Gibson Les Paul Custom - Talk me into or out of buying

I think the "quality control" stuff on the internet is a bunch of BS brought up by people who have never actually owned Les Paul's or just played a poorly set up one in a Guitar Center. I've had 3 over the years and they've all been really good. Believe it or not, I've actually had a PRS McCarty 594, which are my favorite guitars, that had parts of the neck paint that started peeling, and it was a new guitar. So take that stuff with a grain of salt.

As someone who made a living as a guitar repairer for quite a few years at a highly respected vintage guitar store, unfortunately Gibson's QC issues have been very real. At one stage, just after Gibson started to do really nice tops on Les Paul Standards (I dunno, maybe early 2000's?) every Gibson shipped to Sydney Australia that I got my hands on (probably in the hundreds) had visible file marks on the fingerboard - at that stage the RRP was $5395AUD, which was a whole ton of money. Almost every CS Les Paul we got through our shop had been fret levelled but seemingly never crowned and polished - the frets were like the tops off brick walls.

Most of these were really nice guitars, but for that kind of money (a 59 RI went out the door at a measly $14K AUD or so, no discounting here) you I think have the right to expect something close to perfection!

Explorers that electronically did not function straight out of the box, paint drips, fingerboard separation (unfortunately on a new $30K Gibson Citation that we refused to fix - just told the owner to take it back), saw a lot of pretty awful instruments sadly. To the point that I just don't know what current Gibson QC is like because I have no interest in picking up a new Gibson guitar.

I'm by no means a Gibson hater, ironically I own more Gibsons than any other brand of guitar, but if there was ever a brand that demanded you to pick and choose carefully, it's the one we're discussing here.

I think the main decision is how badly you want that Gibson logo on the headstock. Esp, Eastman, Edwards, Maybach and other companies also make killer lp custom styled guitars It seems that many brands are suffering qc problems across the board. Hopefully whatever shop/seller is just honest with the condition of the guitar you’re eyeing.

I think the main decision is how badly you want that Gibson logo on the headstock. Esp, Eastman, Edwards, Maybach and other companies also make killer lp custom styled guitars It seems that many brands are suffering qc problems across the board. Hopefully whatever shop/seller is just honest with the condition of the guitar you’re eyeing.
And this is 100% true - in particular the current Eastmans are absolutely incredible guitars (I'll paraphrase my local high end guitar shop who told me about a customer who bought an Eastman Goldtop as a knock around gig guitar, came back a couple of days later and bought the matching 'burst, then came in the next day, gave them his 59RI and said: "sell this, I don't need it anymore.....").

In general I find there to be nothing overly special about 99% of Gibsons other than that nitrocellulose finishes just feel nicer to me than any kind of poly finish, and I know people who feel exactly the opposite way. You do pick up the odd Gibson which really has something very special going on, but geeze that's a rare occurrence, and sadly they are usually forty to fifty years old! Just my worthless humble opinion of course, others will 100% disagree as they have every right to do so.

And this is 100% true - in particular the current Eastmans are absolutely incredible guitars (I'll paraphrase my local high end guitar shop who told me about a customer who bought an Eastman Goldtop as a knock around gig guitar, came back a couple of days later and bought the matching 'burst, then came in the next day, gave them his 59RI and said: "sell this, I don't need it anymore.....").

In general I find there to be nothing overly special about 99% of Gibsons other than that nitrocellulose finishes just feel nicer to me than any kind of poly finish, and I know people who feel exactly the opposite way. You do pick up the odd Gibson which really has something very special going on, but geeze that's a rare occurrence, and sadly they are usually forty to fifty years old! Just my worthless humble opinion of course, others will 100% disagree as they have every right to do so.
Eastman makes absolutely amazing guitars!

Am a big Gibson fan and own 20+ instruments from 2001 to 2020 yet wouldn´t try to talk you into or out of something. Here´s just what I experienced:

Quality:
Never had any issues with my guitars except that a Flying V Telluride white didn`t have the sweet vanilla odor but smelled like fish (no joke). A bit of lemon oil on the fretboard fixed that problem permanently. I been often told about poor quality Gibsons but never got such an example in my hands while checking guitars. So methinks quality control is at 98%.

