Get ready for more Ownhammer

greiswig

Power User
I'm on the Beta team, and Kevin has been working hard again. Apparently Scott's been helping out a lot, too. The new speakers and mixes are sounding killer! You guys are gonna want to try these when they come out. Not sure when that will be, but my guess would be pretty soon.

Nice work, guys!

I've had a chance to play with them last night and am super impressed with the mix files. Scott's input really shines here. Also with some of the mixes I concocted has left me in anticipation for my "flavorite" cabs/speakers. I'll try to get a clip or two up relatively "soon". :D

@jimfist: Not too sure where the bass IR's are standing at the moment with Kevin. Maybe he'll chime in here for you or just email him at: OwnHammer.com - Contact Form to see what he's saying.

I'm very high on these - and have a new mix based on them specifically that will be included (called (I believe) SP2). Just stellar results out in the field on the gig. I cannot be more impressed. No BS. No hype. Just seriously good drop dead simple with ready made professional level mixes included and simple single no-brainer (!) options for each speaker based on the mic used (Dynamic, Condenser, Ribbon, Rear and Room).

This is real deal stuff. Kevin's library of speakers is vast and includes some very tasty examples of very hard to get vintage stuff. You have to have a look/listen at/to this collection.

I'm very high on these - and have a new mix based on them specifically that will be included (called (I believe) SP2). Just stellar results out in the field on the gig. I cannot be more impressed. No BS. No hype. Just seriously good drop dead simple with ready made professional level mixes included and simple single no-brainer (!) options for each speaker based on the mic used (Dynamic, Condenser, Ribbon, Rear and Room).

This is real deal stuff. Kevin's library of speakers is vast and includes some very tasty examples of very hard to get vintage stuff. You have to have a look/listen at/to this collection.

agreed, and I've yet to throw these at a style/amp that they don't shine with. surprised me, honestly, because I wouldn't expect this cab to be so versatile.

been doing some beta work on this for Ownhammer, so my opinion might be a bit biased and come across as advertising lingo (so apologies for that up front), but this upcoming library is one of the best "works straight out of the box with least amount of tweaking" libraries I've tried so far.

imagine you're in a studio, have the "perfect" mic placement and say "let's try a different speaker". instead of moving the mic by half an inch, you're presented with the character of an entirely different speaker. I've always been into trying different speakers instead of mics. a mic can only do that much to the overall sound and character and if it's placed right, it's placed right, but you could never get the sound of an ElectroVoice out of a Greenback (maybe the reason why people use different speakers ?). this library is exactly that, many different speakers mic'd just right. no need for mega mix sessions (eventhough the results are great too), just load a speaker and you've got a near perfect representation of how it sounds in that cab.

very impressive and highly recommended (not even considering the amount and quality of speakers you get for the equivalent of a few drinks on a Friday night out...)

been doing some beta work on this for Ownhammer, so my opinion might be a bit biased and come across as advertising lingo (so apologies for that up front), but this upcoming library is one of the best "works straight out of the box with least amount of tweaking" libraries I've tried so far.

imagine you're in a studio, have the "perfect" mic placement and say "let's try a different speaker". instead of moving the mic by half an inch, you're presented with the character of an entirely different speaker. I've always been into trying different speakers instead of mics. a mic can only do that much to the overall sound and character and if it's placed right, it's placed right, but you could never get the sound of an ElectroVoice out of a Greenback (maybe the reason why people use different speakers ?). this library is exactly that, many different speakers mic'd just right. no need for mega mix sessions (eventhough the results are great too), just load a speaker and you've got a near perfect representation of how it sounds in that cab.

very impressive and highly recommended (not even considering the amount and quality of speakers you get for the equivalent of a few drinks on a Friday night out...)

Would this be a V4 approach then or a refinement of V3? Looking forward to trying them out.

Would this be a V4 approach then or a refinement of V3? Looking forward to trying them out.

V4 is how I had them labeled originally in my system as they are a different/new process I've devised and is not exactly the same as what I have been doing for a lot of the V3 stuff. I'm not a shill for pushing hype or snake oil, folks have enough of that to wade through in today's world, so in direct response to this question I would say that it sounds a little 'different' than the V3 stuff. Early on in the V3 libraries the question was posed many times - "Can I just buy one library that has all the speakers?". I wanted to accommodate, but felt a simple copy/paste of the files into a single store item wasn't enough. I had to up the ante, I had to throw new elements into the equation, I had to come up with something new and undeniable. This is that, and if it does well, there are a lot of other very cool things to follow that work off of the structure that it provides in addition to more cabs using the same methods. In this regard, this first library is critical to determining the path(s) for me to follow, more so than I can comment here.

Descriptors I'd use are more open and detailed, smoother, and more full at the same time, kind of a contradiction unto themselves - pretty neat. I've since renamed them to the "Multi-Speaker Collection" heading, which should give a hint as to the gist of the package(s), and a better notion of what they are for anyone visiting the page for the first time without even reading the product description. In this way, 'V4' would have been too vague, I think, and also a false impression that the V3 stuff is inferior, rather than simply different. In all sincerity, I am more than extremely pleased with the results of this first offering, and I think people are going to absolutely love the provided options, simplicity of workflow, sound quality, sounds quantity, and ability for personalization. :)

My two cents, anyway, take them for what you will. Sorry I have been absent of late, this whole thing has been a bear on the development side, and I am wrapping up the last little bits now. This will be out in the very near future, and a heads up - the first week will see a 50% off early bird sale, so I highly recommend keeping a look out for it!

As well, I want to thank Scott publicly as I have privately for his contribution here. The SP2 mix I think will do wonders for a lot of folks, it is different sounding from my mixes and a wonderful addition and value add to the package. A friend of mine has just come off a national tour with a very large and popular rock band, and when first going through the beta files his initial response was "I wish I had this SP2 mix for the tour!".

Massive kudos to Scott, and thanks to all the testers! :)

Last edited:
Kevin I really appreciate your interest in IR's and pushing the envelope.

Your efforts have improved the quality of sound for so many musicians and keep the modeling / IR world moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom