Getting rid of Pedals

JeremiahEdward

Inspired
Hello,

I have absolutely no experience with Fractal effects so I don't know what to expect out of this FX-8 pedalboard.

I have an Eventide Space pedal that I love, but do you think this FX-8 will allow me to get rid of the Eventide? I would love an "all in one" board... a completely self-contained unit. Do the Fractal reverbs compare to Eventide? Can Fractal do Lush/Ambient/Weird/Swirling reverb?

I will probably have to sell a couple pedal to get this FX-8... Not sure which ones to put on the chopping block.

Thanks for your input!

Jeremiah

The new Fractal reverbs are built on the Lexicon principle, which is far superior than anything I've heard out of an Eventide, and I've owned both.

The new Fractal reverbs are built on the Lexicon principle, which is far superior than anything I've heard out of an Eventide, and I've owned both.

Agreed. I am still fighting the good fight with my Space to get good standard classic verb tones. Now that Cliff has pushed the envelope on the new verb algorithms, I don't expect to ever win this fight...

Last edited:
Excellent, thank you. I'm wondering if I can recreate a few of the space verbs... specifically their ModEchoVerb... "21: Echospace of God" preset. Its lush and massive and wonderful. This new pedal-board is very exciting.

Excellent, thank you. I'm wondering if I can recreate a few of the space verbs... specifically their ModEchoVerb... "21: Echospace of God" preset. Its lush and massive and wonderful. This new pedal-board is very exciting.

I think that if you posted a clip of that sound, Simeon/yek would probably be able to help.

Agreed, Strymon in particular may feel some heat IMO.

already sold mine: timeline, mobius, eventide H9.
excellent pedals, but they can't win when it comes to fractal quality, features and ease of use.
i just wish fx8 had the same axe-fx block grid.....

What tipped the scales for me in the FX8's favor is knowing that I can have comparable or better sounding effects than my best pedals, consolidated into one compact unit, with the ability to change the sequence of effects in the chain on the fly as well as firmware updates that create a non-static system that evolves over time.

Last edited:
What tipped the scales for me in the FX8's favor is knowing that I can have comparable or better sounding effects than my best pedals, consolidated into one compact unit, with the ability to change the sequence of effects in the chain on the fly as well as firmware updates that create an non-static system that evolves over time.

Exactly. It's been a long time since I've been this excited over a piece of gear. This will be my first piece of Fractal gear so I don't really know what to expect, but the hype is out of this world for all other fractal equipment. So I can imagine it will be great.

Right now I have a Line 6 Pod HD500X that I use for midi and delay/light verb and a few modulation effects. It works great, but I'm hoping it will be worth selling and picking up the fractal. (I don't use amp modeling or anything like that) From what I've been reading, it will be. Plus, a 4 minute Looper with reverse and half speed sounds delightful!

Exactly. It's been a long time since I've been this excited over a piece of gear. This will be my first piece of Fractal gear so I don't really know what to expect, but the hype is out of this world for all other fractal equipment. So I can imagine it will be great.

Right now I have a Line 6 Pod HD500X that I use for midi and delay/light verb and a few modulation effects. It works great, but I'm hoping it will be worth selling and picking up the fractal. (I don't use amp modeling or anything like that) From what I've been reading, it will be. Plus, a 4 minute Looper with reverse and half speed sounds delightful!

Expect to be blown away, especially coming from an HD500x...There will be no turning back, trust me!

already sold mine: timeline, mobius, eventide H9.
excellent pedals, but they can't win when it comes to fractal quality, features and ease of use.

I did exactly the opposite! :)
I just bought an Eventide H9 (it has some of the reverbs of the Space). I have to say I am impressed by the reverbs and ease of use of the H9. Axe fx reverbs sound better than before but the Eventide reverbs have a special sound of their own. They are more on the ambient/lush side than the Axe reverbs. To the OP I would say; don't sell your Eventide Space pedal yet until you have compared it to the Axe/FX8 reverbs yourself. That Space is a great pedal. Use your owns ears and don't be influenced by what other people say.

Last edited:
I did exactly the opposite! :)
I just bought an Eventide H9 (it has some of the reverbs of the Space). I have to say I am impressed by the reverbs and ease of use of the H9. Axe fx reverbs sound better than before but the Eventide reverbs have a special sound of their own. They are more on the ambient/lush side than the Axe reverbs. To the OP I would say; don't sell your Eventide Space pedal yet until you have compared it to the Axe/FX8 reverbs yourself. That Space is a great pedal. Use your owns ears and don't be influenced by what other people say.

Thank you,that's what I needed to know. I play in a Post Rock band and the Space has some incredibly lush/cavernous/swirling reverbs which are perfectly suited to that style of music. It's very effects driven (delicate with a WASH of beautiful verb). I will sell some other pedals in the meantime to fund the FX-8. It is my hope that I can get rid of everything and just have the FX-8 as my whole board though. That's the dream anyway.

Thank you,that's what I needed to know. I play in a Post Rock band and the Space has some incredibly lush/cavernous/swirling reverbs which are perfectly suited to that style of music.

You're welcome. Btw what Space algorithms are your favorites? In the H9 the Hall and Shimmer are included. I have listened shortly to the other algorithms and I really liked the Modverb and the Reverse verb. The Mangled verb had some interesting distorted reverbs too. I am planning on buying one or two more algorithms but it will cost me too much to buy them all. Probably will buy the ones that are very hard (or maybe impossible) to create in the Axe fx.

You're welcome. Btw what Space algorithms are your favorites? In the H9 the Hall and Shimmer are included. I have listened shortly to the other algorithms and I really liked the Modverb and the Reverse verb. The Mangled verb had some interesting distorted reverbs too. I am planning on buying one or two more algorithms but it will cost me too much to buy them all. Probably will buy the ones that are very hard (or maybe impossible) to create in the Axe fx.

Hello,

So far, I use all of them equally (except plate- still trying to find a use for that), but my absolute favorite is the ModEchoVerb... Specfically preset #21: Echospace of God. If there is only one preset that I can replicate on the FX-8, I would want it to be that one. I use preset 13 Earth Hall quite a bit too, but usually only with the Hotswitch ON. I feel as thought he "Blackhole" algorithm will be fairly easy to replicate in the FX-8, but Magledverb and ModEchoVerb will be tough.

Someone suggested getting a sound clip posted and members on here can figured out how to replicate it, but I don't really have a way to get a good recording onto the computer. So far, out of all of the pedals I have bought and sold, the Space has remained on my board. It really does have some nice verbs, but I hope the FX-8 can replace it. I would love to downsize to a much smaller set up.

Initially I was lukewarm on the FX8. It just seemed too expensive. But now I'm looking around for things to sell! lol. The gas never ends.

one thing you may miss is the plug and play nature of the presets on those types of boxes. if the FX8 is like the Axe, in order to get some of the same tones you'll have to chain 2-4 blocks together and understand how to make them do what you want to get the same thing going on. I love that Eventide/Strymon have ready made "templates" that you can just tweak the important/pertinent parameters on and be ready to go. I actually miss my Strymon stuff and regularly consider adding them back to the rig. Not because they sound better, I believe the Axe to be as good or better in every instance....but just for ease of use.

Chaining 2-4 blocks together and understanding how to make them do what one wants in order to get the same thing does not sound so bad as I see it.. I am hoping to get away with a board that consists of a FAS Expression Pedal, Boss GP-10 w built in Volume/expression pedal for alternate tuning/guitar/amp/speaker modeling and an FX8. Hope it works, my two seat car will be happy if it does.

Africa 2 on Vimeo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom