Gibson Les Paul Custom - Talk me into or out of buying

deakle

Experienced
So since I was a teenager I’ve wanted a black Gibson Les Paul Custom, the legendary “Black Beauty”. I have the chance to purchase a brand new one and would like thoughts/opinions from those who have owned or currently own one. What’s Gibson’s quality control like currently? I’ve heard some horror stories the last few years but not so much lately. Also, what are thoughts on the current necks? Anyone have any issues with stickiness? I have had issues before with the glossy finishes on Gibson necks that are sticky. What about the 490/498 pickups? Of course I can swap them if I don’t like them but was wondering what everyone’s opinions are on the stock set? Are the 68 Reissue Customs worth the extra $$$$? Let me know your thoughts.

Hey @deakle

Well, you and I sound like we had very similar situations. I have wanted a Les Paul Custom since I was a teenager, over thirty years back. I finally very recently had the opportunity to make it happen and decided to do it....pic attached.

Quality - it seems like a really high quality build, and I have zero complaints about it.

Neck - It's definitely a fatter neck that I'm used to playing, but I knew that going into this. I don't really notice any significant stickiness and find that it has a similar feeling to my other lacquered finished necks.

Pickups - I have the same 490/498s as you had mentioned. This guitar is definitely a one-trick pony as it's pretty much all-out or nothing. Gibson decided to not have a coil tap option on this Custom which I'm fine with. I knew it was a guitar pretty much built for hard rock, and it can pull that off well. My only complaint with the pickups is that they are incredibly hot, to the point where I'll get some feedback and need to dial back the guitar volume to around 8 whereas the same AxeFX patch played on my PRS Custom 24 or PRS McCarty 594 won't feed back. I'm still debating on whether I want to swap out the pickups for something a bit less hot than the 490/498s.

One thing that surprised me a bit is that the action was really high when I got it, especially on the low-E. In fact the action was high enough where the intonation especially on the low-E was sharp when fretted at the 12th, and moving the saddle all the way to the bridge side still wasn't enough. The truss rod was fine and didn't need adjusting, but the bridge height definitely needed adjusting. Once I worked on that a bit, the action was significantly lower and I was then able to properly intonate it without it being maxed to one side or another.

The only other thing I can think of that might be worth mentioning is this guitar is HEAVY, as in 10.5 lbs, so if you're gigging with it you'll definitely want a really nice strap and probably an upgrade to some strap locks. I'm in a Rush tribute band and we do a full three-hours of music spread across two sets, and although we're on a break right now my plan is to use the Les Paul Custom for maybe 25% of the songs. This is partly to do with the weight, but also that this guitar won't effectively pull off much of the mid-80s material as I need something brighter and jangly for that.

Bill

Attachments

• 20230610_091600.jpg
    20230610_091600.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
Hey @deakle

Well, you and I sound like we had very similar situations. I have wanted a Les Paul Custom since I was a teenager, over thirty years back. I finally very recently had the opportunity to make it happen and decided to do it....pic attached.

Quality - it seems like a really high quality build, and I have zero complaints about it.

Neck - It's definitely a fatter neck that I'm used to playing, but I knew that going into this. I don't really notice any significant stickiness and find that it has a similar feeling to my other lacquered finished necks.

Pickups - I have the same 490/498s as you had mentioned. This guitar is definitely a one-trick pony as it's pretty much all-out or nothing. Gibson decided to not have a coil tap option on this Custom which I'm fine with. I knew it was a guitar pretty much built for hard rock, and it can pull that off well. My only complaint with the pickups is that they are incredibly hot, to the point where I'll get some feedback and need to dial back the guitar volume to around 8 whereas the same AxeFX patch played on my PRS Custom 24 or PRS McCarty 594 won't feed back. I'm still debating on whether I want to swap out the pickups for something a bit less hot than the 490/498s.

One thing that surprised me a bit is that the action was really high when I got it, especially on the low-E. In fact the action was high enough where the intonation especially on the low-E was sharp when fretted at the 12th, and moving the saddle all the way to the bridge side still wasn't enough. The truss rod was fine and didn't need adjusting, but the bridge height definitely needed adjusting. Once I worked on that a bit, the action was significantly lower and I was then able to properly intonate it without it being maxed to one side or another.

The only other thing I can think of that might be worth mentioning is this guitar is HEAVY, as in 10.5 lbs, so if you're gigging with it you'll definitely want a really nice strap and probably an upgrade to some strap locks. I'm in a Rush tribute band and we do a full three-hours of music spread across two sets, and although we're on a break right now my plan is to use the Les Paul Custom for maybe 25% of the songs. This is partly to do with the weight, but also that this guitar won't effectively pull off much of the mid-80s material as I need something brighter and jangly for that.

