Getting my cabinet "moving"

Yes. I've been contemplating "global" IR curves that you can select as a solution to this problem.

Another possible solution is to reduce the LF Q (and maybe frequency too) so that the resonance is more broad.

That's a fantastic idea. I'd absolutely use a global impedance curve.

When I'm recording, I tend to setup a cab block with a handful of IR's I like first, then stick with them. And when I'm playing live, like most people, I tend to pick a cab or two and stick with those. Being able to audition amp models with a unified impedance curve to match the IR's and/or physical cabs would be awesome.

Hi, stupid question to understand this correctly.

If I had a real Cab, i.e. a 5150 III and I set the Speaker Impedance Curve in the Amp Block to 5153, do I still need to adjust the low frequency when using the Matrix power amp?

Hi there! I have a question/concern
Sometimes the AX3 with a SS Power amp sounds a bit "back" like it played through monitor speakers.
I sat onto the cabinet itself and connected a simple fender modelibg tube amp in the high gain mode. MAN THAT THING SIMPLY ROCKED THE ENTIRE CANINET.
I could actually feel the attack and speaker react to that low end response so well no matter how fast I pick.

So, I tried to connect my AX3 and see if the cabinet, in that volume realm - will react the same. And it always like it Tamed.
Why is that?
Did you get it to work?

Yes. I've been contemplating "global" IR curves that you can select as a solution to this problem.
I'd love to see this as it became a bit of a chore to change it for every amp model or build specific presets for using with real cabs.

It's already been suggested but I would also love to see presets for the global EQ because it can be used as room correction or headphones correction but being limited to two EQs means you might need to make some compromises. So far I've been using it so that the graphic EQ is used for headphones and parametric EQ for my studio monitors. Which of course leaves me out to dry if I want to use a poweramp and cab which could use their own corrections.

Being able to combine all this into a preset that contains global EQ settings, impedance curve and poweramp modeling on/off would be awesome. Switch output system, switch preset.

I went with a PS100 because I thought the internal trim pots of the LXII were wonky. What are your thoughts on that?
Those internal trim pots are just for setting the frequency of the presence and depth controls on the front panel. Most will never change them but you can if you want.

I don’t engage presence or depth (push buttons on front panel), I use the amp completely neutral. Presence and depth are offered ONLY if you want the power amp to react more like a two/fifty/two, so cool option but I don’t need it when using the AxeFX.

Output specific? Yes please! 👍
Well that’s the thing that perplexes me too.
if I set the curve to match a cab that I’m using on any given gig, then that will inevitably affect the FR signal I’m sending to FOH. i actually like the FOH receiving the sound of my 4x12 regardless of the type of cab I’m using on stage. To this end, you’re correct, it would be more useful to have the specific curve selctable per output. So output 2 gets curve A (power amp+cab) and output 1 gets curve B (FOH + monitors).

One thing that confuses me is step 3.
Why does it say to 'enable the Cab' (I read that is - turn the cab block back on)...but this is supposed to be getting low end through a guitar cabinet (so why would we have a Cab block in the chain)?

How do I get that low end thump from my traditional guitar cabinet?​

A modeler doesn't interact with a solid state amp and a traditional guitar cabinet in the same way that a tube power amp does. To get the traditional speaker cab to resonate, you have to select the correct low frequency (which the modeler can't automatically detect). There are three ways:

1. Use a dedicated hardware meter (like from Daytona Audio) to measure the speaker
  2. Send a Sine wave (using the Synth block) to the speaker and change the frequency until you hear and feel the speaker resonate. Set Low Resonant Frequency in the Amp block to that frequency.
  3. Disable the Cab block in the preset. Add a Filter after the Amp block, set to Peaking, Q at 5 and Gain at 10 dB. Start at 50 Hz, play some chugga-chugga (or use the Looper) and slowly adjust the frequency until you hear and feel the cabinet resonate. Remove the filter block, enable the Cab, and set the Amp block's Low Resonant Frequency to match.

Yeah, that’s an error. Engaging the Cab applies only when using a grid with multiple outputs (FOH + power amp+Cab).

there's a time element involved too, with the speaker compression parameter high enough and master volume compressing, the speaker time constant parameter can tune how fast or slow the low end resonance flexes and returns. Once you have speaker LF resonance centered in a good sounding spot you can tune speaker time while chugging until it lines up right with master volume compression, so they both flex and return at the same rate. With Recto 2 master at ~1.3 and LF resonance at ~85Hz for me it was like ~700ms of speaker time constant where everything started dancing together. bring bias excursion time up to ~6ms too and see if it doesn't purr like crazy

Thank you so much for explaining your method here. I've been messing with the Speaker page extensively since I read this,, in a way I had never before, and it has made a truly unbelievable difference.

As a noob I wish I had known about the impedance curve before I gave up on the solid state guitar amps I tried out. Man there is so many choices in the Fractal and it is so flexible that is can be overwhelming even to a tech junkie like me.....at least at first. The good news is the more I use it the more I learn. I feel like after a year I might just be able to somewhat understand all the power under the hood.

I just thought of something? Has fractal software thought about making a VST impedance curve plugin for guitar plugins (and maybe why not an IR loader)? That might be super cool or a stunningly stupid suggestion. :)

Back
Top Bottom