Gibson or Epiphone

I play both Gibson and Epi’s. While I love my Epiphones for what they are, there’s no denying that the Gibsons feel like more alive, opposed to a well crafted representation.

Is a $4k price difference worth it? That’s subjective.

When I bought a Les Paul in 2008 (I think that was the year), I tried a ton of Gibsons and Epiphones, and the one that had the tone for me was a $650.00 Epiphone. It just was unbelievable. If I were to buy a single cut guitar these days I'd prioritize the upper fret access, which really started to hurt my wrist on my Epiphone. For that, I'd go for a CMG Ashlee or a Schecter Solo-II, which has a carved neck heel. By saying this, obviously I'm not a traditionalist, but I do believe you can get equivalent tone out of other brands, with better playability.

I have tried out a few Epiphones over the years and have never really liked any of them. They felt like a cheap import guitar, like most others as that low price point. Have played (and own) a few Les Pauls. Day and night difference

Already said above, but you do need to play them (especially if considering a +$5K guitar).

That said, Epiphone makes fine instruments; they are used by professional musicians. In part, your decision comes down to what your concerns/hopes are for future valuation of the instrument. The Gibson, if properly cared for, will most likely increase in value. Unless something changes, history says probably not so much the Epiphone.

Personally, I'm more about connecting to the instrument, as I don't flip guitars. I'd much rather have a guitar I want to play than anything else. But appreciation/depreciation does matter to some.

Last edited:
A year or two back I would have been able to buy a s/h Gibson LP (with binding, classic, trad, signature t.....) for about £1000-1100 here in the UK. Now to buy one I would probably need to spend £1500+. Gibson guitars can it seems be good investments. Epi's just go down in value.
I have Gibson LP's now which I've owned for years. But my fave personal LP story is how I bought a brand new Gibson LP Heritage Series 80 which looked stunning and cost a small fortune but was not that great to play, so it went to a new owner. I bought a MIJ Fernandes Super Grade LP "replica" (copy...lol) and it was to this day the best guitar that I have ever owned. That was stolen from me which broke my heart. I'd buy one at the drop of a hat if I could find one within a reasonable distance from home. Greco LP's are superb too. I've never ever fancied an Epiphone, I've always hated the headstock shape. For me, I would suggest going Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom