General Midi CC Question

NervousRex

If my foot controller always sends CC# 32 when I press 0 thru 9 button, how do I map a preset button (which sends a CC# 32 with a value of 0 thru 127) to a function on the Axe-fx, i.e. Looper REC or PLAY.

To put it another way, if I assign 32 to Looper REC in the Axe FX, Axe FX doesn't seem to know what to do with that. If I set the Looper REC function to say 120, pressing 120 simply pulls up preset 120. How do I get the Axe FX to respond to CC#32 Value 120 by activating the Record function?

Before, my post said this...
godprobe said:
Short version: what exactly are you trying to do? (regardless of the floor controller (please don't mention it in your goals :)))

Between this and your prior post...
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16409
...(linked in case anyone else is also feeling helpful)... I'm not sure if you're understanding the terms yet (not a bad thing).

What's confusing me most about your posts is the mention of CCs recalling a preset on the Axe-Fx. That shouldn't ever happen.

Long load of blather follows... :D

Generally, in MIDI as it pertains to controlling the Axe-Fx, there are two kinds of messages you need to be concerned with:
- PC messages (selecting patches a.k.a. presets)
- CC messages (controlling the individual effects within a preset and other miscellaneous functions)

CC#0 also has a special usage, to retrieve presets above 0-127 (or 1-128, depending on your setup).
CC#32 is often related to CC#0's bank select functions with other gear, but I don't believe it applies to the Axe-Fx -- just double-checked it with MIDI-OX and CC#32 should not select a preset on the Axe-Fx.

Checking out the manual for the Fender Cyber Foot Controller, it helps clarify a couple of things -- in your other post, you mention that the "Effects On" button sends CC85 with a value of either 0 or 1. That looked questionable to me, and I'm happy to read (this is a good thing and explains why that was working despite what was written ;)) that it actually sends a value of 0 or 127.

For the "Tap Tempo/Tuner" button, the manual may not be quite as clear. It confirms a value of 0 on CC119, but also states that a "tap tempo" message is sent which doesn't tell me much -- I'm left wondering if they mean MIDI Time Clock or something similar. And they also mention the Bank Change message as a small-print footnote to that button, when it sounds like it's sent on all PCs... a rather important thing to just footnote there, but then again, the controller doesn't seem to have been designed with vendor agnosticism (or manual writing :p) as a priority. Also, it doesn't mention whether it uses CC#0 or CC#32 or both for the Bank Change message and fails to make note of those in the MIDI Implementation Chart as well.

In other words... I don't like your controller :D and it's making it difficult to guide you towards whatever you might be trying to achieve. :|
(I get that you want to use your existing gear, if possible. Nothing at all wrong with that... unless it turns out that there is. :))
...and in a new edit after re-reading your first post one more time, it says this...

Since the PC and CC#32 messages seem to be inseparable on your particular foot controller, I don't believe you can use the CC#32 messages for anything particularly useful. You can't use PC messages for the looper functions -- they require CCs.

Thanks for the reply. Trying to be as clear as I can, but maybe my terminology is flawed.

Goal:

Simply put, I want to use my foot controller Preset Change 0 - 9 buttons to trigger functions that are listed in the AxeFx IO "CTRL" menu. Right now, all these buttons do is change the preset to the equivalent preset in the Axe-FX. How do I change that behavior? I think once I figure that out, I can program the right behaviors. What is the Axe-FX "Learn" function recording, a CC or a PC?

Thanks for the simplified version! :)

The "Learn" function is learning a CC message.
What might be confusing you is that it sounds like the controller might be sending both a PC and a CC#32 with the same value.

Unfortunately, I don't think your controller will help you in this case, being that it's fixed to just CC#32 on the 0-9 buttons.
To control different parameters, you'd want different CC#s, not just different values of the same CC#. And from what I could tell from the Cyber's manual, that can't be changed. :|

Back
Top Bottom