Bill
Thanks @Bill-RTP! You provided very good information and have helped me greatly! Your Rush tribute band sounds like a lot of fun. I play mainly seated at home now so weight is no issue for me. In what area does your Rush tribute band play?

I dont pay sticker price for guitars and got a 68 reissue custom last aug, tag date march or april for a bit of savings.

I say buy one and look for a local used one (for a used price, not 10% off new) if possible.

Mine is awesome and its a lifer. Also wanted since a teen. My R9 is incredible but the lpc gets saved first.

68ri left 79 right. 79 long gone.

IMG_5996.jpeg

In my opinion, the custom is the prettiest Les paul. Unfortunately, they are usually the heaviest models. My 69 with ebony fretboard was so heavy that I sold it in the 90s. Unfortunately, I've never found another one that sounded as good, not even in the Custom Shop. If you're looking for a black one, you might also consider a Studio or Standard. these are often lighter, although not quite as pretty.
The necksize and quality of a guitar you will never know at Gibson, so you have to take it in your hands before you buy.

Thanks @Bill-RTP! You provided very good information and have helped me greatly! Your Rush tribute band sounds like a lot of fun. I play mainly seated at home now so weight is no issue for me. In what area does your Rush tribute band play?
We're based out of Milwaukee WI but we do these mini-tours where we do a few shows in other regions across the US when we can. Here's our YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@TheRushTributeProject/videos

So since I was a teenager I’ve wanted a black Gibson Les Paul Custom, the legendary “Black Beauty”. I have the chance to purchase a brand new one and would like thoughts/opinions from those who have owned or currently own one. What’s Gibson’s quality control like currently? I’ve heard some horror stories the last few years but not so much lately. Also, what are thoughts on the current necks? Anyone have any issues with stickiness? I have had issues before with the glossy finishes on Gibson necks that are sticky. What about the 490/498 pickups? Of course I can swap them if I don’t like them but was wondering what everyone’s opinions are on the stock set? Are the 68 Reissue Customs worth the extra $$$$? Let me know your thoughts.
Also got to play a LPC when I was a kid, and finally got one a few years ago. No issues with the guitar. Not a fan of the 490\498, so I put in a JB set.
On another note, its funny how guys selling 70's LPC's either want $3-4K or $8-9K for what is basically the same guitar. So many duds in early Norlin era guitars. I would stick with newer models.

If you have the chance to finally get something you've wanted for basically ever, I'd say go for it! For me, it was a very specific BC Rich Warlock that took me years to track down. Still can't believe I found it. It's not my favorite, and I don't play it that often, but it was absolutely worth it... ah, the dreams of a 15 year old.

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said. I lusted after a Black Beauty for years, too. My first LP was a black Studio. Like Budda said, don't pay sticker price. In addition to used, there are much better prices on new by doing a little research. If at all possible, find somewhere you can go play it yourself first and you can probably answer most of your questions. If not, find someplace that will allow you to return it if there's a problem.

Best of luck in your quest! I hope you get one and it's ever better than you imagined!

If you want- go for it! I have one on the way!
Danville music? I’ve bought a couple nice PRS guitars from them, good people, good prices. Hope you have a similar experience. For the OP, I am actually a fan of the stock pickups in the LP Customs. They are hot, but in a good way.

In my opinion, the custom is the prettiest Les paul. Unfortunately, they are usually the heaviest models. My 69 with ebony fretboard was so heavy that I sold it in the 90s. Unfortunately, I've never found another one that sounded as good, not even in the Custom Shop. If you're looking for a black one, you might also consider a Studio or Standard. these are often lighter, although not quite as pretty.
The necksize and quality of a guitar you will never know at Gibson, so you have to take it in your hands before you buy.
Reminder that there’s 3 lpc’s:

Les paul custom - cs stamp on neck, serial starts with “cs”
9-hole weight relief (possibly changed 2023?)
Maple cap hog back
490/498 pickups
Short tenon iirc

1968 reissue
Non weight relieved
Maple cap hog back
T-tops
Long tenon

1957 reissue
Non weight relieved
Mahogany cap mahogany body
Custombuckers like R7/8/9
Long tenon

And all the variations therein since 92ish when the cs started. A key one being Customs werent actually built in the custom shop until 2004!

For example older reissues came stock with burstbuckers and 57s if im not mistaken. 90s models will likely have beefier necks across all reissues. My techs 99 R9 is a boatneck, my 2021 R9 is not.

If someone tells you their 90s lpc is custom shop and solid body, fhey are wrong on both counts.

I had a medical scan on my back due to the severe pain hurting me. The Doctor said, "You have a bit of curvature of the spine and a degenerative condition with your back discs... it will only get worse" All I could think of at the time was thank you Norlin, for your boat anchors of the LP Customs that I have owned! Back in the day, people always seemed to think that a HEAVY Les Paul would have more sustain. They never mentioned the damage that they could do to your back! But they do look so cool.

