Gelenec 8010s or iloud micros

drnat

Inspired
Wanting a quiet, good quality speaker option to compliment my headphones. Any views/comments on either of these options?

Thanks

My experience so far is that it depends on what you're doing with the FM3.

I configured my initial presets on Genelec 8020As and studio headphones but have since realized that I am better off doing the tweaking on my IEMs and PA speakers, because that's how the audience and other musicians I'm playing with will be hearing it, and it can make a significant difference for EQ and levels. Will likely do final tweaking at rehearsals with other instruments present.

My experience so far is that it depends on what you're doing with the FM3.

I configured my initial presets on Genelec 8020As and studio headphones but have since realized that I am better off doing the tweaking on my IEMs and PA speakers, because that's how the audience and other musicians I'm playing with will be hearing it, and it can make a significant difference for EQ and levels. Will likely do final tweaking at rehearsals with other instruments present.
Not likely to be gigging, just playing at home…..
Wanting to get some thing that sounds good at low volumes

As you probably know, there are several threads here that speak about studio monitors and what different people prefer in reference to quality versus price. I personally, for now anyway, have settled in with the Yamaha HS8s which I am pretty happy with. And they don't cost $2k USD per speaker. You state you are basically a beginner with all this and even though it appears you are willing to drop big money on your setup, I would take a look at some of these other threads to get an idea of what is available. There are some really good monitors available for not that much money.

There are actually spinoramas available for both of them. If the proponents are to be believed, the Genelcs are much better speakers.

I would read the reviews on each on audiosciencreviews.com and then try to figure out if you want to hear it yourself, but if I were comparing just those, I'd trust them and just get the genelecs.

Just in case....you do realize that the genelecs cost twice as much, right?

I have been using a set of Genelec M040 monitors for years and been very happy with them. They are afaik discontinued but see if you can score a set of used M030 or M040 models. They were originally a good chunk cheaper than the 8000 series.

I have the iLoud Micro's and I love them. My modelers sound great through them (Headrush Gigboard and tried a Helix through them). I would love an FM3 and can only imagine that sounding amazing thru the iLoud Micro's. That is why I am hanging out on this forum seeing what you all have to say on the FM3.:)

I think you would be very pleased if you were to choose the iLoud Micro's.

Not likely to be gigging, just playing at home…..
Wanting to get some thing that sounds good at low volumes
i ordered the 8010s and returned them within a week.

They were pleasing enough, however the level of volume before they started to fall apart was really quite low.. so i returned them.

If you have little to no space available and truly want only low volume then they are worth getting.. but if you have room for a larger footprint buy bigger monitors.

They were pleasing enough, however the level of volume before they started to fall apart was really quite low.. so i returned them.

If you have little to no space available and truly want only low volume then they are worth getting.. but if you have room for a larger footprint buy bigger monitors.
Just out of curiosity, did you measure the SPL where they fell apart?

Wow, wouldn’t have thought that would happen. Would likely only need for low volume, but still! Thanks

Just out of curiosity, did you measure the SPL where they fell apart?
Actually no.

I was looking for a very small setup for use with a groovebox on my boat, where I have a desk only 3ft wide.

I own KRK VXT8, Yamaha HS7, HS5, and KRK V4.

The latter of which was used for comparison as they are my office desk speakers, where a synth, MPC or other stuff is often used.... so wanting a smaller footprint that even the V4 i was open minded with "if only these were smaller". In all honesty i was mostly concerned about the potential loss of bass, and so was floored by the lack of usable volume...

everyone's MMV but they were the size i was looking for and so was quite irritated that I had to return them and use studio headphones instead.. which trust me, is NOT an appealing solution for a boat in the summer...lol

Actually no.

I was looking for a very small setup for use with a groovebox on my boat, where I have a desk only 3ft wide.

I own KRK VXT8, Yamaha HS7, HS5, and KRK V4.

The latter of which was used for comparison as they are my office desk speakers, where a synth, MPC or other stuff is often used.... so wanting a smaller footprint that even the V4 i was open minded with "if only these were smaller". In all honesty i was mostly concerned about the potential loss of bass, and so was floored by the lack of usable volume...

everyone's MMV but they were the size i was looking for and so was quite irritated that I had to return them and use studio headphones instead.. which trust me, is NOT an appealing solution for a boat in the summer...lol
Thanks @Mystic38 How was the sound quality at the low volume, and how did it compare to the headphones or your other speakers? Have you thought about the iLouds - either the micros or the iLoud bluetooth speaker?

I don't like my iLoud Micros at all. I really liked the Genelecs when I heard them. Would love a pair.

Back
Top Bottom