Get the Atomic CLR or keep existing rig?

I believe that the original CLR announcemenet video had Jay Mitchell using a Crown Macrotech to power the CLR Passive Cab.
I also believe he said the Passive and Active would sound the same?
I would recommend going and watching that video.....(because I could be completely wrong).

IIRC the differences are the powered version has built-in protection from overload for the drivers and the powered version has the DSP settings for tilt, backline and free field.

I don't see how two different amps make a cab sound identically... unless they are the same amp LOL

@ Tremonti: I believe the fact that you already own a Matrix is a good point against an active CLR, unless you're wiling to sell it.
OTOH, the DSP in the active version is very powerful, and the power amp is optimized for the loudspeakers.

Summing up, if I had to buy one from scratch I'd suggest myself the active version. Owning a Matrix I'd make some more thoughts before purchasing :)

Hello,
well just want to jump in...
so i switch now to the Active Atom CLR...
Had a test this weekend with my own db flexsys fm12, MatrixQ12A and the Atomic CLR...
After that test i directly ordered the Atomic CLR!
because they sounded so well in our Practice Room and also if you playback Music with all Loudspeakers you get the Idea witch is the best...
I really like the Sound from the CLR and my favorite Music sounded so well ... no need for my Subwoofer anymore...
So what i did is sell my Studio Monitors (Adam A7X)... sold my db FM12 to our singer and with that Money i made i bought the Atomic :)

My transition was from Marshall EL 34 100/100, Digitech GSP2101 and 2 x Mesa Boogie 2x12(EV&Celest) to AxeFX with Mashall & Mesa... than AxeFX and db Flexsys(because of Cost) and now as i had the chance to try out the Matrix too i'm very very Happy with the CLR!
My Music Style goes from Acoustic Rock to Heavy Metal & all in-between ...

hope this helps!

Congrats man! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Oh, and I hope you ordered the Neo's because the standard wedges are HEAVY! :)

Like I said in my earlier post, it took me a while to get used to them, after being a standard speaker cab kinda guy for many years. Give them some time to sink in. Start out with clean amp settings to start the love connection.

Good luck!!

Congrats man! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Oh, and I hope you ordered the Neo's because the standard wedges are HEAVY! :) Like I said in my earlier post, it took me a while to get used to them, after being a standard speaker cab kinda guy for many years. Give them some time to sink in. Start out with clean amp settings to start the love connection. Good luck!!

Ha. Nothing is heavier than my Genz Benz 2x12 with 400 watt eminence speakers!

Personal choice, of course - we all have a different experience in our head that we want our gear to recreate. For me, I went Active Atomic Neo CLR a few months back and the Matrix and a whole bunch of other stuff went away. Best sonic decision I've made since getting my firsts Axe-FX, an Ultra, many years ago. And I like the Tilt position. Actually, I wish they had a setting that split the difference between Tilt and Backline, but this is a minor quibble.

same here (the split the difference between tilt and backline) I like running mine in backline position but I find the backline 'setting" loses alot of "oomph" leaving it "tilt" cures that but is a bit bassy.

Last edited:
same here (the split the difference between tilt and backline) I like running mine in backline ositionb tut I find the backline 'setting" loses al ot of "oomph" leaving it "tilt" cures that but is a bit bassy.

I firmly believe that if you don't like what you hear, you should not switch the CLR's presets. For example: if the setting is correct, and the sound is too bassy, I'd adjust things in the Axe-Fx, such as the global EQ.

Jay Mitchell explained the settings a couple of months ago on TGP. Here's the quote (source):

----

Here is a minimalist tutorial on loudspeaker placement and aiming. It is not specific to any model or type of speaker. Guitar cabs are affected by the same acoustic phenomena that affect full range speakers, and to the same degree.

When you wish to use a speaker to provide sound to an audience - as opposed to strictly as a personal monitor - you should elevate the speaker above ear level, place it well away from walls, and aim it towards the approximate (left-right) center of the audience area. There are several reasons for this, some of which are intuitively evident even to nontechnical people:

1. There is a line-of-sight, straight path from the speaker to the ears of every audience member.

2. The listeners that are farthest from the speaker are closest to on axis and nearer listeners are more off axis. This helps reduce volume differences from front to rear seats.

3. Because the speaker is placed and aimed away from nearby room boundaries (floor and walls), the magnitudes of early reflections are minimized. Early reflections always cause undesirable colorations which cannot be equalized out.

The same principles apply whether you are rehearsing or performing in front of an audience. There are some subtleties of placement and aiming that depend on the specific behaviors of the speaker(s) and room, but the above general practice is always best. If you are not the only listener whom you wish to cover with your rig, it is always best to elevate it and aim it appropriately.

If you are using a speaker as a floor monitor, it is almost always serving an audience of one. In some cases there may be a second or third listener, but, even then, the listeners will be predictably located close to the on-axis position. This is the intended purpose of a floor wedge.

If you place your speaker on the floor and aim it parallel to the floor, the sound quality it produces will be irreparably and seriously compromised, but the exact nature of the compromise will vary from listener to listener. This is just as true of guitar cabs as it is of full range speakers. The (very) early floor reflection resulting from this placement/aiming will cause huge notches and peaks in the frequency response (aka "comb filtering"), and this degraded response will affect every member of the audience, as well as the player him(her)self. Because the specific frequencies at which notches and peaks occur vary with the position of the listener, they can never be equalized. Attempts to make things better at one location will inevitably make them worse at other positions.

Note that, in sharing the above, I have made no mention of anything specific to a brand or model of loudspeaker. This is because the above are all based on well-understood, immutable principles of acoustics and apply to all loudspeakers of any type. If you habitually set your cab on the floor aimed horizontally, you should be aware that what you hear from it will always be profoundly different than what anyone else hears. The same applies to setting a wedge on the floor aimed upward, although in that case it really only matters what you hear.

Now, with all the above in mind, I will explain again the basis for the presets in the CLR.

1. "FF" is for free field use. This means any placement/aiming in which the speaker is neither in close proximity nor aimed parallel to a room boundary.

2. "Tilt" is optimized for use as a floor wedge. This preset makes the response flat for a small group of listeners who are close to the on-axis position. Hopefully the motivation for this optimization approach requires no further explanation. The response will not be as flat for listeners who are well-removed from the axis of the speaker. IOW, if you place a wedge on the floor behind you aimed upward and stand well away from the speaker, you will not be hearing the designed response of the speaker.

3. Like "Tilt," "BL" is optimized for just one listener. In this case, however, the choice is forced: there is no way to optimize the response for mutiple listeners, and that optimization is an imperfect one even for a single listener, for all the reasons stated above. If you place a CLR on the floor, select this preset, and stand approximately six feet away from the speaker, the overall response will be balanced. There is no way to optimize any speaker to a greater degree than this when it is to be used in this manner.

Back
Top Bottom