Neck:
I personally do not like the "medium C" neck profile of the new Les Paul Customs! The balance of width and thickness is not to my liking. But this is personal preference and you might have a different feel than I have. There are also some differences in the profile in runs from different years (one of my LPCs from 2003 has a real chunky neck and the medium C on the Explorer Custom is very different to the LPC).
What I can state is that I never had issues with stickyness.

Pickups:
Love those 400s pickups. But again that´s personal taste and depends on what you like to do with the guitar.

In general I´d recommend you check as much as you can and compare with other builders. Would also highly recommend you check some used ones. The prices for new Gibsons are extremely high at the moment and if it´s worth to you to pay those should be decided regarding to the concrete guitar you get for it. If you´re not convinced by what you can have - just leave it. There are 1000s of guitars around and you sure will find a one suitable to you! But you should keep in mind that if you should want to sell the guitar again you might get a better price for an original LPC (at least this is what I can see here in Germany).

Good luck and enjoy the checking!

I recently went to buy one. Here's my story. YMMV - My trip to what I call guitar heaven is completed. I know this is only what I sampled, but this is at one of the best, most revered stores (30 years now) in the country that great players visit - so their quality is gonna be above smaller stores imo. My Review/Report - I played no less than 6 '59 Custom Shop Reissues ($6700/ea). I report that even Gibson Custom Shop QC is in need of quite a bit of improvement from my pov. Missing screw on pup selector cover holding the Custom Shop cover on. High E tuner that I could turn a full turn and it did nothing to pitch. Not one really good setup from supposedly Plek'd guitars. Frets not properly dressed. Every ABR-1 put off ugly buzzes and unnatural (to me) high harmonics. Nothing I'd pay new Standard money for ($3K).I played the Heritage H150 Custom Core I had an eye on and it SMOKED the '59s in every category for a professional level instrument save for pickup tone imho. I loved every aspect save for the pickups. Great intonation, great setup (I lowered the 'high side a small amount for my feel) great frets and very good tuning stability. It was gonna live at Camp Shep until -

I played the PRS Tremonti (no trem). I'm gonna use a number I feel is ballpark of how much better it is compared to the H150 Custom Core - 15%. 40% better than the 59's. In every category. Their one piece bridge system gives off no undesireable effects the Gibson ABR-1s did. Even the Heritage displayed a little of it. Their locking tuner system and the tuning stability of it and the pegs is incredible. The setup required a small truss treak to get 'my feel'. Does not buzz. BEST frets from factory.Sound - I went looking for a guitar to do great PAF tone to get my in the Pat Travers ballpark with my Axe Fx iii (I took it and played through my really nice salesmans' Mission Gemini 2). I found the Tremonti pickup to just be very loud, not distorted just unbelievably loud. I lowered it to the point that it came losse from the screw. But it sounded great there! Having had this next step done before, I had their great tech cut the ring down to the same height as the neck ring. He did, put new strings on it, and it was perfect for me. The balance in the middle with neck on 5 and bridge on 10 - right where I like it. This PRS Tremonti 10 Top is a bucket list level guitar for me.

I thought for sure I'd have brought home a '59.

I have a 2008 LPC, sounds amazing but quality is very underwhelming.
It has a gap between fretboard edges and neck as they cut fretboard too narrow, and you can definitely feel it.
Quality aside I would never ever pay the price they ask these days.
Gibson has become a luxury brand and nothing more.

All Gibsons have been this way since day one. They didn't get worse but they just didn't get better. It's something you factor in . Nobody ever bought a Les Paul because it was beautifully made with huge precision because it never was. If you want perfect build quality go elsewhere but then it's not a Les Paul. 100% correct. I've known a store owner who's also a collector. He's said multiple times their qc has gone up and down. Multiple people with a couple decades of experience at a major guitar shop said the same thing when I was recently there.
I know 2 store owners and 3 collectors. All have said to me that Gibson qc comes and goes to varying degrees. I was told "inspect carefully, there are good ones out there". As far as 'it's not a Les Paul' is concerned, after what I experienced in a bunch of $6700 custom shop guitars being blown out of the water by guitars costing $3-$4K less, I see that as not a bad thing.

