Getting my noodle around Pitch and modifier dampening

LAYGO

Experienced
Ok, I was looking to make quick slam dunk pitch down an octave and I tried it with with Whammy/Detune ect. Worst part about it now is my FCB is at the practice space, so testing it is a lil harder.

BUT

I was reading someone saying they use dampening to fade in effects with.

It got me thinking, instead of using the expression pedal, is there a way to hit an IA to drop down while the pedal is depressed (momentary instead of latching) & then come back to normal pitch upon release? And not be drastic, almost like a dive with the whammy bar for those sans whammy?

I can see a ton of other uses for this too as momentary for my needs!

You could do that, assuming the FCB allows momentary IA switch operation. If you meant using a momentary switch to Axe-FX pedal jack, be aware that you'd lose normal on/off switching ability for the single-step whammy because you'd have to choose latching as type.

I guess I'm looking for clarification of the dampening. When I added it to a modifier, it slowed it's movement down, but also made the whole path it traveled shorter.

Factory preset 257 employs a Volume block with an envelope modifier to obtain an auto swell effect (like the Boss Slow Gear pedal).
You add this effect plus a Pitch block with fixed harmony (-12 octave) to have the low octave blend in gradually. Program an IA-switch on your MIDI controller to send the CC's for those effects.
Disadvantage of this approach is that the swell effect occurs each time you briefly stop playing.

Right, it sets the time it takes to reach the new value. It won't change where the dot ends up, just slows it.

Bakerman said:
You could do that, assuming the FCB allows momentary IA switch operation.

The FCB w/ UnO firmware can do this. Together with the damping parameter on the modifier page it should accomplish what the OP wants.

I have it working in a latching mode. I forgot to change it to momentary for that patch. Although, I'm thinking it might not be possible considering I am using it on an IA in stompbox mode. It would change it's behavior in all my patches. Damn it. Unless there is a setting in Axe that would allow that behavior?

If you can't select switch style per preset on the FCB you basically have to make some kind of compromise. Set as momentary and deal with one less latching switch, leave latching and just hit the switch twice to dive & return, or set the modifier start and end values to be normal pitch and mid to something else. The last method might give something close to what you're hoping for, but it would be a predetermined speed/interval each time you press the switch instead of varying with how long you held a momentary switch.

Back
Top Bottom