getting my HB to sound like a single coil, pretty good results.

fromthebark

Experienced
I play on a worship team every sunday, and since we're basically a cover band, getting tones close to the original is a fun project for me now that I have the axe fx. This weekend we're doing this Hillsong track "Look to the Son".. and if anyone knows hillsong, all their guitar leads are straight up The Edge rip offs.. I got tired of my G&L ASAT always being so noisy (originally had a Bare Knuckle Piledriver in there.. i'd imagine their Irish tour would be the apt pickup for this patch), so I threw a lil' 59 in there, and the neck has a full sized HB (BKP The Mule)
But the lead guitar in this song has that glassy sparkly clean tone of a single coil tele through a really clean VOX.. I tried a whole bevy of amps, and couldn't get rid of the fullness of the HB without going to radioshack, buying a toggle switch, and installing a coil tap (which I do plan on doing one of these days). I looked at the a frequency plugin while playing my guitar, and noticed the bump from like 500-2000k.. so I threw a Graphic EQ between the amp and the cab, pulled down 500, 1k to like -3, and 2k to about -2 , and bumped up the 4k a touch.. and voila! probably the closest I'm gonna get to a nice glassy clean single coil. Oh also, I settled on Botique 1 amp, and am using the Justin York AC30 2x12 L SM57A1 IR.

(Now I am remembering my PRS Vela has a coil tap in it. *smacks self in head*.. After all that, I'm sticking with the tele this weekend)

just for shits n giggles I threw the .syx up. I have a mark II so y'all should be good. I reckon any vox cab should do the trick, maybe the morgan 1x12, if you don't have the justin york collection.

Attachments

• [ASAT] tophat LOOK 2 THE SON.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 23
How do you like the sound of the York IRs compared to Cab Pack 21 (Wellspring)? Factory cab 182 (a mix of the CP21 AC30 IRs) is currently my favorite IR for Vox tones.

Back
Top Bottom