Genz Benz 2x12.....put Celestion 30's in?? Help!

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
What would it do if I switched the stock Genz Benz speakers out for Celestion vintage 30's I hear everybody uses? I use a Mesa Power 2:90 that gives 90 watts per side in stereo.....I have poweramp cranked but output on Axe Fx only at 2 o'clock. Any other speakers that you might suggest?

Personally I love the sound of a Vintage 30 when driven with dirty tones. Cleans are ok but not chimey like a Alnico Blue. You might try the Heritage 65's but your still going to have to manage your volume somewhat. I would make use of the poweramp sims in the axe and ditch the Mesa in favor of a SS amp. If not then haul back the masters on the Mesa for some extra insurance against waisting the voice coils on the 30's.

fatoni said:
the gflex speakers are v30 clones

I actually believe they are G12T-75 clones.

FWIW, I have a G-Flex cab with a 75W Alnico Blue and 75W Alnico Silver Bell - both from the late, great Ted Weber. My main tone is a Marshall crunch and I couldn't be happier. The cab is also great for cleans, and surprisingly good for high gain, although I know there are likely better options for the latter.

Yeah...I like the stock myself....but since I have no GAS because of the AXE FX for Amp and effects it's what I can change I fixate on!

I agree that the stock speakers are good for heavy crunch/high gain tones, but I just can't seem to break away from the Alnico's for clean and moderate crunch - I just like the sound it produces.

I know some folks have used the 100W Fane Alnicos (or the Webers) with great results on heavier tones.

Or... You can try what I'm using. EV12L classics in a 2 X 12 cab. Very neutral speaker w/ 200 watt rating. Widely respected as a great speaker. YMMV.

Do you use cabinet IR's with the EV12 classics, or do they sound better without emulation? I'm considering swapping my stock G-Flex speakers with a pair of EV's for use as a full range cabinet for my Ultra.

Tremonti said:
What would it do if I switched the stock Genz Benz speakers out for Celestion vintage 30's I hear everybody uses? I use a Mesa Power 2:90 that gives 90 watts per side in stereo.....I have poweramp cranked but output on Axe Fx only at 2 o'clock. Any other speakers that you might suggest?

THE VINTAGE 30'S are 60watt speakers,no?you could do it,but,i wouldn't put the masters on the Mesa 2:90 past 12:00.
the EV12l are supposed to be great.i would have went with those myself,but i'm on a budget,so it ended up Eminence Delta pro 12a's.i'm really impressed with them.they're still in the break in period though.

As the owner of several G-flex cabs over the years, Ive experimented with different speaker configurations. The design of the cabinet makes this a great nu-metal choice, although Ive used it mainly for hard rock/metal, but its recessed mids nature (and overblown lows) makes it sound a bit un-traditional.

The stock cab is very midrange challenged (scooped in the mids). Ive felt they have a hard time cutting thru a mix & want to occupy some of the bass's territory.

A V-30 set will thicken up the mids pretty well, and still keep your bottom end.

My favorite replacement speaker (for the Genz cab), and the ones I currently have in my G-flex cab is a set of 100 watt Carvin British series 12" speakers. These speakers were in a Carvin cab I bought about 5 years ago. I bought it on a lark. Found it when I visited Vegas & decided to pick it up & try out with my Mesa Roadking & XXX amps. I ended up not using it too much because it was MID-city. Partially because of the cab design, but mostly just the drivers. I think of these drivers as Vintage 30 with a HUGE mid injection.
About two years ago, I decided to try them in my G-flex.
Perfect combination.
Nice, tight low end. Smooth mids, silky highs. Huge sounding.
The midrange challenged G-flex cab & the mid heavy Carvin speakers cancelled each other out, and are a perfect match.

Just my opinion.

BTW I havent played through any of my cabs the entire time Ive owned my Ultra. Close to two years now. Just the occasional use of my Black Pearl combo.

Back
Top Bottom