I don't find the Gibson prices or QC roulette game appealing when Fender has this if you buy into the tonewood thing, or if you don't they have this for even less. Both options will leave plenty of money for a pickup swap and any fretwork/setup work if you can't do it yourself.

Last edited:
I don't find the Gibson prices or QC roulette game appealing when Fender has this if you buy into the tonewood thing, or if you don't they have this for even less. Both options will leave plenty of money for a pickup swap and any fretwork/setup work if you can't do it yourself.
Ok pretty (first one).

But god most certainly did not intend for teles to have humbuckers. Misses the point, or a lot of it.

I know 2 store owners and 3 collectors. All have said to me that Gibson qc comes and goes to varying degrees. I was told "inspect carefully, there are good ones out there". As far as 'it's not a Les Paul' is concerned, after what I experienced in a bunch of $6700 custom shop guitars being blown out of the water by guitars costing $3-$4K less, I see that as not a bad thing.
They may vary a bit but you are missing the point by a whole degree of magnitude . I can easily find a more precisely built instrument for thousands less but it won't sound the same, nothing quite does not even high end single cuts from other builders costing more. Not unless they are copying the production methods. QC isn't going to make them that much better because they still use many old school practices and many stages are simply not in the production method. For example the binding is ALWAYS not perfectly flush because they don't sand the body after it is fitted to make it . The whole step is just missing from production. The binding scraped nibs are done with a single sided razor and that is it . The tint bleeds in to the binding because the lacquer almost guarantees it will. The back and sides of the head are never flatted before buffing because they don't have a step in the production to do it. There is small variation in QC but even the best LP is a Gibson and that is what it is, you buy it because of the heritage and the sound. Epiphones are cleaner builds but they don't sound even close because of poor materials and significant differences is construction methods. Gibson have always used top quality materials and produced a "musical" sounding guitar even the budget models sound good because they are cutting cost with simplicity of design not crappy components and poor wood selection. A cheap guitars should be a very simple one (Les Paul Junior) to cut costs not a look alike POS with a veneer of subterfuge to cover the garbage it is made of (think Sire).

Ok pretty (first one).

But god most certainly did not intend for teles to have humbuckers. Misses the point, or a lot of it.
Seeing rosewood on a Tele was kinda like 'I had a dream last night that my Strat and Tele had a baby'... I can't say I've seen that before. Looking further to a pair of humbuckers, I realized the Dr. told me it was a girl, but girls don't have ba.... lol

They may vary a bit but you are missing the point by a whole degree of magnitude . I can easily find a more precisely built instrument for thousands less but it won't sound the same, nothing quite does not even high end single cuts from other builders costing more. Not unless they are copying the production methods. QC isn't going to make them that much better because they still use many old school practices and many stages are simply not in the production method. For example the binding is ALWAYS not perfectly flush because they don't sand the body after it is fitted to make it . The whole step is just missing from production. The binding scraped nibs are done with a single sided razor and that is it . The tint bleeds in to the binding because the lacquer almost guarantees it will. The back and sides of the head are never flatted before buffing because they don't have a step in the production to do it. There is small variation in QC but even the best LP is a Gibson and that is what it is, you buy it because of the heritage and the sound. Epiphones are cleaner builds but they don't sound even close because of poor materials and significant differences is construction methods. Gibson have always used top quality materials and produced a "musical" sounding guitar even the budget models sound good because they are cutting cost with simplicity of design not crappy components and poor wood selection. A cheap guitars should be a very simple one (Les Paul Junior) to cut costs not a look alike POS with a veneer of subterfuge to cover the garbage it is made of (think Sire).
Point taken. I understand what you're saying. I don't mind those 'old practices' that to me make the guitar a LP visually, even less than perfect. What I do mind is making the ABR-1 saddles narrow instead of wide like they were originally. They do not sound like the original to my ear. They emit unnatural, harsh overtones those wide ones didn't. QC things like missing screws, non functional tuners and setups that could not have been Plek'd on a $7K guitar are inexcusable, decidedly QC level issues imo. And those saddles make the guitars not sound like what they were created from. The Heritage guitars are made at the old Gibson factory by former Gibson top level employees and to my ear are sonically better besides much better physically. Of course, that's one man's opinion. But I speak from hands on experience prior and now.

Back
Top Bottom