Gear Perspective

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
there's lots of talk about the AX8 and Helix lately, and rightly so. but i just stumbled on a new piece of gear.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ThetaProDSP

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 10.56.14 AM.png

Limited effects with hard coded switches, seems to be only 4 presets per bank or something, not much screen space for editing, no different Cabs for the emulated speaker output...

and this thing is $1300. for another $100 you can get an AX8, or for a bit more, a Helix.

it's just so funny to me to see so much argument over pricing FX8 vs AX8 and Helix, features, etc. while in other news, there's a $1300 device that is very limited in flexibility and features.

we are so fortunate to be guitarists at this time :)

I saw Ethan Brosh demo this (on youtube) and he made it sound great, and probably could make anything sound that way. But yes I agree the Ax8 is a lot for the money.

This looks sweet, really love the simplicity and lack of over the top screens etc.

I often think what a great time as guitarists we are living in!

Before I heard of the axe fx (around the time of the standard) and thought the Boss GTwhatever was the best digital gear out there, but lacked in something i couldnt pinpoint. I was in a right pickle about how to mic up my own valve amps and could never make them sound good.

A few years later, boom! There are great vsts, floorboards, rack fx, ipad apps: problem solved! Yeah none of the others I have tried match up to the awesomeness of the Fractal algorithms, but we all know that lol. I have learned a greater understanding of how to dial tones in on any device due to the axe, and now they all excite me!

ISP has never disappointed. I have some of their 1x12 cabs and they are amazing!! I really dug the Theta stuff they had, But this quite a price.

Back
Top Bottom