Reminder that there’s 3 lpc’s:

Les paul custom - cs stamp on neck, serial starts with “cs”
9-hole weight relief (possibly changed 2023?)
Maple cap hog back
490/498 pickups
Short tenon iirc

1968 reissue
Non weight relieved
Maple cap hog back
T-tops
Long tenon

1957 reissue
Non weight relieved
Mahogany cap mahogany body
Custombuckers like R7/8/9
Long tenon

And all the variations therein since 92ish when the cs started. A key one being Customs werent actually built in the custom shop until 2004!

For example older reissues came stock with burstbuckers and 57s if im not mistaken. 90s models will likely have beefier necks across all reissues. My techs 99 R9 is a boatneck, my 2021 R9 is not.

If someone tells you their 90s lpc is custom shop and solid body, fhey are wrong on both counts.
My apologies - there is also the R4BB with P90 and staple neck pickup. Probably all mahogany as well? Made in far fewer numbers from what I can tell.

I think the "quality control" stuff on the internet is a bunch of BS brought up by people who have never actually owned Les Paul's or just played a poorly set up one in a Guitar Center. I've had 3 over the years and they've all been really good. Believe it or not, I've actually had a PRS McCarty 594, which are my favorite guitars, that had parts of the neck paint that started peeling, and it was a new guitar. So take that stuff with a grain of salt.

As for the Les Paul Custom, definitely do your research on the differences between them, because there are a TON. I brought a used 2021 57 Reissue Custom Black Beauty from Guitar Center (yes, Guitar Center) about 6 months ago and went through the same thing. Here are some really good videos on the differences between them below. Basically to sum it up, there are regular Les Paul Customs and then Les Paul Custom Reissues. The current non-reissue Customs come with 498T/490R in the bridge and neck. Compared to the reissues, the neck is going to be much slimmer, which is the biggest buying factor IMO. The reissues will be more historically accurate. So they'll have things like a fatter neck, higher pickup rings, and an ABR bridge. Depending on the year, they may have yellowish binding over white binding, pearl or gold tuners, and the frets may either be fretless wonders which are really, really low frets, or regular frets. The reissues are typically heavier too and will either come with Custombuckers (modern ones) or Burstbuckers (those around 2012ish). Then there are also the differences between the 57 Reissues and the 68 Reissues. I think 68s have slimmer necks and pickups with slightly more output. My 57 reissue has a huge neck. Its like .91 at the first fret, but that's mostly why I got it. Regular customs will be around .83 at the first fret.

I love my 57 Reissue, but I sometimes wonder if I should have went with an older Custom Reissue or just a regular Custom since I changed out the Custombuckers (too low output for me) to the 498T/490R which I love, and also replaced the pickup rings with the regular ones. The historical pickup rings are very, very tall and may be awkward to play if you haven't played them before. Just stuff to consider about the reissue models.

Just make sure you try as many of them out as you can before buying them. If you're going with a newer non-reissue Custom, then you'll probably be fine buying sight unseen. But if you buy one pre 2017ish, then you're kind of gambling on the features of the guitar like neck, electronics, Norlin era, etc. I tried out 3 in person and they were all different from one another. But if you're buying without being able to try it, do as much background as you can on that particular model year and its characteristics.

Here's mine.

1703957609209.png

With a sample size of 1 each, my 68ri and my friends 2020? 57ri custom had very similar feeling necks, barely a perceptible difference. Based on our reading, we werent expecting that. I would wager pre 2019 R7BB’s would have more shoulder on average.

Most gibson CS dealers list weights and neck specs so if you know what you like, that helps a ton. I bought my 68ri blind and asked the store if the neck was comparable to a current R9. My 68ri is beefier but comfortable.

The fact is Gibson has had quality control issues for years.
I had the cash in my pocket and went to my local Gibson dealer.
I was there to purchase a new SG. I took the one off the wall down to play and inspect it.
It had finish flaws. My sales guy brought out 3 more brand new SG's from the back.
All 4 showed signs of poor quality workmanship.
That's no internet BS but my real world experience.

I bought my first Les Paul because I wanted the Allman Brothers sound, and I went for the black Custom because it's the tuxedo look.

I had it for several years, then traded it for a new one plus some cash, which then developed an ever increasing neck problem that wasn't helped by totally maxing out the truss rod adjustment, and that Gibson and the dealer refused to fix or replace. I ended having to pay for it all, then quickly used it to buy a new Cherryburst custom that I kept for years until I couldn't stand the weight and pressure on my shoulder and neck. They're fricken' heavy.

They're pretty guitars but I switched brands when I went to replace it. Not knowing if the quality was there was a major part of not going back.

Back
Top Bottom