G.A.S. Flairing up. PRS or JTV

Kruegmeister

Experienced
My G.A.S. is kicking up (Gear Aquisition Syndrome)

Been tossing around a Line 6 JTV-59, JTV-89 and trying a Paul Reed Smith.

I have 3 Les Pauls, 2 Fender Strats, 1 Ibanez, and a Ernie Ball Petrucci PDN 7 String.
I generally prefer my Paul's for Tone and the Feel, so I like the JTV-59 for the Body/Neck, but I prefer the Tunings on the JTV-89... I know I can modify via software, but then the Knob will not Line Up, which can be important Live. So I am unsure between the JTV-59 or JTV-89...

Then part of me keeps thinking about PRS guitars.
Are they any good for someone who favors Les Pauls?
Are the $700 or $1500 range ones any good? Or do I need one of the over $2000 ones to have what I need?

Any input would be appreciated.

FWIW, this is my opinion.

The lower priced PRS models (presume you mean the SE range?) are fantastic quality for what they are, but they are what they are, a guitar built within a price/quality range. Given the quality of guitars you already own I think you will soon 'run cold' with a lower price PRS and lose interest. To some extent the same logic applies with a lower price USA made PRS, in that you will be compromising somewhere. I rate the USA PRS guitars very highly, I own a Custom 24 and Tremonti, but I hardly ever play them as I feel more of a connection with my Musicman guitars. You need to feel a connection with a guitar in order to enjoy playing it imo.

In this case I would suggest the JTV range would give you something a little extra and keep your interest due to the range of modeled guitar types on offer and they do get very good reviews although I've never played one (but I did own an original variax 700).

Alternatively, forget the ones you mention and get yourself a Musicman Albert Lee HH model which would blow any of the others away but then I'm very biased!

Good luck whatever you decide.

I haven't played a JTV yet.. don't have a clue about them to be honest. On PRS guitars, I think they've got a killer thing going with the Grissom sig models (DGT) but I have yet to play one in person that speaks to me. The one's I've tried have been fairly dead and just not that inspiring, but I find that I have to really search through Fender, Gibson or PRS to find a keeper (not sure how picky you are in comparison). I've started buying the smaller builders guitars as a result (OK- only 1, because I can't afford more yet). The top of my list on what I've tried is Asher so far. I have an LsL strat that I really like. I've given up on Fender and Gibson although I still own a few.. tired of having to replace everything on them to get them up to par and the Custom Shop stuff is over priced compared to small builders IMO.

All IMHO, etc..

IMO PRS Single cut all the way. If you lake Pual's you will love a Single cut. I watched a new old stock 10 top with birds go for $1,500 on eBay a wile back great deal for sure. You should be able to grab a used one in that range with all the goodies you want. The JVT's are cool and it seems that you have a large enough stable of guitars that you could go with ether one but for playability and tone I will say PRS.

The JTV 59 will give you some great guitar models and the tuning thing is ridiculously awesome. It really is like getting 10+really cool guitars and once you start turning a knob for alternate tunings, it's pretty hard to beat. FWIW, I thing the strat model sounds better than any strat I've ever owned. It is a really great playing guitar as well. I had my luthier install a compensated nut and that just put it over the top. Very happy JTV owner here.

I consider myself to be a Les Paul guy. But I have a PRS McCarty with P90's and a rosewood neck that is just a fantastic guitar. If you come across one of these, you owe it to yourself to check it out. I also have a PRS Singlecut, but I prefer my R8.

Back
Top Bottom