George Lynch and Chris Broderick discussing AXE FX

I've seen before, just remember feeling bad for George.. just felt old, like a changing of the guard type thing.

Last edited:
The words from George at the end of the chat are pretty inspiring, but yep, they both sound shitty. One thing that stands up is that there´s an interval of two years between part 1 and this part two, in fact, Chris is no longer in Megadeth!!

Yeah, the guitar tones are abysmal, but why is George recently only playing oriental/mystical sounding solos? His solos used to be so brutal and melodic, now they're just weird...

Yeah, the guitar tones are abysmal, but why is George recently only playing oriental/mystical sounding solos? His solos used to be so brutal and melodic, now they're just weird...

I always wondered what happened to him. To me, it seemed like when he went to GIT, it all went down hill. He came back sounding robotic, lost his feel, some of his cool quirkiness and substituted some of it with "tech for the sake of tech". Then, he totally lost the tech and just went somewhere else as a lead player, that I just no longer enjoy. :(

I didn't like that he dogged the AxeFx . To each his own I suppose.

That interview was posted in 2014, so it's at least a couple of years old. If he was using a firmware version that was a couple of years old at the time he used the Axe(which would've been a year or two before that interview), then he was using firmware from 2012 or 2013. There have been a lot of changes since then, so he might feel a bit different now.

That interview was posted in 2014, so it's at least a couple of years old. If he was using a firmware version that was a couple of years old at the time he used the Axe(which would've been a year or two before that interview), then he was using firmware from 2012 or 2013. There have been a lot of changes since then, so he might feel a bit different now.
I'm not so sure his opinion would change.

In the 70s there was a show called Candid Camera. They did a cola taste test. They asked a bunch of people to taste two colas, Brand X and Brand Y, and pick the one they liked best. Everybody had an opinion on which one was better. The catch: unknown to those people, both colas were from the same can. Some people will always perceive a difference.

Yep human perception is nearly always biased in some way and very easy to fool.

Saw a similar taste test where they were testing for the yogurt with the freshest strawberry flavor. Both were actually chocolate flavored. Not one person noticed. Both samples were in containers with strawberries on the label, and the people wore blindfolds when actually tasting.

Not much different with the Axe. We've all had it beaten into our heads for years and years that tube amps have the best tone. The idea that some digital box can sound just as good is just not going to fly with some folks. In a blind listening/playing test though, the results can get interesting.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure his opinion would change.

In the 70s there was a show called Candid Camera. They did a cola taste test. They asked a bunch of people to taste two colas, Brand X and Brand Y, and pick the one they liked best. Everybody had an opinion on which one was better. The catch: unknown to those people, both colas were from the same can. Some people will always perceive a difference.

He may be biased, but I get the feeling he's open minded. I mean, he did buy the whole shebang and at least gave it a whirl. I know he's able to dial in good tone, but whether he spent enough time getting familiar with the Axe is another story.

He may be biased, but I get the feeling he's open minded. I mean, he did buy the whole shebang and at least gave it a whirl. I know he's able to dial in good tone, but whether he spent enough time getting familiar with the Axe is another story.
And also, was he going for the amp in the room sound? I wonder if he knew it's a mic'd sound and not so amp in the room sounding.

Back
Top Bottom