Gift of Tone #15 - PHIL COLLEN of DEF LEPPARD

I've never downloaded a preset so fast! I can't even believe we live in a world where this stuff is possible!!

First impressions of the preset is it's pretty dark sounding. But I guess when you're playing at stadium levels that's to be expected.

Was surprised not to see a drive pedal in the front end.

I'm pretty sure I saw John or Viv's tech Scott talking about York Audio IR's. I think John is on this forum so it would be great if you can confirm this is the actual cab sim/IR Phil uses for this preset...?

Also, I wonder what Ronan the sound guy does (if anything) with the EQ on his end.

Thanks again!
Did you try playing “In the Air Tonight?”

ok, it's very cool to get artist presets...I guess?
I have never been a guy who needs/ or wants to copy an artist's tone.
I liked Def Leopard. I remember hearing many years ago Phil used a JMP-1 preamp. I thought that was pretty cool since I have used one pretty much since they were first released.
So, I DL'd this preset to check out.
All I can say is......quite frankly, that preset is the worse tone I have heard out of my AXE FX.
Sorry if I offend anybody but.....that is so dark/muffled and lifeless sounding to me.

I liked Def Leopard. I remember hearing many years ago Phil used a JMP-1 preamp. I thought that was pretty cool since I have used one pretty much since they were first released.
All I can say is......quite frankly, that preset is the worse tone I have heard out of my AXE FX.
Sorry if I offend anybody but.....that is so dark/muffled and lifeless sounding to me.
Then these gifts are not for you. Use something else and be merry!

No demos from Phil? Tech guy just talks? No 3 cab blended IR that he states is key to the sound.

Am I missing something here?

If the way you setup your presets works for you then great, but If this preset is "dark/muffled and lifeless", I probably would find yours bright and harsh.

If the way you setup your presets works for you then great, but If this preset is "dark/muffled and lifeless", I probably would find yours bright and harsh.

I like bright presets, but if you crank this one up, it's plenty bright for me. Just needs volume. It's a great tone.

I think so. Here is the 3-IR blend, screen captured right from Axe-Edit with today's gift loaded.
I've noticed on my Axe III at least, when loading presets from the gift of tone series, (In particular it seems to affect fasbundle ones, but I've seen it happen to me on both bundles and standalone presets.) that after saving the preset I need to navigate to a different preset and then back for the amp models to appear correctly. Maybe something similar is what is happening to this person in the cab block view?

For example the Devy bundle appeared to be a JTM45 in axe edit until I switched to a different preset and back. Then it was correctly displayed as a Herbie CH3. I'm talking about the amp name below the scene box in axe edit, I'm not sure about how it appeared in the "type" selection on the left.

Keep in mind he is playing outside in a stadium probably 120 DB
You turn up the treble and pres
Or change up the cabs

Just proves that the tone is 95% in the hands. When Phil uses that little Blackstar Fly amp, he sounds just like he does when he plays through the AxeFx. I believe you also need a PC1 to get close to his tone. It has a massive neck, very high output pickups, a sustainer, and 13 gauge strings. Huge tone is virtually guaranteed with that guitar, if you can play it. His old tech told me that the metal pick is a big part of that tone too, which is true. It definitely adds more presence and attack to the sound.

OMG Fractal you've been so good for these 2 weeks that I'm even concerned if these are any prologue for bad news...

I don't think such an observation necessarily proves that at all. If this preset seems dark and muddy, it could very well be the listening environment. Tone being in the hands is more of an 80/20.
I agree. I too find this preset dark and dare I say dull sounding at bedroom volume. However, this is his live preset, and through a million-watt poweramp setup in an arena, this preset probably sounds amazing. I definitely found that turning the volume up on this one brings it to life. Really appreciate FAS and all the artists sharing these :cool:

Back
Top Bottom