribed on my website. 🤘🏼🤘🏼

Last edited:
Not with the two amp blocks. The layout would also need to be reworked to fit into the FM3 grid, simply importing into the FM3 would result in a lot of breaks in the chain and misplaced blocks. It would be great if someone other than Chris would work on it, if it hasn't been done when things settle down for me in a couple of days I'll take a crack at it.
That would be great, maybe split them into a VH4 Silver and VH4 Blue preset. He used two different cab blocks but I only get one and dont know which cab channel was used for which preset on the silver amps on the FM3 as the other block was used with these amps but I cant use that cab block with the silver amps as the amp block with the blue amps is not there on the FM3 lol

And of course I didn't sign up for the Email list till yesterday LOL. Watching the live stream and enjoying it though.

That would be great, maybe split them into a VH4 Silver and VH4 Blue preset. He used two different cab blocks but I only get one and dont know which cab channel was used for which preset on the silver amps on the FM3 as the other block was used with these amps but I cant use that cab block with the silver amps as the amp block with the blue amps is not there on the FM3 lol
To this point, the presets he's shared have been 'kitchen sink' presets and not all blocks are used in the presets. This preset only uses one cab block with different channels used for scenes 1-4 (Ch. A) and 5-8 (Ch. C).

This preset did need to be modified it into 2 different presets to work in the FM3, they are labelled 'Blue' and 'Silver' with the corresponding mics and Dyna Cabs in each preset. The Axe III Blue scenes use 3 mics (Cond, Ribbon and Dyn 2) so the FM3 preset just has the Condenser/Dynamic 2 combo. You can try the Ribbon in place of the Condenser to see which you prefer.

I DM'd the presets to Chris so he can send them to his subscribers who have signed up at www.chrisbaseford.com

is the VH4 already in the FM9? FW 5.0?

I signed up a few days ago. When did you guys receive the preset?

Back
Top Bottom