Getting that classic Peavey 5150 low-mid growl and smoothness

I'm using an ULTRA with a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom Ebony (tuned to B Standard) with a Peavey 50/50 Poweramp and a Koch 2x12 cab.
The model I use the most is the 5150 model, I've always loved that tone, however, I haven't really been able to be completely convinced by the Axe's portrayal of some high gain models. To me, through my PA/cab setup, the character of the gain is always almost completely the same. I've theorized that this is mostly due to the fact that I'm not using the cab models and the mic models. However ... a 5150 will always sound like a 5150, no matter through which cab - it's aways recognizable.

So, what I'm looking for is that classic Peavey 5150 metal tone. We all know it too well, the low-mid growling, the smoothness, tightness, good attack, mean and snarling tone:

This is a pretty good example of how it should sound, minus the camera's phasing issues. The character is that classic 5150 tone.

So, I'd love to hear some experiences and tips from people that have been able to get that classic 5150 tone, but especially with a cab and poweramp setup. Getting it DI is a lot different, easier, actually.

Cheers!
_
Michel.

The 5150 model on the II sounds just like that. Matter of fact when the playing started I thought it was an axe! :eek:

Never really used the 5150 model much on the ultra, I can fool around with it and see what it will come out like, but if you're looking for exactly that sound, the II has it down perfectly

OK i fooled around with both in the ultra and the II, the II is much closer to the original. The ultra, however, is very chunky and full. The II has the high end that the real 5150 has tho. Might be able to get somewhere similar by driving it with a drive block, with probably a treble boost TS?

Well, I can get that classic 5150 fizzle/sizzle and I drive it with a TS model, but I'm just missing that tone ... I don't know why exactly. Might be my power amp and cab, or maybe just my settings.

Fair enough! I did not know about this thread :)

So here's a shot at what I hear from the video. Excuse my playing I am not really familiar with this kind of music, but it is nice that the chords
keep their integrety with this much gain! Usually that's not the case.

The patch is FRFR since that's how I my setup is, I used the G-12H cab, I don't know how it compares to your Koch.

To me it sounds a bit brighter than the video because his camera mic is compressing quite hard when he is playing. I did insert a PEQ at the end
of the chain but I ended up not using it...

Let me know what you think and maybe give it a go yourself?

Jens

Attachments

• 5150 26-04-12 .syx
    2 KB · Views: 27
Well, yeah, it's got the high end, which isn't my problem (the Koch has way too much high end, so I end up blocking everything above 7 to 8k. Above that, it just introduces a nasty fizz), but your clip doesn't have that low end snarl to it, and that's what I've been missing.

I do agree with the other guys, regarding the FRFR way. This way I can just try out the cab models and I'm sure that'll give me more options than just my Koch cab. The only huge downfall is that I use a 4x12 Kustom cab in our rehearsal space and getting a FRFR cab means that I would even have to lug that around to rehearsal. I already bring a shiteload of gear along since I also play keys/samples.

I am cutting lows in my patch, so that is fixable I'd guess. I am using the lo cut in the amp so upping the bass should not be to boomy I think.

Another thing that can often yield interesting effects is to boost frequencies before the amp (in a way that is what the TS pedal is doing).

Come to think of it you might want to try and change the locut in the drive pedal, it is default at 398 which is quite high.

Or a Peq or a filter to boost the frequencies. I have no idea which frequencies are the low end snarl?

what do you think?

Jens

I trust you can add that with a peq or filter block before the amp yourself?

What kind of speakers is in your cab?

Jens

Very true, but I actually have no idea what you want it to sound like and the YouTube Video is 50% interpretation because of the video camera and youtube compression.

I think you have a very decent shot at it if you make sure to place it before the amp, then the amp wil react to it too.

Another option would be to use an MB compressor to bring that frequency area out? Before or after the amp.

Since I am recording direct you can hear that you will not solve the problem by going FRFR.

Jens

Indeed! :D

But if you can hear it in my clip then just hook up your axe to whatever your are using to listen on soundcloud and try all the cabs in the box.

Did you try the PEQ before the amp and messing with the lo cut of the drive in the first place?

What's in his cab?

If you get it right there then you know. Might save you a few hundred bucks on an FRFR speaker.

Jens

Edit: Don't forget that a cab ir is for the biggest part also just a very detailed EQ, it is not going to affect the gain-structure
(I am not really clear on what that is in this context anyway btw..)

Yup, tried pre-gain cutting, with EQ and with a TS. And yeah, I could do that, but it would still be a direct monitored portrayal of YOUR guitar, tuning, string gauge and such. Besides, every cab will call for different EQ settings.

What's in his cab? I don't know. I'm a speaker-noob, pretty much. However, I've seen and heard a lot of guys that use a 5150 and it always sounds like a 5150.

I meant you could play the patch through your axefx and change the cab not my recording that already has a cab in it sending it through another one is probably not nice ;)

Jens

Ah, of course! ;) Well, in that case, I could just go ahead and try that myself.
The thing is, like I said before, it would be a portrayal of the amp + cab through my Phonic P6A Studio Monitors, it would still be a mis portrayal, sadly.
I think the only way is to get a FRFR cab and just experiment myself. If I end up not liking it, I think that, among Axe-FX users, it will always hold value.

Back
Top Bottom