General Connection Questions.

Frank P

Hey all, I just snagged a B-stock AX-8 and I'm stoked to get to give it a run after wanting to join Fractal for all these years. I just have some basic questions regarding connections to an audio interface.

I am currently looking at grabbing a Scarlett 2i4 for recording. I am mainly going to be recording metal, with guitars generally panned L/R. I was wondering if I need to run 2 cables out of the AX8 output 1 L/R into the 2i4, or will running one cable from the L(mono) output give me the same results? Any benefits to doing stereo outputs that I'm overlooking? Also, from what I've been reading, a normal TS cable connection from the AX8 to the 2i4 is what I should be looking at?

Also, before I jump on the 2i4, I've been considering upgrading to a 6i6 for the SPIDF connections....which I know basically nothing about. Is it worth the current $70 price jump to have that connection for the AX8?

if you are recording and doing the Left and Right tracks one at a time, then you only need 1 output from the AX8. if you setup separate Left vs Right sounds in the AX8 itself and want to record those at the same time, then you'll need 2 cables from the AX8.

TS or XLR to the interface will work the same. i haven't used SPDIF ever and my recordings have been great. those who have used it might know of some additional resulting benefits.

In case you're recording mono I don't think SPDIF is worth the hassle. I use it because it needs just a single cable to go stereo from the AX8 to the audio interface but it requires me to fix the sample rate at the audio interface everytime I turn it on.

Back
Top Bottom