Get Strapped!

I have that same PRS strap and... it doesn't fit on the strap buttons on my PRS. I know I could easily snip the hole a bit wider (take that one out of context!), but still think it's kinda funny.

I’m just ham-fisted, and made the big square peg fit into the small round hole 😆

Something I saw on a T-shirt in the pits at battlebots…

“If brute force isn’t working, you’re just not using enough”

Last edited:
Here are some of mine, I do have others, just not worthy for this esteemed thread. Then again, these aren't exactly "write home to Ma" straps.

MyStraps.jpg

From top to bottom we have:

Kliq strap - Comfortable, but not enough to get me to use it daily. Don't like the plastic bits to adjust strap length.

Anthology - Walk The Line - Whiskey Brown Leather Guitar Strap - B-STOCK (never could figure out why) - Got a great deal on this one and it is my favorite strap. Using it for my Martin J-40 these days as it is too long for what I want on my electric fiddles.

Peace - Got this one in late 1990's and it was my main strap until about 3 years ago. Now it is used exclusively for my Hwy 1 Strat (which gets very little play with 3 PRS now in the house).

Custom Moondog Wily strap - Had this one made by a guy named Nick in New Jersey. Paid way too much for a strap by someone who does not follow directions on a custom order (he did say he would make me a second one, no charge, and then ignored multiple emails asking when I would get it, that was 2 years ago). I could not believe how many strap makers did NOT want to make my custom strap (including Couch). I have been using this one as my daily strap on my PRS McCarty 594 HBII for the past 2 years now. It is ok, but for my heavier guitars, I can only last about an hour using this one.

Levy - I use this exclusively for my MM Stingray bass. Very comfy. I think Gator owns Levy's now. With my Stingray being around 10lbs, I need this wide strap and it has a descent amount of softness/padding to it as well.

I have set a limit on guitars that I buy to be <8 lbs as anything heavier I can not play for more than 60-90 minutes. My daily guitar (PRS HBII) only weighs 5.6 lbs, so I can wear that one all day and have no issues. My two CU24's are 7.2 and 7.6 lbs and they get limited time on my shoulder in part because of weight (I know, weak bastid is me). Just about two months ago, I purchased a harness strap system (not in pic) but I have not tried it yet because after receiving it, I realized that the system could cause some issues on the finish of the guitars I want to use it on. I will keep it because I have other ones I have no problem using it on, have not got around to trying it yet though.

I have heard really good things about Red Monkey and Heistercamp, but have never tried one. I do know that they are pricey. Looking forward to checking out what others are using!

Doggone-it… I just realized I’m going to need two more straps… Y’all got me thinking about a few things. Keep the suggestion’s rolling.

I do have the one from my 20s somehow 😬 which I made, is very supple buffalo hide I bought so long ago, but it would have to be tuned up.

🤔

I found Henry Heller straps not long ago, bought several, and am probably getting rid of the rest of mine. I really, really like them.

That being said...the ones I have are not at all stretchy and barely padded...so they might not solve OP's problem. But...they work great for me. No problems with PRS strap buttons.

c14bbae2-e54d-4b98-9047-bbcf18137b16.png

Just put a Glaser Bender on my Tele. I use a no name leather strap with a suede back. The suede doesn’t slide when I dip the neck to activate the bender.

I have three Couch straps and they are definitely my favorites! Interesting to hear issues with them, but this thread shows everyone’s preferences are different. The Couch straps I have are two of the recycled seatbelt straps and one of the decal straps. Other than those I’ve used the good ol’ Ernie Ball or Dunlop straps of varying colors. Personally I’m not a fan of leather, wide, or padded straps. Those grab too much and make me feel like my guitar is stuck and can’t move for the “solo with the foot on the monitor” stance. I think the heaviest guitar I play with typically is about 8.5lbs though, so not too bad, and luckily being right handed my guitar strap is on my good left shoulder, and not the right one with the three times broken collarbone!

Just put a Glaser Bender on my Tele. I use a no name leather strap with a suede back. The suede doesn’t slide when I dip the neck to activate the bender.

Oh yeah, the henry hellers I like have suede backs. I think they might be buffalo leather, maybe. The suede back makes a difference. I have one without it, and it does slide around.

Oh yeah, the henry hellers I like have suede backs. I think they might be buffalo leather, maybe. The suede back makes a difference. I have one without it, and it does slide around.
Some players like to adjust their neck angle while playing (up and down). They should go smooth for sure.

But it is suede all the way for me too. It is more of a reach to play on the lower frets so pulling your guitar up to a more classical position can certainly help with that. Many players do this subconsciously by playing rhythm with the neck angle higher and then they level the neck back out a little for leads up in the higher frets. Our other guitarist plays this way.

I had classical guitar lessons when I was a pup. My teachers engrained "proper" posture and neck angle into me. I think the right definition of proper should always be what works for you. But classical technique forces a lot of constraints on you. Now I look like a dork since I always wear my electrics in the middle of my torso with that goofy-headstock-pointed-up-at-the-ceiling look. I like that angle to stay put.

But I will never look as cool as Slash (or Page!) with his guitar slung low and mean. Lets face I would never look as cool as Slash even if I wore my guitars down there.
attachment-slash.jpg

Got a D'Addario Black Padded Auto Lock in the mail to me which was an impulse buy while buying strings. I was intrigued by the Auto Locks. Let you know how I like it when it gets here.

Back
Top Bottom