Getting started- Axe FX Ultra

vadsy

I've been playing guitars through pedalboards and tube amps for many years now but I think would like to try out a Axe FX rig. I'm here for some advice on getting started on the budget conscious side. I'm seeing the Ultra as a fairly affordable unit these days. I play clean with delay and reverb most days but also would like light to medium gain to be available to me.

Where would you guys suggest I begin? Is the Ultra a good way to go?
I would like to have a monitoring speaker of some type, recommendations on a budget?
I would like to have a controller of some type, recommendations?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Where would you guys suggest I begin? If the factory presets are still there then that would give you some ideas about the amp and cab combinations that you would like. You should also consider making your own presets from scratch. Is there a real amp and cab that can get the sound(s) you want? If so, try the same amp/cab combination in the Ultra.
Is the Ultra a good way to go? The Ultra is still a good piece of gear and I wouldn't hesitate to use mine in any situation if I needed to. But, if the price of a used Ultra is anywhere near the price of an AX8 then I would save a bit more money and get the AX8. It's got the latest amps, cabs, most of the fx, and a nice pedal board all in one package. It's also going to receive firmware upgrades for the foreseeable future.
I would like to have a monitoring speaker of some type, recommendations on a budget? I use an acoustic guitar amp or a keyboard amp. They've always worked well for me, but in both cases I looked for amps that were at least close to frfr.
I would like to have a controller of some type, recommendations? I bought a Ground Control Pro for my Ultra and still use it with my Axe II. It works fine but it's not as versatile as the Fractal MFC or the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom