Gibson Neck Advice

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79338

Hi all

Back in 2015 I purchased a Gibson Traditional with an XL Rounded neck. An absolutely beautiful guitar. After some use, I found the neck was just too damn big.

Now, I am in the market for a new Gibson and I am eyeing up a Gold Top Standard 50s with a Vintage 50s neck.

Now I am having a debate with a friend who is saying the Vintage 50s neck and the XL Rounded neck are not the same.

Is there a difference I am missing?

Any advice would be great.

Edit: corrected my time travel date
Edit Edit: apologies that I keep editing the post, my eyesight is dreadful.

Last edited by a moderator:
XL? Never heard that term for a guitar neck from manufacturer but wouldnt be surprised.

The 50s standard is beefy. If you dont want beefy you want the 60s taper.

Also you went back forward in time!

XL? Never heard that term for a guitar neck from manufacturer but wouldnt be surprised.

The 50s standard is beefy. If you dont want beefy you want the 60s taper.

Also you went back forward in time!
Haha, got that post up to 80 Doc!

Yes on the Gibson site they refer to the neck as 12" XL Rounded for the 2015 Traditional.

I have a slim neck on my Gibson Classic so I know how they feel, I was hoping the 50s Vintage was something between an XL Rounded and a 60s.

Budda,

I like the slim neck but it does cramp my hands at times. The Tradional I could play for hours on without any issue. If the Vintage 50s neck is somehow different it may be worth me trying it as a balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I was having a blond moment, they are all 12', it's the contour of the neck that is different.

Still like to know if the neck is the same just under a different name.

I can't speak to the difference between the two necks. I've played several of the new 50s spec guitars and found them to be quite comfortable. If you can measure up your Traditional XL neck I can get you some specs from a new 50s.

Found this on the website for the 2015 Traditional

Profile:Rounded XL
Thickness at Fret 1:22.86 mm / .900"
Thickness at Fret 12:25.4 mm / 1.00"

Similar thickness to the 50's profile, but the 2015 Traditional also had a wider neck as well at 4.5993 cm / 1.795" @ nut, 5.9944 cm / 2.360" @ end of board compared to the Standard LP neck width of 4.305 cm / 1.69" @ the nut , 5.74 cm / 2.26" @ end of board.

I can't speak to the difference between the two necks. I've played several of the new 50s spec guitars and found them to be quite comfortable. If you can measure up your Traditional XL neck I can get you some specs from a new 50s.
Hi mate

I unfortunately sold the Gibson Traditional so I can't measure it.

Shame, that was one nice guitar.

Found this on the website for the 2015 Traditional

Profile:Rounded XL
Thickness at Fret 1:22.86 mm / .900"
Thickness at Fret 12:25.4 mm / 1.00"

Similar thickness to the 50's profile, but the 2015 Traditional also had a wider neck as well at 4.5993 cm / 1.795" @ nut, 5.9944 cm / 2.360" @ end of board compared to the Standard LP neck width of 4.305 cm / 1.69" @ the nut , 5.74 cm / 2.26" @ end of board.
Mr Fender strikes again.

I took a look for those specs but I possibly just exhausted myself going vscl and forth between Gibsons and the consideration of an ESP.

Perfect info once again mate.

I really wouldn't worry. The reissue neck IME are almost always bigger than the originals but they feel fine and you will get used to it pretty quickly.

You'd probably like the 50's contour. It's not as big as the Traditional but comfy. The Traditional is more like the R8 type neck.

Les Paul Standard 50s that I have is .909 and .992
nut is 1.695 2.104 at the 12th
the profile seem more 59RI ish than early 50s RI (Gibson Custom Shop profile)

I own several CS LPs. Before 2020 I would not have ever considered a Gibson USA guitar. I am very impressed with the new Gibson USA 50s guitars. They feel great and are comfortable to play.

Last edited:
Thank you all its been really helpful as I can't go and test any due to limited stock and none in my area.

I have found two suppliers who have Gold Tops in stock in the UK so currently placing an order!

I will confess, at 45, with a stressful job, being the main earner for the family, 3 kids of which two are twins and one is disabled, my bucket list has changed from retiring at 55 and traveling the world, to owning all the guitars I have ever wanted. Thankfully, a Gold Top and a White Gibson Custom are the only guitars on the list :p

The Axe means I don't need any amps on that list, damn you for that @FractalAudio :p

Totally outside your inquiry, but I’ve found the PRS pattern vintage neck on the 594 to be a great compromise between big enough and comfy to play. Replaced all my LPs but one. Wasn’t the intention, but it worked out that way.

Totally outside your inquiry, but I’ve found the PRS pattern vintage neck on the 594 to be a great compromise between big enough and comfy to play. Replaced all my LPs but one. Wasn’t the intention, but it worked out that way.
I have not played a PRS, I will have to check them out. In lockdown I bought two Gibson Classics, an ESP and a Jackson. Main reason was because I have always played thick necked Gibson guitars and I wanted too see if there was better options.

I found the Gibsons Slim Neck nice to play, but its a little too slim because the strings tend to come off the fretboard. A bit of calming down on my enthusiasm sorted that out. The Jackson is such a different approach and not one, after many months of playing it, that I warmed too.

The ESP Les Paul inspired EC range was beautiful to play. I highly recommend them as a Les Paul alternative. The shape, spacing and the fact it has Jumbo Frets really makes it shine.

I like to own at least one Gibson so selling the Gibson Classic and the Jackson will fund the Gold Top. I'll keep the ESP as its lovely to play and has active pickups.

Dawsons in the UK used to have loads of PRS guitars, I went in to try them but sadly its a shadow of what it used to be.

This is the only time I miss guitar shops, I remember trying 3 Traditional guitars from the same year and the difference was so big it really pays with guitars to try them out.

Time to check out PRS

Back
Top Bottom