Gibson's $1,000 humbuckers

Absolutely ridiculous. I have tried all manner of PAFs, and the best sounding ones I have ever used were a set of Irongear 'Blues Engine' pickups. They cost me £60! Just magnets and wire at the end of the day.

Interesting that they're using Alnico IV in these. Their Custombuckers are A3, Burstbuckers are A2, 490s are A5, but this is their only A4. I say that because the best sounding PAF-style pups I've ever played were A4. So, interesting... but the price... how much does Seymour Duncan sell those Zyphers for... $959. Waayyyy too much for what they are, in both cases.

I do like their Custombuckers, though. They're $500 a set, which is still pretty steep. First Gibson pickup I've liked in a long time.

They’re selling… the first batch sold out. Second batch is in now. I’m not buying, but apparently they’re not having a problem finding takers.

With the prices some vintage pickups are pulling, you knew they’d find a way to get dealt in on this game.

My first port of call (very soon) will be with this local(-ish) to me pickup maker. His "Peter Green" style pups are still a bit expensive when compared to things like Iron Gear etc but I think £350 (approx) is an OK price to pay for hand made pups that sound as amazing as his.

I’ve paid 85 € for custom made pickups made exactly to my given specs. Keep your pickups Gibson.

Last edited:
They’re selling… the first batch sold out. Second batch is in now. I’m not buying, but apparently they’re not having a problem finding takers.

With the prices some vintage pickups are pulling, you knew they’d find a way to get dealt in on this game.
They said they were only producing 1000 and they cost $1000. And then they produced a second batch. So then they didn't make only 1000? I would be pissed about this if this is true. I'd sue them. Screws up my investment... if I had bought one of the first 1000

They said they were only producing 1000 and they cost $1000. And then they produced a second batch. So then they didn't make only 1000? I would be pissed about this if this is true. I'd sue them. Screws up my investment... if I had bought one of the first 1000
I don't know if the first batch was the 1000, or if they were being made in groups of 100, 200, etc. I've seen it done both ways. I can't really speak for them, as I don't know. Something to consider and research, if you found yourself in the buying mood.

Back
Top Bottom