getting closer to purchasing an FM9

jzucker

Experienced
I put it in my cart last night. Was hoping not to be hit with sales tax, lol...

Still debating. Part of me thinks I should spend a few bucks more and get an Axe III but I know I'd never use it live whereas the FM9 seems like a great tool for studio and live use.

Was listening to some reverb demos from the most recent firmware updates and it just sounds glorious. The FM3 is amazing but the new reverbs just kill.

I feel the FM 9 is the perfect tool for live siduations! Though you can use it to record with I see the Axe FX III as more of a studio tool first then a live tool as you need to have the FC to use it in that setting. Unless you really need to power to run complex presets the FM 9 is the deal!

I feel the FM 9 is the perfect tool for live siduations! Though you can use it to record with I see the Axe FX III as more of a studio tool first then a live tool as you need to have the FC to use it in that setting. Unless you really need to power to run complex presets the FM 9 is the deal!

the weight and form factor cause me to shy away from axeiii. I assume it's noiser too with the hotter processors and need for a fan?

Last edited:
It really is. I use my FM9 most because it sits in this beautiful spot of having enough power to satisfy my need for effects and being portable enough that I'm in and out at any gig with one bag to hold it and all my accessories.
Yeah, the goldilocks thing mentioned previously by Matt is holding true here. A few days in I'm finding it a joy to sit down in front of, dial up a great sound, and play, without worrying about squeezing things in and planning buttons. The FM3 remains for minimalist needs, and the FM9 is hitting the spot.

Haven't noticed fans at all. It doesn't have to work as hard?

Yeah, the goldilocks thing mentioned previously by Matt is holding true here. A few days in I'm finding it a joy to sit down in front of, dial up a great sound, and play, without worrying about squeezing things in and planning buttons. The FM3 remains for minimalist needs, and the FM9 is hitting the spot.

Haven't noticed fans at all. It doesn't have to work as hard?
i was referring to the axe iii with the fans comment...

I'd like an axe iii, but really can't justify it. Plus I'd want to commission a pedal board that has a folding rack unit incorporated and get an FC6, so I couldn't afford it.
That being said - I just picked up a used FM9, and listed my FM3 - the FM9 is glorious. I made the 3 switches (and an Morningstar MC3) work, but I'm really enjoying the 9 switches - and of course the newest firmware. Wish I could say more, but I've only had it a few days and haven't had time to really go through all the new stuff...

i was referring to the axe iii with the fans comment...
Gotcha. I think the comment applies there too. Some of my patches are going to push things, but I almost never notice the fan. I've noticed the fan the most on my FM3 initial version, and fwiw, I'm super sensitive to ambient sounds.

Former FM3 user here (I still own it, but it is now my at home practice and backup rig). I bought an FM9 a few months ago and it is the perfect solution for me. It addresses all the limitations I was struggling with. No regrets.

Best piece of gear I’ve ever purchased by a mile. Made so much of my other gear obsolete, it’s ridiculous. That includes kemper, helix, and all my amps and pedals. I don’t even need saturation / channel strip plugins for guitar any more because I can print it when tracking using the mic pre section of the cab block. When tracking dry for reamping I use FM9’s input 1 instead of my interface’s high-z input because it’s so much quieter. It doesn't even take up any of the analog I/O on my interface because I have it connected with SPDIF for zero latency and zero conversions when recording, reamping, and practicing.

Last edited:
Just do it.. I have the AFXIII/FC-12 II and now the new FM9. I love them both to death, the FM9 is the center piece of my coffee table at the moment with two Adam A7s sitting on isolation foam atop my Polk tower speakers, tonal bliss. I feed backing tracks/songs from my Macbook Pro > FM9 > A7s to practice/jam. So much fun. If I could only have one I'd get the FM9.

Just do it.. I have the AFXIII/FC-12 II and now the new FM9. I love them both to death, the FM9 is the center piece of my coffee table at the moment with two Adam A7s sitting on isolation foam atop my Polk tower speakers, tonal bliss. I feed backing tracks/songs from my Macbook Pro > FM9 > A7s to practice/jam. So much fun. If I could only have one I'd get the FM9.
He did. :)

Back
Top Bottom