Game changer for dialing presets!

Dirty145

Inspired
So I just took delivery of this unit and what a difference. Initially, I thought it was only for studio monitors, but it can be used for FRFR systems as well. I’m using it with my QSC 12.2. Took about 10 minutes to do the readings and I was ready to rock. I run my fractal into the box and then the box into my QSC. Turn on the correction and it was night and day. Basically takes the room out of the equation and the bonus is that you don’t need to be in a DAW or use software to apply the correction. I highly recommend checking this out!

Genelec combines the correction, interface, and speaker on all of their newer models. Pretty sleek.

Sort of...there are others available too, including from IK and Adam, where the monitors include room correction, but those lock you into a monitor and in some cases don't even have digital input. If the room correction could be built into an audio interface it would both avoid the extra a/d/a conversion and would allow you to use the studio monitors of your choice. I'm sure somebody will make one eventually. IK is probably already working on such a thing.

I think the winner here is that the correction curve is saved in the hardware, which allows you to just plug into your studio monitors and/or your FRFR and get a relatively flat response. My main purpose is for FRFR so this solution is perfect for me. No DAW or plugin needed..

Soooo a person could , in theory, buy this do the measurements save the frequency response and return unit? ;) I have no sound treatment whatsoever in my large room. I know I probably need it , I"ve just got so accustomed to how it sounds in my room and I'm not producing anything for public consumption. This Arc has my curiousity piqued a bit...but adding more a/d/a conversion concerns me.

Soooo a person could , in theory, buy this do the measurements save the frequency response and return unit? ;) I have no sound treatment whatsoever in my large room. I know I probably need it , I"ve just got so accustomed to how it sounds in my room and I'm not producing anything for public consumption. This Arc has my curiousity piqued a bit...but adding more a/d/a conversion concerns me

It's always been possible to buy a reference mic, measure your room with the free REW software, then return the mic. Things in rooms change though, so you'd probably want to keep the mic to do future measurements. In any case, always do whatever room treatment you can before relying on room correction software.

Soooo a person could , in theory, buy this do the measurements save the frequency response and return unit? ;) I have no sound treatment whatsoever in my large room. I know I probably need it , I"ve just got so accustomed to how it sounds in my room and I'm not producing anything for public consumption. This Arc has my curiousity piqued a bit...but adding more a/d/a conversion concerns me.
Measurement mics are pretty cheap. The mini dsp mic that is commonly used with rew is 150.

But, acoustics treatment is more important initially than room eq.

I should have qualified that to say something that doesn't require me to take out a second mortgage on my house :). If you add the cost of an 8i6 to the cost of an Arc Studio, it should be doable for well under $1K.
I have used the sonarworks software for this in the past. It can work well and is petty cheap

question for you guys. I know room treatment is always ideal but let's say that's just not gonna happen. Would these software and/or hardware corrective eq solutions make a big improvement overall? I get that some are used within DAW's but for overall live playing in my space is what I'd be interested in. I have a large open space but i'm not about to start putting panels everywhere.

question for you guys. I know room treatment is always ideal but let's say that's just not gonna happen. Would these software and/or hardware corrective eq solutions make a big improvement overall? I get that some are used within DAW's but for overall live playing in my space is what I'd be interested in. I have a large open space but i'm not about to start putting panels everywhere.

It can help with some issues, like room modes at one particular spot in the room. Other issues, like smearing due to echoes, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom