Garage Band for Apple iPad 2

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
Touch instruments. Plug in guitar and play real instruments if you want. Guitar amps and effects, 8 track recording and mixing, 250+ loops to add, and you can e-mail AAC file of your song, and it's compatible with the Mac version. Wednesday March 2, 2011 10:50 Dan Moren

I've been impressed with GarageBand lately as it does everything that I've been asking of Logic. This could be really useful for me and I'll definitely grab it (when I get an iPad). We're rumored to get some iPads for work so I have to wait.

I would definitely use my ipad as a portable scratchpad. I used to use a BR600 for this. Hopefully it will work on the iPad 1 and not only on the iPad2.

Someone needs to build a really good audio interface for the iOS devices.. It seems the software end is coming along nicely, and with dual-core CPU on the new iPad it should have some decent horsepower to do audio stuff.

The Alesis iO Dock looks like it has everything I'd need for an interface to/from the iPAD. Not sure it will work with an iPAD 2. Kind of kicking myself for buying an BR600 yesterday (used).

http://alesis.com/iodock

Last edited:
From the Apple website:

In the Box

iPad
Dock Connector to USB Cable
10W USB Power Adapter
Documentation

Looks like you should be able to use any USB interface . . . . . ?

USB is only for charging (same as all Apple iOS devices). Sad but true,..... one of the biggest complaints about the Apple phones/tablets.

Well that's just poop. You'd think a "Dock" connector would carry some communications functionality . . . poop.

From the Apple website:

Looks like you should be able to use any USB interface . . . . . ?

I read somewhere that ipad software does not support external usb interfaces. Someone tried to record with external mic into ipad and it was still recording with built in mic. There are hardware ports but the software doesn't recognize if anything is connected there.

Ahh, I was just thinking that a 30 pin connector is some heavy overkill for just charging . . . .

I bought AmpKit last year, just a $30 toy to play with on my iPhone:

http://www.agilepartners.com/apps/ampkit/

It's cool but the sound will make you love your Axe-Fx all the more :)

It comes with a little interface to plug a guitar in, but it works through the headphone jack. So it's not digital IO like the 30-pin.

It looks like that Apogee is the first, but I wonder if there will ever be any multi-channel units with 1/4" line, XLR and MIDI ports.

This is the one Apple was promoting yesterday:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php

I saw this the other day, but one think I just noticed now is it says "Made for GarageBand, Logic, and MainStage". My question is, how does an interface that hooks up to an iPad interface with Logic or Mainstage? Unless they will be coming to the iPad too.

One other thing that looks interesting about this is that it provides digital in through the iConnector (or whatever it's called). I have the Amplitube iRig connector and it hooks into the headphone jack, so I hope the sound quality would be much better on this one.

Oh, I think I answered my own question by reading the whole page. It's output is USB which you plug into an iPad cable to connect, so it probably works with Mac's too.

Mark

Touch instruments. Plug in guitar and play real instruments if you want. Guitar amps and effects, 8 track recording and mixing,
ipad 2 case
leather ipad 2 case
iPad2 case250+ loops to add, and you can e-mail AAC file of your song, and it's compatible with the Mac version. Wednesday March 2, 2011 10:50 Dan Moren

I would definitely use my ipad as a portable scratchpad. I used to use a BR600 for this. Hopefully it will work on the iPad 1 and not only on the iPad2.

Back
Top Bottom