Bug? Gapless switching not completely gapless?

Random Hero

Inspired
Is it supposed to be a completely imperceptible gap? It’s not like it’s at all obvious in a gig situation but if I go from my solo scene to a different amp channel (a few other things change too) it seems like there’s a very small gap. CPU is at around 72-73%.

If I record it, I can see the gap ever-so-slightly.

Just making sure it’s not something I’m doing!

Preset attached.

EDIT: Also noticed a small artifact when switching from Scene 3 to Scene 4 in the 50w Preset below, going from a non-variac to a variac.

Attachments

• Dyn 100w Plexi800.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
  • EVH GB 50w Plexi Variac.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I could of lived without gapless switching eating up the CPU with this firmware update.
I would have rather had another Pitch Block added with an additional MD block with all the other currant add on's featured with this update.

I could of lived without gapless switching eating up the CPU with this firmware update.
I would have rather had another Pitch Block added with an additional MD block with all the other currant add on's featured with this update.
1.5 % is the gapless cost you could not get another pitch block or probably even an eq for that plus you can turn it off completely in the global settings

Is it supposed to be a completely imperceptible gap? It’s not like it’s at all obvious in a gig situation but if I go from my solo scene to a different amp channel (a few other things change too) it seems like there’s a very small gap. CPU is at around 72-73%.

If I record it, I can see the gap ever-so-slightly.

Just making sure it’s not something I’m doing!
I don't think it's "true gapless" (if such a thing is even possible), but just a clever delay/crossfade trick to leave some sound playing during the switching silence. But with certain sounds and tones and effects that crossfade can leave a noticable artifact, and I think there's always a slight little bump, but much less than the previous period of silence.

I think you can turn it off and get back the CPU, no?

So, switching between amp channels within the preset is totally gapless so it must be another effect in my chain switching channels that's doing it?

Edit: Found it. Think it's my Reverb block switching channels to a bigger reverb on my solo scene.

Edit 2: I notice a tiny gap switching scenes where only the amp channel changes but no gap when I just switch channels. Maybe that's it ¯\(ツ)

Last edited:
Not aimed at OP, but If people want true zero gap switching they should be morphing using expression pedals to morph between. Even a multi channel valve amp has some time between when switched.

Taking a look at your preset. I can confirm it is -not- gapless between scene 4 and 5. I put a synth block set track to "off" to keep a sine wave going and get weird switching behavior between the amp blocks. even if both are engaged.

After deleting everything but the amp blocks, gapless switching does occur. Copying the amp blocks to another preset also has gapless switching.Getting down to the bottom of this. Might have to brute force one by one what block is causing some weird behavior. (probably the reverb as you said)

Any other beta testers reading may want to take a stab at this.

Update: cab block is causing a gap switching from channel A to B. Also the amp bypassing/re-engaging seems to be adding more to the gap as well. I did test the switching using a multiplexer instead to reduce gap. But main culprit seems to be the cab block. Even if the cab block is in it's own preset.

2nd update: took another stab and there's also a small gap between B and C on the amp block 1. So with the gaps between the cab and camp block thats what I can report. Deleted everything else in the preset.

3rd update: Comparing this within my own presets that work fine on gigs since the release of the beta. The gaps between scene switches, while noticeable on a daw with a sine wave blaring through using the synth block are basically imperceptible in a real world context when playing. I spent some time on this preset testing it, but I think this is a good place to stop.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 9.20.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 9.20.56 PM.png
    400.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Preset in OP.

Right you are... The cost of reading multiple threads at the same time and not paying attention. My bad!

I did some legwork on this and can confirm it does seem that the Reverb 1 block is primarily driving a gap or slower switching time.

The crossfade in switching scenes between 1 - 4 (on the device) is fairly consistent (and minimal) however switching from 4 - 8 there's a visible increase in switch time and what appears to be a gap. This is especially true between scenes 7 and 8 (slightly less in 4 and 5 as @RoshRoslin mentioned) and removing the reverb block does eliminate the gap.

The other laggy crossfade is between scenes 6 and 7 where removing blocks gradually seems to shorten the gap between switching which we could probably assume is related to available processing power(?).

Screenshots to illustrate the above.

Attachments

• Scenes 6 and 7.png
    Scenes 6 and 7.png
    562.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Scenes 7 and 8.png
    Scenes 7 and 8.png
    341 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Taking a look at your preset. I can confirm it is -not- gapless between scene 4 and 5. I put a synth block set track to "off" to keep a sine wave going and get weird switching behavior between the amp blocks. even if both are engaged.

After deleting everything but the amp blocks, gapless switching does occur. Copying the amp blocks to another preset also has gapless switching.Getting down to the bottom of this. Might have to brute force one by one what block is causing some weird behavior. (probably the reverb as you said)

Any other beta testers reading may want to take a stab at this.

Update: cab block is causing a gap switching from channel A to B. Also the amp bypassing/re-engaging seems to be adding more to the gap as well. I did test the switching using a multiplexer instead to reduce gap. But main culprit seems to be the cab block. Even if the cab block is in it's own preset.

2nd update: took another stab and there's also a small gap between B and C on the amp block 1. So with the gaps between the cab and camp block thats what I can report. Deleted everything else in the preset.

3rd update: Comparing this within my own presets that work fine on gigs since the release of the beta. The gaps between scene switches, while noticeable on a daw with a sine wave blaring through using the synth block are basically imperceptible in a real world context when playing. I spent some time on this preset testing it, but I think this is a good place to stop.
Comprehensive, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom