FYI Shunt uses CPU: 0.1-0.2% per shunt

Pulling this into the FM9 community.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/shunt-cpu-usage.183840/

I've been using shunts with reckless abandon to make the grid look pretty. Turns out each shunt uses a significant fraction of 1%. Add 10 shunts, it eats a couple %.
I'm getting about 0.2%. Maybe due to how I've used them, or due to FW updates.
It’s been mentioned many times in threads, and that’s about right; I figure a bit more than .2%. There’s really no alternative ways to use shunts, some number of them are needed to connect two blocks. We can substitute Feedback blocks to avoid having to use shunts but there’s still a little bit of CPU used.

I periodically take apart complex presets and rearrange the blocks to retain the sound and reduce the shunts, mostly out of curiosity to see if I can squeeze out some extra CPU cycles. There’s a thread somewhere out there where I did that and posted intermediate changes, and, even after some major alteration and block movement, the difference between the starting point and the ending was a few CPU %.

My thinking is to use enough shunts to keep the layout orderly but don’t waste them. Firmware updates can consume extra CPU and occasionally force the preset into the red so having spare CPU cycles is a good thing.

I've been wasting them to stretch multiple lines on a grid end-to-end. Oops.
It's not a big deal, just a couple cycles. If we're building a preset for others to use, and are leaving spaces for additional blocks to be added, then it makes sense to me. Austin Buddy does that, and some of the factory presets have some gaps for that purpose IIRC, but for our own personal presets I'm not sure it adds enough value.

I've seen the comment that leaving extras are for "future-proofing" the preset so they don't have to add extra spaces some day, but it's usually easy to slide in a shunt from the start or end of the layout using the column's grab-handles at the bottom of the grid so I "eschew the practice."

Yes, shunts are not "free" when it comes to CPU use. They don't use much, but sometimes it's enough to put you over the CPU limit depending on how many are present in any given layout. One of many lessons learned the hard way.

Removing unnecessary shunts took my workhorse preset from 82% at the most busy scene to 79%. Makes all the difference in the corner case.
Exactly - most presets, it doesn't matter, but when trying to squeeze in that last modulation block that you are never going to use but really want to have there so that all of the lights for your "fx" layout are on, it's important.

Exactly - most presets, it doesn't matter, but when trying to squeeze in that last modulation block that you are never going to use but really want to have there so that all of the lights for your "fx" layout are on, it's important.

Lol that’s funny. I use channel toggles to fill in the blanks. It does look a little sad when they’re not all lit up.

Back
Top Bottom