garage band question - A PA for bass drum/vocals/axe-fx

Hi all!

I have a wee bit garage band with a bassist, guitarist and drummer who does vocals. We're looking for a speakers/amp/mixer to mic the vocals, bass drum and so the axe fx can go directly into the mixer/amp. I see a lot of people suggesting qsc k10 or k12 or jbl prx series and what not, but it seems to me for my little garage i wouldn't need 1000 watts of power!

Any suggestions on equipment to suit my needs that wouldn't burn a hole in my pocket?

thanks!

Search the forum for "studio monitor" recommendations. Doesn't sound like a PA is what you need for your situation.

a couple things about studio monitors:

1) they're more fragile than pa speakers
2) they're designed to direct sound at a single sweet spot, not spread it around a larger space

i think back to my garage band days and a studio monitor probably wouldn't have survived our antics. you may be better off with off with a pa speaker. you can have a 1000 watts and never use all of them... that's ok. plus, if you ever decide to take your show on the road, you're already set...

While 1000 W seems like a lot, in reality most of that just goes to provide clean headroom. IMO starting with one QSC would be a good choice.

QSC K series, QSC HPR, JBL PRX, Mackie SRM or the new Powered Yamaha's will all do great for you.
If you want to spend less than $500 per speaker, then go used and try to find QSC HPR's, Mackie SRM450's...or the Yamaha's (not sure if there is a good used market for the Yamaha's though).

Do not use studio monitors....especially if you want to put kick drum through them.
In order to hear kick drum through studio monitors, while being in the room with a live band....your monitors would just be paper weights within 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom